motorcycle license

Guest alexottaway

Guest alexottaway

Hi

I'm 25 and want to get my motorcycle license, i'm hoping to have my visa and emmigrate to oz later this year. I've had a car license for 7 years.

In the UK as im over 21 i can take a full motorcycle license straight and ride bigger bikes.

I'm not sure whether to take that license over here, but afriad it wont be valid in oz as i would have only had it a short while??!!!???

Can u take a any size bike test in oz?? or do u have to get a provisional first?

thanks

Guest pasha02

Hi Buddy,

My Advice to you would be to sit your test in the UK so you will not be restricted to any class of bike here, I sat my test in the Feb before i got here in the Sept, when you change your license over to an Australian one all the classes are just changed over so you will be able to ride any size bike, Not 100% on the in and outs of the OZ test but i think it is a lot harder/longer to get your full licence, they are really pushing the Bike death related accidents here at the moment, So in a way it's like they are trying to deter you from getting a bike, Hope this helps, Ride safe.

Paul

Hi Buddy,

My Advice to you would be to sit your test in the UK so you will not be restricted to any class of bike here, I sat my test in the Feb before i got here in the Sept, when you change your license over to an Australian one all the classes are just changed over so you will be able to ride any size bike, Not 100% on the in and outs of the OZ test but i think it is a lot harder/longer to get your full licence, they are really pushing the Bike death related accidents here at the moment,

Somebody tell the ****wits in the cars about it then , I must be a cat reincarnated 10 times ,the amount of lives i`ve had or not nearly had

So in a way it's like they are trying to deter you from getting a bike, Hope this helps, Ride safe.

Paul

Guest alexottaway

Thanks - I am gonna go for my bike license here in uk, then at least i have it and wont need to worry bout it when i get to oz. Got theory test booked up! :spinny:

cheers

Thanks - I am gonna go for my bike license here in uk, then at least i have it and wont need to worry bout it when i get to oz. Got theory test booked up! :spinny:

cheers

Good luck with the test.

Riding in Oz is fantastic. You wont regret getting your license.

It can be "interesting" here on the roads, but its personally no different to anywhere else in Europe IMO.

A good idea worth thinking about is taking an advanced bike test when you arrive to sharpen your riding skills if you take the UK test. Hart rider training are highly recommended : HART | Honda Motorcycles | Honda MPE

Ride safe.

Paul.

Depends which state you're in as to what you have to do; here in QLD you take a Q-ride course, which is basically a 1 day course (the assumption is you know how to ride already), and get your license at the end of it, no test at all. You can do a test if you'd rather but you really have to know what to do to pass; if you stop at an intersection with your right foot down that's a no-no for example.

You can ride any bike up to 150KW/tonne on a restricted license, if you google "LAM motorcycles" and your intended state you'll get a list of what you can ride.

Personally I think it's way easier doing it in Australia but be aware you can't ride around unsupervised on a learners like you can in the UK (check state requirements on the relevent transport webpage, might not apply in other states)

Guest Lyndhurst

my OH is doing the same thing... we are hoping to be in Oz later this year and has theory booked for next weekend so he can take his test over here before we go...

we have done lods of reading about it and this seems the way to go so he wont be restricted when he gets to Qld.

we read about the Q-test in Qld but to he honest we couldnt work out what it was..

Archived