Is Adelaide Behind The Times

Guest SamSam

Guest SamSam

Hi Folks,

My husband tells me Adelaide is about 20years behind the times.

Somehow i don't think this is true but i would love to prove him wrong (hopefully!).

Does Adelaide have the all up to date mod cons such as big American fridge freezers and plasma tvs and apple mac laptops etc...

I would love to hear all of your comments.

Thank You

Guest siamsusie

sam sam yes and the largest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere. We travelled over there for my husband's son wedding, it is a beautiful small city, nice beach etc and wonderful countryside. The Brossa Valley is wonderful, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised ssx

Guest SamSam
sam sam yes and the largest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere. We travelled over there for my husband's son wedding, it is a beautiful small city, nice beach etc and wonderful countryside. The Brossa Valley is wonderful, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised ssx

Hi SiamSusie,

Thank You, it sounds absolutely lovely and i am sure my hubby might be eating his words!

Thanks Again

SamSam

Guest Guest9973

I find it very hard to put into words and I've lived here 9 years.

At first you do compare everything with the UK and then eventually Auntie Adelaide grows on you.

It's conservative,laid back a little American,North Terrace can look to some like a University town.

A lot of values are way behind - people take you as you are,less snobbery,will still help each other out,less crime,kids can still grow up and have a childhood.

Saying that everything is available here that is elsewhere in the world - well nearly - someone is bound to whinge that we don't have Prawn cocktail crisps

In one respect Adelaide is not a big city but has lots of culture if you need it.

I've been back to the UK twice and going for another visit soon.

I find the UK a culture shock now and need to wind down when I return back to my home.:biggrin::biggrin:

Adelaide is certainly not as brash and busy as other Australian cities - but that is her charm that attracted me - but other people want other things.

Hi SamSam

From your opening line, I guess it is fair to assume your husband has never been to Adelaide!!

You will definatley have him eating his words. In fact, I think he would be very embarrassed to admit that he even made such comments. One things for sure, if you come expecting absolutely nothing (as he obviously is) you will think you've landed in paradise when you get here and will have a great time exploring.

Best of luck, Kazzarazza

PS. Tell him I have typed this on my laptop (4th one I've owned in the last 15 years) using wireless broadband. LOL

I'm going to gatecrash with some comments about Perth, I think the question depends on the criteria for the answer - yes Perth has all mod cons, with the asian trading market you'd expect nothing less, although I would say they are 'late adopters' of the latest technology - Foxtel IQ (Sky+) was just coming out when we were here a year ago and Tivo is being touted as the latest greatest thing but attitudes are different, I would say 'how the UK was 20 years ago' rather than 20 years BEHIND though.

Certain things concern me though, like a recent survey local survey that said 70% of respondents thought women should stay at home and look after their children and 'racist' jokes are not seen as offensive.

In my working environment there are some frustrations - I still have a 2002 version of Office for a start and the process immaturity is staggering. I had a meeting with the CIO today and somewhat apologetically he said they had been 'trying' to sort things out for four years but had been unable to find anyone in the local market place with the right skills. I am honestly no great shakes so I can only assume that the level of maturity in most organisations is similar so the skills aren't out there. My company really are 10-15 years behind.

Adelaide may of course be completely different! And I'm sure other people's experience in Perth may be different too, just adding my opinion/experience.

Jules

Guest SamSam
Hi Sam Sam,

We have heard nothing but great thumbs up for Adelaide from great reliable people who live there, So i think your o/h will deffo be eating his words lol

I totally agree Dawny. I have been in touch with people who live in Adelaide and they are definatley not behind the times.

I can't wait to get there because looks like our $500 dollar bet is coming my way loool.

SamSam

Guest SamSam
Hi SamSam

From your opening line, I guess it is fair to assume your husband has never been to Adelaide!!

You will definatley have him eating his words. In fact, I think he would be very embarrassed to admit that he even made such comments. One things for sure, if you come expecting absolutely nothing (as he obviously is) you will think you've landed in paradise when you get here and will have a great time exploring.

Best of luck, Kazzarazza

PS. Tell him I have typed this on my laptop (4th one I've owned in the last 15 years) using wireless broadband. LOL

Hi Kazz,

Thank You for your message and no neither of us have been there but the good news is bet me $500 dollars that he thinks Adelaide is behind the times.

Now he is going to be eating his words and i am going to be spending his $500 dollars loool.

Thanks Again

SamSam

Guest SamSam
I'm going to gatecrash with some comments about Perth, I think the question depends on the criteria for the answer - yes Perth has all mod cons, with the asian trading market you'd expect nothing less, although I would say they are 'late adopters' of the latest technology - Foxtel IQ (Sky+) was just coming out when we were here a year ago and Tivo is being touted as the latest greatest thing but attitudes are different, I would say 'how the UK was 20 years ago' rather than 20 years BEHIND though.

Certain things concern me though, like a recent survey local survey that said 70% of respondents thought women should stay at home and look after their children and 'racist' jokes are not seen as offensive.

In my working environment there are some frustrations - I still have a 2002 version of Office for a start and the process immaturity is staggering. I had a meeting with the CIO today and somewhat apologetically he said they had been 'trying' to sort things out for four years but had been unable to find anyone in the local market place with the right skills. I am honestly no great shakes so I can only assume that the level of maturity in most organisations is similar so the skills aren't out there. My company really are 10-15 years behind.

Adelaide may of course be completely different! And I'm sure other people's experience in Perth may be different too, just adding my opinion/experience.

Jules

Hi Jules,

Thank You for your comments.

Guest J-inOz

I have to agree to a certain exent that adelaide is behind other states in infrastructure and new ideas. The south australian government really doesn't like to spend money if they can help it. Whereas other states are updating things all the time.

We do have modern technology and are not behind in that respect, However, it made me laugh the other day that 'digital radio is coming"

Broadband is a pain in the arse here as not everyone can get it.

Most adelaide people are afraid of change and are quite happy to do things the way their grandfather did it and are not open to new quicker ways of doing things, which can be a bit frustrating.

Julie

Guest singleme

Hi I will have to agree with your Hubby,

Adelaide is a back water country town, No forward thinking or planning ( look at the southern express way, for that ) the town is all hot wind of what they want to do but have not got the Balls to do.

I would head to Perth Or Brisbane, if you like going out dont come here, all closed by 9 pm

but yes for 4 months of the year we have nice beaches, with a cold sea.

Guest J-inOz

I couldn't have said it better myself. The advert for tourism for SA boasts wineries and beaches. Hasn't most if not all states got these things. Adelaide is the butt of many jokes from other states.

Guest guest30038

Adelaide is the butt of many jokes from other states.

So was Qld up till about 10 yrs ago so things do/can change............perhaps Adelaide will catch up.......................someday ?

kev

Guest J-inOz

We can only hope but I don't want to wait 10 years. I can't imagine Adelaide ever having the natural beauty that Queensland has. Yes it has nice beaches here and the wildlife (what you see of it) is beautiful but if will never have the charisma of Queensland.

Each to their own.

Personally I think Adeaide is a lovely place, it has a quaintness about it and yes it is a little bit behind the times but just nicely so. I found Adelaide to be a very friendly state and felt that there was still opportunity to be had there.

It depends what you want, there is probably a state in Australia to suit everyone, it's picking the right one for you, if you like a close knit friendly place then Adelaide has that to offer, also with the affordable housing still. Adelaide has beautiful beaches and dolphins, wineries, a small but lovely CBD - Well it had the thumbs up for me, even though we ended up coming to Queensland, the reason being was that the boys choose in the end (15 & 17 year olds) .

Good Luck

p.s. just to add that all the states seem to rib each other

Guest J-inOz

Like you say, it depends what you want. All the things you say adelaide has got, other states have and more.

You loved it so much that you moved to Queensland, sorry had to get that one in.

Like you say, it depends what you want. All the things you say adelaide has got, other states have and more.

You loved it so much that you moved to Queensland, sorry had to get that one in.

Hey whats your problem??? Yes we did we are a family and we make decisions together, my husband and children loved Queensland more, personally I loved Adelaide more, as to me it felt so right. I havent questioned how you feel and your decisions so keep your nose out of mine Thanks:hug:

Guest Guest9973

It's in the perception I feel.

There is loads to see and do here if you go a looking.The city is very vibrant - just don't get much time to get in there.

I find the sea lovely and warm - not that I care to swim with the White Pointers though!:hug::hug:

Guest J-inOz

Hey whats your problem??? Yes we did we are a family and we make decisions together, my husband and children loved Queensland more, personally I loved Adelaide more, as to me it felt so right. I havent questioned how you feel and your decisions so keep your nose out of mine Thanks:hug:

Oooh you can get your knickers in a twist. It was a light hearted comment. You obvious moved and you didn't want to, not my business I know. Don't want to know.

Julie.

Guest proud2beaussie

Julie,

Please remember that PomsInOz is a forum for people with different points of view and whilst you may not agree with them that does not invalidate their opinions,I would ask you to respect other members views just as much as I assume you would like them to respect yours.

Guest J-inOz

Tyke, where do you go to swim? I bet you were one of these peeps that swum the English channel. lol. I find the sea temperature nice if the air temp is 35 degrees plus but you won't get me in below 30 degrees.

Just another lighthearted comment, not meant to offend. Would put a smily on but can't get them on.

Guest J-inOz

Geez, it has all got a bit out of hand. As said in previous post it wasn't meant to offend. Bloody hell no wonder I don't post very often.

Guest Guest9973
Tyke, where do you go to swim? I bet you were one of these peeps that swum the English channel. lol. I find the sea temperature nice if the air temp is 35 degrees plus but you won't get me in below 30 degrees.

Just another lighthearted comment, not meant to offend. Would put a smily on but can't get them on.

I don't swim in that stuff!!!

Full of flipping sharks.

I do a lot of fishing from my boat, surprises me how the water keeps so warm.

We were out the other day about 40k's and dragged up lots of big snapper from 150ft deep - all the fish were very warm.

I prefer the pool and it has to be 28c for me. I'm Ard - cuz I'm Yorkshire.

No offense or gate taken - smileys should be over there ----------\ when you are replying.

:tongue::tongue:

Archived