Australian citizenship

Clackkit

Myself and Hubby are returning home but have the intention of coming back to Oz (Have to take care of my mum). I dont believe we will be returning for about 20 years I dont think our PR status would be valid. So were thinking of applying for citizenship so that we can return and live here as origionally intended.

My question is for all those that have previously taken the citizenship test is there a period that we have to remain in australia to have Citizenship (Like PR you must be here for 2) and how long did it take between you applying for the test and the citizen ship status being granted?

Thanks

C

In perth, when I rang to check about dates, they were booking 9 weeks in advance . If you pass your test then you can put in your application on the same day. They then go through a series of checks - which you can clear within a day or 4 weeks. We got our notification 3 weeks later (although the letter was dated 4 days previously). You nominate where you want to do your citizenship ceremony, and when you get your letter of notification that your application has been successful, they also send confirmation to the place you've nominated. They say that your ceremony can be upto a 6 month wait. We did our test on Feb 2nd, notified on Feb 23rd and did our ceremony (which are held monthly in our shire) on June 18th - the time scale could be quicker or longer. you're not officially a citizen until you've done the ceremony

Archived