Care Assistant jobs in Queensland and NSW

BuddysMum

Hi, another question from me.

In summary: What do they call Care Assistants? and what kind of salary do they earn?

I was a registered nurse for many years, a very long story, but I did a return to nursing course in Ireland several years ago but was unable to re-register when we returned to UK as I hadn't done enough hours.

I haven't really worked properly since. But I would like to when we move over to Australia.

In all my messing around I have realised that nursing is all I know how to do and I believe I am a good nurse, but to be honest I don't really want to be a registered nurse again. I love the hands -on practical care etc, and especially enjoy caring for the elderly.

I have had a quick look online but can't find out what they call care assistants in Oz even, let alone what the pay scale could be.

Also, how about phlebotomy? Do they insist on a nursing registration for that work?

Any other tips and hints?

ANy idea how I would fare with a work reference dating back to early 2004?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest30038
Hi, another question from me.

In summary: What do they call Care Assistants? and what kind of salary do they earn?

I was a registered nurse for many years, a very long story, but I did a return to nursing course in Ireland several years ago but was unable to re-register when we returned to UK as I hadn't done enough hours.

I haven't really worked properly since. But I would like to when we move over to Australia.

In all my messing around I have realised that nursing is all I know how to do and I believe I am a good nurse, but to be honest I don't really want to be a registered nurse again. I love the hands -on practical care etc, and especially enjoy caring for the elderly.

I have had a quick look online but can't find out what they call care assistants in Oz even, let alone what the pay scale could be.

Also, how about phlebotomy? Do they insist on a nursing registration for that work?

Any other tips and hints?

ANy idea how I would fare with a work reference dating back to early 2004?

They come under the umbrella of "personal care workers" and are paid well below the registerd nurse level, which often means, with ****s (freudian slip, I mean shifts) :biglaugh: taken into consideration, as much as $300 a week less than an RN.

You need a certificate lll in aged care work for most positions. Look here: Personal Care Worker (Operational Services Officer, Assistant in Nursing (AiN), Wardsperson, Aged Care Worker) - Department of Education and Training

Phlebotomist jobs (salary 45k - 51k) can be acquired with no experience via a commitment to train, resulting in a qualification such as:

Pathology Specimen Collectors (Phlebotomists) - SULLIVAN NICOLAIDES PATHOLOGY job ($17.20/hr) in Brisbane Metro, QLD ( Medical and Healthcare:Pathology Customer Service and Call Centre:Customer Service Medical and Healthcare:Administration )

Is there a specific reason that you don't want to renew/upskill on your RN qualification? it would open a multitude of doors for you.

You can PM me if you wish for more info re jobs in the Brizzy area

kev

They come under the umbrella of "personal care workers" and are paid well below the registerd nurse level, which often means, with ****s (freudian slip, I mean shifts) :biglaugh: taken into consideration, as much as $300 a week less than an RN.

You need a certificate lll in aged care work for most positions. Look here: Personal Care Worker (Operational Services Officer, Assistant in Nursing (AiN), Wardsperson, Aged Care Worker) - Department of Education and Training

Phlebotomist jobs (salary 45k - 51k) can be acquired with no experience via a commitment to train, resulting in a qualification such as:

Pathology Specimen Collectors (Phlebotomists) - SULLIVAN NICOLAIDES PATHOLOGY job ($17.20/hr) in Brisbane Metro, QLD ( Medical and Healthcare:Pathology Customer Service and Call Centre:Customer Service Medical and Healthcare:Administration )

Is there a specific reason that you don't want to renew/upskill on your RN qualification? it would open a multitude of doors for you.

You can PM me if you wish for more info re jobs in the Brizzy area

kev

Thanks for all that info.

Does that mean that I will have to get a certificate to work as an aged care worker then? Darn!

I did the return to nursing course and to be honest can't really be bothered to do it again. I'm 53 and have lost a lot of confidence since I last worked as a registered nurse. Even after the RTN course, I felt out of my depth with things that before would have come easily to me.

Also when I was working in the nursing home, I was frustrated that much of my shift was taken up with extensive drug rounds. I would rather be giving hands-on care.

Phlebotomy appeals though.

My other thought is to work as a teacher of English as a foreign language.

Stacking shelves in Coles would do. I just want a little part-time jobbie!

Guest spadgersdad

Hi I work in the disability sector and classed as a DSP (Direct Support Professional), pay scale $19,75 per hour permanent part time, and have gained many qualifications in this area. My advice would be when you arrive find where you are going to settle then look around the area to see what Health care organisations are around. Go door knocking and offer yourself for voluntary work for a while, it shows that you are willing also it will give you a clear indication if its the right organisation for you. Once you have been employed in Australia once then you can usually find care work very easily, we are always looking for DSP's (but do have to be qualified, although the organisation will pay for you to attain accreditation). Hope this helps good luck

Archived