Changes to UK pension entitlements

Sydney

I'm 52 and been in Oz since 79 and because of the upcoming changes to the UK pension it looks like I qualify for a 100% pension. It has always been a concern of mine since the Oz pension was means tested that I might not get a full pension due to the odd investment etc. As from next year to qualify for a full UK pension you only have to have 30 years contributions, it presently stands at 44 years. Because you are allowed to back date contributions to the National Insurance scheme you can increase the pension due to you. They don't volounteer this information. I was allowed to back pay 11 years which, if I continue to make the annual payment of between 400 and 500 pounds, I will get a full UK pension at 65 without means testing. Even after you turn 65 you can continue to contribute for a couple of years depending on your circumstances. The UK pensions association in Oz were very helpful and put me straight on quite a few points, because initially the Poms told me I wasn't entitled to much at all. You can join them for only $20 a year, and anyone who worked for as little as one year in the UK can qualify. At the moment they're fighting the UK government regarding indexation of the pension and although they lost a case in the EC of Human Rights they have pooled their resources with the Canadian and S African equivalent of Poms in the these countries. The appeal will be held in September and is a case worth supporting.

The association contact details are -

British Pensions in Australia

Good luck,

Syd

They do tell you that you can do this once you contact them about it, we were told and we paid the years up.

They still reduce the pension here though to take into account any that you receive from the UK.

Also the amount you receive the day you get your first payment it never increases it always stays the same.

They do tell you that you can do this once you contact them about it, we were told and we paid the years up.

They still reduce the pension here though to take into account any that you receive from the UK.

Also the amount you receive the day you get your first payment it never increases it always stays the same.

That's why they're back in court in September.

The UK pension isn't reduced, it's the Oz one that's means tested. One and a half pensions is still worth going for. You choose which one is reduced.

Guest SO,DIZZY

im not sure if I agree with someone who has contributed only a short time to the UK economy, getting a pension.. if you have not payed in to the system in tax then why should you be intitled to anything... if you have like myself and my husband payed in for twenty five years then all well and good.. you should only get what you payed in... and then after you have contributed for 15 years or so then mabey talk about full pensions.. 1979 was 30 years ago.. so how many years did you pay in??? and how you can even cosider yourself for a pension having left the uk when you were 22 is a bloody cheek..

regards dizz..

im not sure if I agree with someone who has contributed only a short time to the UK economy, getting a pension.. if you have not payed in to the system in tax then why should you be intitled to anything... if you have like myself and my husband payed in for twenty five years then all well and good.. you should only get what you payed in... and then after you have contributed for 15 years or so then mabey talk about full pensions.. 1979 was 30 years ago.. so how many years did you pay in??? and how you can even cosider yourself for a pension having left the uk when you were 22 is a bloody cheek..

regards dizz..

TAX supposedly has nothing to do with Pensions, its supposed to be entirely financed by the NI system.

This does sound like an extreme case though, reading between the lines it appears that you can buy a full UK pension for up to £15,000.... it does make one wonder

regards dizz..

Dear Dizz you obviosly didn't take the time to read my post, or possibly you did and mis-read it. Hence you're suitably chosen and appropriate name.

To date I've paid 18 years National Health contributions and will continue to pay the required amount annually until aged 65, which most likely will come to around 31 years by that time if I live that long. The fact I choose to belong to a pension fund wherever it is and pay my dues is my choice, and also the right of anyone else. If like some I decide to return to the UK I will get a pension whether I've paid them a bean or not. Since I left home at 16 I've never received government benefits of any kind in any of the countries I've lived in, and at aged 52 I'm considering my retirement. I continue to pay tax in Australia, but because the pension is means tested it's unlikely I'll get a full pension. I receive no tax benefits and have no children therefore am one of the many who pay tax to support the "rest". I intend working until at least 65 and when I finaly receive my pension it will be with a clear conscience. The BPIA does a great job providing information to ex poms who are missing out on their entitlements through not knowing their rights. Maybe your remarks of "bloody cheek" should be directed at the bludgers and wasters who continue to enjoy benefits both here and in the UK and contribute little or nothing to the economy. I was home twice last year and couldn't believe the amount of people now living in the UK who are dependant on the state for handouts. I've never been one and don't intend to start now.

Guest SO,DIZZY
Dear Dizz you obviosly didn't take the time to read my post, or possibly you did and mis-read it. Hence you're suitably chosen and appropriate name.

To date I've paid 18 years National Health contributions and will continue to pay the required amount annually until aged 65, which most likely will come to around 31 years by that time if I live that long. The fact I choose to belong to a pension fund wherever it is and pay my dues is my choice, and also the right of anyone else. If like some I decide to return to the UK I will get a pension whether I've paid them a bean or not. Since I left home at 16 I've never received government benefits of any kind in any of the countries I've lived in, and at aged 52 I'm considering my retirement. I continue to pay tax in Australia, but because the pension is means tested it's unlikely I'll get a full pension. I receive no tax benefits and have no children therefore am one of the many who pay tax to support the "rest". I intend working until at least 65 and when I finaly receive my pension it will be with a clear conscience. The BPIA does a great job providing information to ex poms who are missing out on their entitlements through not knowing their rights. Maybe your remarks of "bloody cheek" should be directed at the bludgers and wasters who continue to enjoy benefits both here and in the UK and contribute little or nothing to the economy. I was home twice last year and couldn't believe the amount of people now living in the UK who are dependant on the state for handouts. I've never been one and don't intend to start now.

I DID NOT MISSREAD YOUR POST.... you have been in Australia since 1979 and have payed very little in tax to the uk economy,, YOU after years of not bothering your arse have decided to backdate payments to take advantage of the pension scheme in the UK... there is no other pension scheme in the world would let you back date your payments to this extent....... me and my husband and many others like us have contributed all our lives and have had nothing in social wellfare payments either but we have payed more tax than i care to remember.... the uk pension scheme is not a private pension plan.. it was set up to help persons have who have contributed to the uk in tax and national insurance it is payed by us now to help pensioners like my father and mother and inlaws who also contributed and our children will contribute for us.. so mabey having a few children wouldnt be a bad thing.....and the fact that you will be getting back far more than you put in in contributions will come out of the coffers of mugs like us.... when we go to Australia we will pay for everything there so you wont be shelling out for me INCLUDING PENSIONS... if you have a problem with the Australian pension system then you should take that up with the Australian goverment after all you have chosen to live in Australia so you must have known what the pension system was like certainly not as laxed as the system in the UK.... but it cant be that bad if you are considering retiring at 52.....ALSO IT IS BEYOND BELIEF THAT SOMEONE WHO HAS LIVED OUTWITH THE UK FOR SO LONG WITHOUT CONTRIBUTING TO ITS INFRASTRUCTURE ,CAN HAVE ANY PENSION INTITLEMENTS..... I ALWAYS NEW THIS COUNTRY WAS SHELLING OUT FOR SPONGERS LIVING IN THE COUNTRY IM OVERWELMED THAT WE ARE DUTY BOUND TO PAY FOR SPONGERS IN OTHER COUNTRIES and as for TAKING A DIG AT MY MY USER NAME ...STICKS AND STONES MATE.... AND THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE THANKED THIS POSTER SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES....... JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE VERY FLAWED UK PENSION SYSTEM DOES NOT MEAN ITS RIGHT.. ITS DISGUSTING....

Guest SO,DIZZY

Brief History of the State Pension

State pensions are pensions paid by the government to individuals. State pensions have been in existence in the UK since the early 1900's when Lloyd George then chancellor of The Exchequer under the Liberal government led by Herbert Asquith, introduced the very first state pension. It is widely acknowledged that Lloyd George was influenced by the ideas of Tom Paine and especially his book The Rights of Man published in 1791. Paine strongly recommended progressive taxation, family allowances, old age pensions, maternity grants and the abolition of the House of Lords.

Lloyd George had been a long opponent of the Poor Law in Britain. He was determined to take action that in his words would "lift the shadow of the workhouse from the homes of the poor". He believed the best way of doing this was to guarantee an income to people who were to old to work. Lloyd George's measure, the Old Age Pensions Act, provided between 1s. and 5s. a week to people over seventy. These pensions were only paid to citizens on incomes that were not over 12s. (means tested)

In 1902 George Barnes General Secretary of the Amalgamated Society of Engineers, formed the National Committee of Organised Labour for Old Age Pension. Barnes spent the next three years travelling the country urging this social welfare reform. The measure was extremely popular and was an important factor in Barnes being able to defeat Andrew Bonar Law, the Conservative cabinet minister in the1906 General Election.

To pay for these pensions Lloyd George had to raise government revenues by an additional £16 million a year. In 1909 Lloyd George announced what became known as the People's Budget. This included increases in taxation. Whereas people on lower incomes were to pay 9d in the pound, those on annual incomes of over £3,000 had to pay 1s. 2d. in the pound. Lloyd George also introduced a new supertax of 6d. in the pound for those earning £5000 a year. Other measures included an increase in death duties on the estates of the rich and heavy taxes on profits gained from the ownership and sale of property.

At this time the amount of pension was minimal and it was originally designed for the very poor. The Lloyd George pension required no contributions, was “means tested” (i.e. based upon how much money you have, and what you needed) and was payable from age 70. The system has changed since then including a change in the retirement age to 65 for men and 60 for women, and the introduction of SERPS in April 1978. The Labour Government of the time was set on providing a good and reliable second tier pension paid by the State financed by National Insurance contributions. Women and those on low pay were high on the list of those it was intended to help.

Today the state pension is more substantial but it is unlikely to provide enough income to satisfy the needs of an average person. As a result of this people will probably have to have some other form of income in retirement and for most people this will mean saving for an additional source of pension.

Who is entitled to state pension?

The entitlement to a state pension is a relatively complicated area and gets explained in more detail in the Department of Works and Pensions leaflet PM2, which is a guide to the state pension. The fundamental requirement however is that you have worked in the UK at some point in your life and have paid national insurance contributions.

For that reason many people in the UK, and ex patriots, will qualify for some sort of state pension. People will qualify for different amounts of pension depending on their contribution record. If people want to know more then they can request a forecast from the Department of Work and Pensions or read PM2, the State Pensions guide.

If for any reason somebody does not qualify for State Pension, they can claim a means tested benefit via their local Department Of Works and Pension Benefit Office.

Who pays the state pension?

The money needed to pay state pensions comes from taxation. Therefore everybody who works and whose income is sufficiently high so as to pay tax will contribute towards the expense. The system operates on a Pay As You Go (PAYG) basis. This means that no state 'pension fund' actually exists. Money from taxation is collected one week and paid out to pensioners the next. Therefore people who are pensioners today have their pension paid for by people who are working today. When the people who are working today come to retirement their pensions will be paid (hopefully) by the people working at that time. It is a common misunderstanding but you are not saving for your own pension when you make national insurance contributions instead you are paying for the current pensioners to receive their pension. Confirmed in leaflet PM2.

Additional Pension ( SERPS)

What is it?

The Additional State Pension is payable on top of the Basic State Pension and was introduced with effect from 5 April 1978. The Additional State Pension is an earnings related pension. Therefore the more you get paid (actually the more national insurance you pay) the more pension you should receive.

This is a second layer of state pensions and effectively provides a top up pension based on an individual’s level of earnings over their career. Unlike the Basic State Pension the amount of pension you receive from the Additional State Pension is as a direct result of the amount you earned and hence the amount of national insurance contributions you paid (* Basic State Pension depends only on the number of qualifying years irrespective of the actual amount of national insurance contributions actually paid).

History

When the Additional State Pension was introduced in 1978 it was called The State Earnings Related Pension Scheme (SERPS). This continued until 5 April 2002 although it did receive some modifications along the way, which have reduced its value. On 5 April 2002 SERPS was replaced with The State Second Pension (S2P). This is also related to earnings over contributors working life but works in a slightly different (more intricate) way to SERPS.

So currently the Additional State Pension consists of two parts. The first part was applicable from 5 April 1978 to 5 April 2002 and was called SERPS. The accrual of SERPS pension stopped in 2002 (although you will still receive any pension earned to this date) and was replaced with S2P for accrual of pension from 2002. S2P is still in existence now although it is likely this will change in the near future.

© Incipit Ltd. 2005 - All Rights Reserved

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE FLAWED PENSION SYSTEM IN THE UK PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE WORD TAX..

REGARDS DIZZ....

Guest siamsusie

Very interesting post Sydney, and something I will look into whilst I am here. With regards to British Pensions in Australia I will definately join us, many thanks for brining this to our attention, you learn something new in here every day thank you very much ss x

Very interesting post Sydney, and something I will look into whilst I am here. With regards to British Pensions in Australia I will definately join us, many thanks for brining this to our attention, you learn something new in here every day thank you very much ss x

Hey Susie, glad to be of some assistance and happy this info might be helpful. Not too sure why feathers have been ruffled because of this subject, but not surprising I suppose. The whinging pom definition is alive and well.

I initially found this website because I was seeking information on shipping things to the UK and for this purpose the site has been helpful. It was then I had this bright idea of sharing the latest hand downs on the UK pensions. Quite a few of us get misinformation or no information at all. It's quite possible I could find myself back in the UK at pension age and didn't want to have the whole pension thing "in the balance", or indeed be one of those people who front up and expect something without having contributed anything, hence my enquiries to the likes of BPIA. They are headed by retired accountants etc who have done a great job for no financial reward. Some of the views on here don't surprise me, and it's unlikely I'll be posting on here again, but I will reply at some stage to the sick individual who managed to launch such a mis guided and vitriolic attack because I am entitled by law to a pension, and dared to share this info in the off chance others might benefit. The court case in September has come about because the pension to those in Oz is not indexed for annual increases like Spain and the W Indies. Lots of UK pensioners in Canada, NZ, etc don't receive an annual increase which is in my opinion unfair.

Please feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.

Syd

Guest siamsusie

Sydney, I will pm you if I may. If you are in the heart of London which I am, the Government offices dealing with pensions etc are an absolute nightmare. Even they are not aware of many situations and fob you off when they can. Actually Inland Revenue are very helpful lol surprise surprise, but whenever I have been fortunate enough to have a rebate the cheque has always been in the post pretty quickly. I found your post extremely informative, and I am sure many people can/will benefit from this. This is the best forum available for me and I am gleaning knowledge every damned hour I am on PIO lol (it has to stop lol), so DONT go just because of one poster, costs nothing to be nice and pleasant and if people dont agree well as Tracy just told me CLICK lol lol

Guest siamsusie

Dear Dizzie,

IMHO I feel Sydney was contributing some important information for PIO members. Some very senior professional Brits in Australia feels there is a case to answer and I respect that, lets face it Dizzy I dont think any of us tax payers have ever had something for nothing in GB and I for one will be interested in the outcome in Brussels., and without a doubt they would get my full support. I personally am not aware of what "dues" Sydney has paid into the system and quite frankly it not my business. Say for example Sydney was forced to return to the Uk and landed at Heathrow without a penny in his pocket, I for one would hope as a British passport holder he would be well looked after by the state, why not? we have a duty of care!.

One of the problems with a forum is "the written word" it is so easy to misconstrue what is exactly happening on occasions, also each and every one of us have their "sensitive day" (that includes me Dizzy, I really try to be careful what I write, and careful not to offend but of course I can do for which I apologise!) but what I do find is hard, is this constant SHOUTING (capitals=shouting) and dictatorial approach towards people. Dizzy if a Scottish family who were not entitled to a bean from the Australian government but the AG made allowances as a special concession, I for one would say "thank you god". Sydney retaliated and I am not surprised., I too dont respond by being shouting at by anyone. Best wishes and sincerely hope that Australia enjoys having you on its shores!

Guest SO,DIZZY
Dear Dizzie,

IMHO I feel Sydney was contributing some important information for PIO members. Some very senior professional Brits in Australia feels there is a case to answer and I respect that, lets face it Dizzy I dont think any of us tax payers have ever had something for nothing in GB and I for one will be interested in the outcome in Brussels., and without a doubt they would get my full support. I personally am not aware of what "dues" Sydney has paid into the system and quite frankly it not my business. Say for example Sydney was forced to return to the Uk and landed at Heathrow without a penny in his pocket, I for one would hope as a British passport holder he would be well looked after by the state, why not? we have a duty of care!.

One of the problems with a forum is "the written word" it is so easy to misconstrue what is exactly happening on occasions, also each and every one of us have their "sensitive day" (that includes me Dizzy, I really try to be careful what I write, and careful not to offend but of course I can do for which I apologise!) but what I do find is hard, is this constant SHOUTING (capitals=shouting) and dictatorial approach towards people. Dizzy if a Scottish family who were not entitled to a bean from the Australian government but the AG made allowances as a special concession, I for one would say "thank you god". Sydney retaliated and I am not surprised., I too dont respond by being shouting at by anyone. Best wishes and sincerely hope that Australia enjoys having you on its shores!

Im sure Suzie for many individuals that is valuable information.. on how to claim your pension when you immigrate its probibly something you will not even think about.... but if you had read Sidneys post he has said quite clearly he has been living in oz for thirty years and has only recently decided to backdate his NI contributions which at this late stage is somewhat rather bemusing to me... given that he stands to get back ten times a month what he is paying in or plans to pay in in the future.. I would like to think that after all this time having contributed little else to the uk this would not be possible.. come on thirty years.. its a long time its more than my working life.. and ive been working for twenty four years... and contributed more than my share in tax... it is very hard in these situations not to get fired up.. and at the end of the day it should be the goverment that should be taking the flack for allowing this to be possible.... It is obviouse that some of PIO menbers are much more emotive and much more offensive than myself as seen in the post above... but i willl take your points on board.

regards dizz.. or mabey a flat in Queensway with a view of Hyde Park....

Guest siamsusie

Hi Dizzy,

"Dear Dizz you obviosly didn't take the time to read my post, or possibly you did and mis-read it. Hence you're suitably chosen and appropriate name.

To date I've paid 18 years National Health contributions and will continue to pay the required amount annually until aged 65, " quote by Sydney.

I think Sydney means he has paid National Insurance for 18 years and has continued and will continue until he has reached 65. I dont think that Sydney has gone into this Dizzy with his eyes closed, from what I gather he has continued to pay his dues., and whether he will or will not return to the Uk I feel it is commendable that he has contributed at all. As I mentioned earlier, social services kick in whether we like it or not for hardship cases (but we wont go into this, because there have been many injustices for British citzs. and nationals) surely this is an honest route he is taking, and quite honestly right now I doubt whether your MP would be too interested, because the existing government seem to have their own hands full with their own scams and inconsistencies vis a vis their own pensions lol. Lets leave it like this Dizzy, and hopefully Sydney will keep us informed of our rights from little olde worldie Britain ss

Guest wingywangwoo

i will say i totally agree with what sydney is doing, so what if he has been living in oz for 30 years, he paid 18 years worth before he left and has been looking into making payments for his retirement at 65. I say take the government for what you can because they dont do anybody any favours unless you are one of the boys.I too will also be claiming a pension when my time comes, that means i will have a uk, oz and a private pension to live off not to mention the thousands i have saved, so guess who will be living it up when im old, me. I do notice nothing is said about the hate preaching individuals who come to the uk who want nothing more than to see us die, and they are given houses and thousands a year in handouts, perhaps a little bit of thought before irrational fuming in the future, eh?

Guest siamsusie

I am awaiting my Spouse visa dizzy, and I have worked for 20 odd years in Asia so seen a lot Diz. I have always paid my dues to this country meaning my NI..... sold my wonderful home in Scotland and have come down to London.... it did me make smile when Dr Singh here in London asked me for my British passport to see if I was entitled to NH service here but c'est la vie Dizzy, we live in another world and seeing I am in the same profession sure I was miffed but I must learn to live with the times lol. Good luck Dizzy in Austalia Dizzy looking forward to reading more posts from you when you arrive ss

I say take the government for what you can because they dont do anybody any favours unless you are one of the boys.I too will also be claiming a pension when my time comes, that means i will have a uk, oz and a private pension to live off not to mention the thousands i have saved, so guess who will be living it up when im old, me. ?

Me too....oh and i'm on a governemnt final salary pension that your taxes have paid for DIZZ...cheers :tongue:

Oh, and i'll get one from Aus too...hope you get there cos then it will be your taxes again DIZZ ...cheers again :tongue:

.........and i bloody well deserve it

And before you go off on one, due to taxes i have effectively paid my own wage every 3rd month for the past 27 years

Guest SO,DIZZY
Me too....oh and i'm on a governemnt final salary pension that your taxes have paid for DIZZ...cheers

Oh, and i'll get one from Aus too...hope you get there cos then it will be your taxes again DIZZ ...cheers again

And before you go off on one, due to taxes i have effectively paid my own wage every 3rd month for the past 27 years

well if my calculations are correct arent you living of your own taxes???

having contributed for 27 years????????

:Randy-git:

Guest wingywangwoo
Me too....oh and i'm on a governemnt final salary pension that your taxes have paid for DIZZ...cheers :tongue:

Oh, and i'll get one from Aus too...hope you get there cos then it will be your taxes again DIZZ ...cheers again :tongue:

and doesnt it make you feel good

whta relay amazes me is most of the people who are contributing to this thread are not even living in the uk.. and if you were out of the country as much as you say you wouldnt even pay council tax...so still calling bull**** on your bull****...

hey Dizzy, I get it now.... you completely miss the point of this forum, let me help you out here....

The vast majority of people here are leaving or have left the UK, because they are dissatisfied with their life there to a greater or lesser extent.

This raises the question 'why do you think any of us significantly care about those back in the UK?'... it also raises the question of 'what are you doing here anyway'.

frankly speaking as a long suffering UK taxpayer, when I leave the country I will certainly be out for every brass cent I can get, I don't feel I owe the UK anything, and fed up of paying about £20,000 per year in taxes yet get very little back for it.

So I love the advice of the OP, and will certainly analyse the information he has given and look for the best way I can exploit the system, and frankly I've only got 2 fingers for those sanctimonious individuals who want to piss and whine about it.

Guest wingywangwoo
Its no wonder the country is in the state it is in when so many UK tax payers are happy to hand out money to anyone from anywere regardless of wether they have any just claim.. OH yes.. dont you realise it will be the family you leave behind that will be picking up the tab or arnt you bothered about that.. hmmmm yes makes perfect sense....... i would like to think that most people who will have contributed to the uk pension scheme will be picking there uk pension up without having to resort to being a criminal.. just goes to show who Australia will be letting in.... food for thought..eh..

I think most people are concerned but like i said there is nothing we can do because of the human rights and pathetic government we have. When i started work i was told then that the taxes i pay now pays for the present handouts and when i get to retiring age there will be no money left anyway, but i really do think that if you go through life winding yourself up about things like this you will never stop, that is why i am passed caring about things out of my control

I have tided this thread up due to all the reported posts we have received.

Please realise we all have different opinions and if you don't like what you read, turn to another thread rather than the destroying the one you disagree with.

Cal x

Guest xshazx
Dear Dizzie,

On this subject i would like to add that my step mum, who has a uk passport, returned from australia after 10 years and found that she could not claim for anything immediately. She had to shell out for expensive accomodation and it took so long for her to recieve any help she was then not entitled to it because she started work(NI and TAX deducted)

So NO, She was NOT very well looked after by the UK state on her return with a british passport!!!!!!!!!

It does make me wonder how british people who immigrate to OZ, living in OZ for many more years than my step mum, can benifit more!!!

Guest proud2beaussie
whta relay amazes me is most of the people who are contributing to this thread are not even living in the uk.

SO DIZZY,

What you need to accept is that PIO is a forum for people with an interest in UK/AUS migration,and as such any member,where ever they are living has a right to express an opinion on any subject and I as a moderator will not censor posts from those people just because they happen to be out of step with your views.

PIO has rules and as long as posts don't breach those rules then the fact that those posts may be

disagreeable to you is something that you just have to accept,and move on.

BTW my own view on this is that if the rules will allow someone to "top up" their contributions so as to enable them to claim a higher pension ,and if you disagree with that,then that is something you need to take up with your MP,if the OP is not breaking any law then he does not deserve to be criticised by you or anyone else.

Archived