Electrical licence

Wendy Robinson

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help........O/H and I have been in WA nearly 3 weeks and holiday mode is definately over...I would really like some advice on gaining A grade electricians licence My O/H was assessed by TRA so we are in the process of applying for ARTC once we have gained this what is the next step????? where do we apply...... and roughly how long and and expensive is it???? PLEASE some one help...

Thank You

Wendyxxx

Guest London Loaders

Hi Wendy

I will be in the same position once i have my visa. Basically once your husband has his ARTC, he will need to apply for testing through the Energy Safelt department in Western Australia. As far as I have established, there are 66 competencies which you can or will be tested on. There is a 2 week electrical trade licence course which he can take through the the College of electrical training Western Australia which costs around $860 with costs of around $400 for the books required. Hope that this helps.

Ian

Guest bernie
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help........O/H and I have been in WA nearly 3 weeks and holiday mode is definately over...I would really like some advice on gaining A grade electricians licence My O/H was assessed by TRA so we are in the process of applying for ARTC once we have gained this what is the next step????? where do we apply...... and roughly how long and and expensive is it???? PLEASE some one help...

Thank You

Wendyxxx

Hiya Wendy

My 4 month holiday is def over!! DOH!!

Anyway, yes, apply for the ARTC from the TRA. Address your application to Carl Walsh (he is one of the directors). Give as much info as you can. They will probably request that you complete a day practical assessment, where they will assess the practical side of your hubby!!!:laugh:

If you're in QLD, the next step if you want to get the licence quickly is to apply to PEER VEET in Adelaide. You can do a correspondence course with them, and then it will mean a 2 day exam in Adelaide, where you're tested on the Aus/NZ Wiring Rules. If I remember the cost is about $800 inc books. If you pass the same day you will be able to apply for your licence, and transfer the licence if you are in another state. If you check out another forum called 'british expats' there is alot of info on there about it. Think also there is another contact on here PIO called 'no1sparky'.

If you're in WA, another route may be possible, you will need to look at the WA state website for their electrical requirements.

Hope this helps, if you want more info PM me.

byrneyboy

Hi Wendy

Once you have the letter from ARTC you need to apply to Energy Safety which is based in Cannington for a temporary licence. Costs about $35. Once you have this they will give you details of courses for an A licence. You can either do a 10 week part time course or a 2 week intensive course. Not sure of the costs of the 10 week course but the two week course was about $800 and $300 for books. All fees paid can be claimed back on your tax return so keep the receipts. The Energy Safety people were really helpful so if you go down there I am sure they will explain everything.

Good Luck

Tracy

here is some info that may assist you, if you require any help just email me.

To who it may concern on this site.

I spoke to the main person at PEER Training on 14-7-2009, When you make your application for migration, you supply information regarding your training the length of training; you also provided evidence of the company's you have worked for.

When you make your application for migration you shall be going down the Vatassess route. This visa is for migration purposes only. The system is now setup for all applicants to do a trade test in the UK consisting of Theory & practical

Once you have the vatassess certificate you can then apply for the ARTC (Australian Recognised Trade Certificate)

It’s a lot easier for people to do the ARTC from the UK so when your here you can then do a recognised course to gain the Unrestricted Electrical License.

To Gain the Electrical Mechanic ARTC

1st if you give info of work styles like lots of contracting work on industrial, commercial, domestic work you supply enough evidence & info on the type of installations you have worked on also all differing tools used. If they feel that's enough evidence you shall be granted the ARTC Electrical Mechanic, end of story.

I recommend PEER in S/A that’s the easiest route believe me to gain the Unrestricted Electrical License.

With the Vatessess You still end up with the Cert for migration but in the long run it’s a nightmare mainly due to other components that come into play when you’re in Australia.

This means you can still do the Unrestricted Electrical License exams at PEER when over here; however there is a different system for Vatessess students.

For people who get the Cert of Electrical Mechanic & General Electrician, Electrical Fitter can also attend PEER to do there Unrestricted Electrical License no problems.

Now then apart from ARTC.

People who have been steered down the Vatassess route & people with General Electrician this can cause massive problems in other states, some states require what’s called Gap training of 160 hours training in a classroom at Tafe (College) this means you must also work onsite for 12 months keeping a log book of all work completed on a continual basis without any breaks in the work time of the 12 months.

you won’t get a Unrestricted Electrical License until you have done this logbook you only get a ”Restricted license” meaning you’re not allowed by LAW to work on your own.??? Who is going to employ a person who must have all work checked on a daily basis.

This is mainly for people doing Vatassess, people can go to PEER in S/A do the exams then have the Unrestricted Electrical License transferred to the state you are going to reside in then your fine, But as I say this is for vatassess people mainly even though you may do the PEER route you must do this Log Book for 12 months if your living in QLD

Problems are

lower pay

work checked continually

if you have a gap in the 12 months your buggered.

You can only have a restricted license for a few years then that’s your lot.

As I say I got this from the main man on Friday 03-6-2009 from PEER S/A

I hope this info is of some help to you all maybe not what you’re expecting but its real information When you do the application you must have all documents signed & dated then the documents become a legal document make lots of copies make sure all is correct or the application shall be returned to you with little info stating why or what the problem may be from the migration dept.

It’s” illegal” to work in any state across Australia without the Unrestricted Electrical License, NO insurance company would touch a claim if anything was to go wrong.

Then if you intend to work for yourself after obtaining the Unrestricted Electrical License you can go to the nearest Tafe (College) and do a 12 week x 1 night per week doing a Business course.

That’s in Melbourne other states shall change i can tell you that.

This is for the Electrical Contractors License.

When you have passed this course then you must obtain Insurance. It’s become normal now for Indemnity cover of $10,000,000 (Ten Million) dollars insurance cover.

Then you can quote for jobs in a legal capacity as I say this is only if you intend to be working for yourself, if you work for a company then all you require is the Unrestricted Electrical License.

If you intend to setup your own company & you have the Unrestricted Electrical License every job you do for any customer you must supply that customer with a COES (Certificate of Electrical Safety) one copy direct to the customer one copy to Energy Safe the other copy you keep for 7 years. Most installations are now being audited to about 30% in all states.

Getting the ATRC or Vatassess may seem to be the easy part once your here this is exactly what must be achieved to work as a fully licensed electrician in Australia.

Most Migration “Agents” (That’s a laugh) do NOT inform people about the information above you pay them your money then that’s your lot you’re on your own when you get here.

I hope this information is of some value to any people who may be applying for migration.

Myself I try to help people around Melbourne, there is another person on British Ex Pats who lives in QLD his name on the site is Steve’O he is fantastic and very switched on he is also available for assistance with information for the migration process.

The duration of the Unrestricted Electrical License is 3 years it’s your responsibility to renew the license you get a renewal reminder then that's all if you DON'T renew you must sit all exams again.

The duration of the Contractors course in Melbourne is about 12 weeks x one night per week

Cost of A class license about $270.00 per 5 years

Electrical Contractors course Now has become Small Business Course in S/A cost $1,160.00 to date 27/5/2009 one payment only. The course 2 x modules 1st Legal requirements + 2nd financial costing & planning the course is completed over three Sundays at PEER total duration of the course = 60 hours inclusive of projects completed at home. (Most of the work is achieved at home)

Cost of Contractors license about $300.00 per year.

Cost of Insurance depends on how much cover you require I have $10,000,000 (Ten Million) costing $500.00 per year.

There is also a Basic Safety induction course x 6 hour done in 1 day $80.00 at PEER

The original Certificate was the Green card or red it’s become the White card in S/A.

This card is recognised Australia wide, most sites shall require you to hold this card or you may NOT be allowed on site to work.??

This 1 x day course can be done at PEER.

A bit more info Regarding Licensing for Electricians

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf

From the Trade Recognition Australia (TRA)

If you are a qualified electrical tradesperson from a country other than those recognised by VETASSESS, you can obtain an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTCs) from Trade Recognition Australia to assist in your application for a restricted electrical workers registration. TRA will assess your current qualifications/experience and technical skills and list the units of competency that you have completed on the ARTC.

Once you have been issued with an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate, you may then make an application for a workers registration with our office.

If you are recognised as an Electrician, Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic, you may apply for a restricted registration with the condition: any electrical work under the supervision of a registered electrical worker.

To have this limitation removed or to apply for an unrestricted registration, you will also be required to provide evidence of completion of the approved AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam.

To obtain your unrestricted Electrical licence you will need an appropriate Certificate recognising your skills eg ARTC,ART,VETASSESS or similar you will also need to complete what’s known as the gap training of approximately 160 hours

Over a period of 12 months with No Breaks in employment

To complete the process you will need to be employed, carry a work place log and have a restricted electrical licence (fees for the licence are in the area of $300.00 dollars)

For further information on the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam you may wish to contact either of the following organisations:

Regency Institute of TAFE (08) 8348 4426

PEER Tec (08) 8348 1200

Regards & Best of luck with your applications, if you require help just ask

Arthur Quinn Melbourne

(PS) If you don’t pay the licenses or insurance, you’re unable to work in a legal capacity anywhere in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BRODEJ1

Hiya Wendy,

My name is John Broderick, I am from Cork, Ireland and we are awaiting a Skilled Migration Visa(147)which has been lodged with 14 months now.

We as a family travelled to Perth in June and cant wait to go, I too am looking for info on getting my Electrical License-its not esay!!! We looked at houses in Butler, Quinns and Jindalee. My wife gets very uneasy about the big move and I would love if you replied to me to tell us how you coped as a family in moving to Oz?

Please mail me-I really need to talk to someone like you, if you will mail me will you mail me by clicking on my username. It gets really frustrating at times because we dont know how far off our VISA is,

Yours sincerely,

John, Marian and the Broderick family.

You are in the worst place for the A licence. We discovered that It was taking about 10 weeks to be assessed then about 10 weeks for the course then the wiring test before applying for licence. So it could be 5 or 6 months to get the licence. We help people relocate (Obviously you don't need me) part of our service is to arrange for the cassessment / course / wiring test. This is done in Adelaide and the first person arrived in Perth on 5th Nov and by 5th Decenber had his licence. He then applied for the WA one and he is a happy chap. Good Luck

Wendy Robinson;

does your hubby have the ARTC or Vatassess, either way he can do the Unrestricted Electrical License at PEER in S/A. i would recommend he does the electrical distance learning course from PEER, he can sign up over the phone they send all books to your home, the price is about $900. dollars this also includes the exam, when he gets the books there is a workbook he must complete once this is done he is ready for the wiring rules exam, the exam is over 2 days 1st day revision (well worth it) 2nd day the exam NO Practical just theory for the Australia wiring rules.

Arthur in Melbourne

• 2 years later...
Guest SAsparkie

Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can assist me these are my qualifications I want to immigrate to Australia , WA, Perth

My 1st agent made a complete stuff up with my application doing the TRA route .

My 2nd agent wants me to do the vetasess route

I’m lost I need to know what is the fastest way to get my electrical license recognized so I can work in Perth

Any assistance will be gladly appreciated

Date: Institution Organization name and number

2012 Blue Dog Training Pty Ltd Registered Training Organisation Number 31193

Course completed Electrical Switchboard Safety Awareness

2011 Blue Dog Training Pty Ltd Registered Training Organisation Number 31193

Course completed CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the Construction Industry

Western Australia Construction White Card / Blue Card 426995

2011 Blue Dog Training Pty Ltd Registered Training Organisation Number 31193

Course completed New Work Health & Safety Requirements - Current January 2012

2010 E SETA NLRD 113898

Course completed Inspection, Testing and Certification of single phase

domestic installations

2010 Department of Labour (regulation 16) Manpower Training Act,1981 Number ZA0803986

Course completed Certification of Electrician 12/28/20937

mooney33;

its all changed now sorry to say you must 1st have the TRA & also OTSR then you can do the PEER course, however when you do the PEER course all states are now refusing to accept the transfer of the electrical licence from state to state on OH&S grounds, they are supposed to accept the transfer but they all refuse.

By mid 2012 the rules shall change again for the better, there shall be the one unrestricted license for the whole of Australia, then you can simply transfer from one state to another. so this means the PEER course shall come back into play for people, PEER have had to make changes to the distance course you can still do the course but its now over 5 x days,they are very decent people at PEER in SA but i would now wait until the changes are made if you intend to go to PEER & transfer to another state otherwise you may be wasting your money just now.

Hi Mooney33

Are you migration agents

Is there any way of doing the courses offshore from South Africa

I am the recruitment and relocation director for http://www.livethedreamaustralia.com My job is to find suitable sponsored employment for our clients. Electricians are a challange due to the reluctance of employers to take on Electricians without full licensing. We will only assist clients where we know there is a clear migration path which includes an electrical licensing provision. We believe there will be an increase in demand during 2012.

Guest SAsparkie

Hi Mooney33

Ok I understand maybe you can assist me in that field?

My agent I logging all my documentation on Thursday next week then she says it will take +- 3 weeks for my vetasess then I have to flight down to cape town to do my practical vetasess if they want to evaluate me.

In mean time I want to in role with TAFE WA for “IV electrical engineering course “ do you think that will be an wise move, or would you suggest another course in your history

I want to work on mines

Hi all!

ok so my other half is looking to get his electrical licence for NSW.

He's a fully qualified electrican so can anyone tell me what is required? the fair trading website is so confusing!

Must he complete a trade recognition form? Do an exam? Does it make a difference that he only wants a NSW licence?

Thanks in advance. Advice greatly appriciated!!

• 1 year later...
mooney33;

its all changed now sorry to say you must 1st have the TRA & also OTSR then you can do the PEER course, however when you do the PEER course all states are now refusing to accept the transfer of the electrical licence from state to state on OH&S grounds, they are supposed to accept the transfer but they all refuse.

By mid 2012 the rules shall change again for the better, there shall be the one unrestricted license for the whole of Australia, then you can simply transfer from one state to another. so this means the PEER course shall come back into play for people, PEER have had to make changes to the distance course you can still do the course but its now over 5 x days,they are very decent people at PEER in SA but i would now wait until the changes are made if you intend to go to PEER & transfer to another state otherwise you may be wasting your money just now.

Can you please update me what is the current status ? plus what is TRA & OTSR (1st must have the TRA & also OTSR then you can do the PEER course) is this the web site for the peer course http://www.peer.com.au/default.aspx

plus if you take a FIFO job do you have any comms at the remote location ie phones/ mobile phones / email / www

all the best ian

• 3 years later...

"Trades Test" at PEER in Adelaide

Hello all. I'm wondering in anyone has been through an electrical ‘Trades Test’ at Peer in Adelaide. My scenario is slightly different from normal but, in short, PEER have said the the Cert III Electrotechnology RPL process is most relevant for my situation. This requires you to do a 'trades test' which then determines what gap training requirements you need to fulfill. After this you still need to do the usual 12 months of work experience all documented on the eprofiling system.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of things are tested in the 'trades test'?

Cheers

James

Archived