Changes to General Skilled Migration Announced

Alan Collett

thanks alan, that one worked!!

i'm not sure if i'm readng it right! my OH will be applying after july for a skiled visa. it doesnt look like it will effect us to much(????) i it just student visa's that are going to be hit? and nationals without english as their first language?

confused blonde!!:confused:

Guest Birdiesinoz
This is the official information on the Department of Immigration Website

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/changes/qa.htm

More points for 'proficient english' '20' (but looks like you will have to sit the IELTS and get a pass of 7 in all 4 arears) less for 'competent english' '15' (those who hold UK passports etc)

sorry should read 25 points for proficient english

Guest samluc

This looks like good news for us! We are short 5 points which we needed to make 120!

My question is how many points were originally given if you were fluent in english? That is how many points do you get a present (Before 1 Spet when this is supposed to kick in?)?

I guess IELTS it is for me!!! :biggrin:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

Thank you very much indeed fior helping out with this one in the ways that you have.

Jeez! Do they EVER stop fiddling with this legislation every 10 minutes? I am bored with telling people, "....the Migration Regulations 1994 (as amended) [continually]...."

This looks to me like the New Broom is the yard-broom I want for my garden! Send him here with instructions to mow it and then sweep it for me, could you? There's a luv!!

Does our New Broom have Ideas of interfering with the Family Stream as well, do you know?

Thanks

Gill :arghh:

Guest Gollywobbler

PS Alan

Going off-topic but perhaps of interest to some, the latest Legal Rumour in the UK is that Gordon Brown is harbouring notions of a new version of Development Land Tax. A clone of the old one, I would imagine...

Cheers

Gill :wink:

Guest gigagirl

Now I'm concerned. Hubby is Wiltshire born and bred. Although he is a competent plumber, he is quite severely dyslexic. Would he have to sit an IELTS test to qualify for the 20 or 25 points, as 15 would leave us 5 pts short of the magic 120?

How difficult are these exams for dyslexic people? Do they make allowances for this? If not, what do you think are our chances of getting the TRA done from start to finish in 5 months?

:sad:

Guest Ian&Lou
Now I'm concerned. Hubby is Wiltshire born and bred. Although he is a competent plumber, he is quite severely dyslexic. Would he have to sit an IELTS test to qualify for the 20 or 25 points, as 15 would leave us 5 pts short of the magic 120?

How difficult are these exams for dyslexic people? Do they make allowances for this? If not, what do you think are our chances of getting the TRA done from start to finish in 5 months?

Hi,

I've just sent you a PM.

Lou

I strongly recommend pressing the "go" button on your visa application sooner rather than later ... and engaging a competent registered migration agent if you want to reduce the risk of the TRA application not being successful.

In case of need: http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

Has the MIA been given any indication of how they propose to administer this Test in the UK? It would not be reasonable to expect people in Manchester to go tramping to London in order to sit the Test, after all.

If they try to do it via some sort of travelling Roadshow, hiring space from local Colleges or whatever, it will inevitably cause serious delays in the process of getting the much-needed skilled help out to Australia, it seems to me, and since the UK supplies the majority of the skilled migrants, this new idea looks a mite half-baked to me. The more-so since the proposed lead-in time is so short.

Is it realistically likely to go live on 1st September, do you think?

Having said that, though, I TOTALLY agree with you that it would be prudent for prospective British applicants just to get on with it and beat the proposed deadline if they can.

However, I also agree with Gigagirl's point. Plumbers are not required to be skilled written communicators in order to get the job done. Dyslexia is not normally noticeable except via writing. I don't care whether my plumber can read and write adequately as long as he can fix my plumbing properly.

Making a word-shark like an English solicitor sit this Test is equally silly, I would suggest. I've yet to meet a dyslexic solicitor. It just wouldn't happen because of the sheer amount of reading and writing needed for the exams, obviously, ditto for accountancy, theology and medicine.

Personally, I think the logic behind the idea is defective and that the MIA should compile a list of the objections to the notion, send the list to DIAC and also request input from the MOC.

Cheers

Gill

Guest nigellr

Hi Alan,

How will this effect the student visa,we are off to oz in July,wife doing 2yr course Cert 111 in Hairdressing/Dip in business.We will apply for PR in 2yrs time,under the current points system we meet 120 points,under the new system we will be 5 points short,losing 5 points for English.Is this correct,and has the 900hrs work experience changed.Any info will help.

Nigel

Gill,

We are dealing with a Minister and a Government that has literally thousands of skilled visa applications already in Adelaide - I know, because I have been to the Skilled Processing Centre in the last few weeks and have seen the bins full of visa applications.

I therefore think there is little mileage in lobbying the Department of Immigration for change.

Indeed, the changes derive from an independent study that was carried out last year, when English language competency was highlighted as a key attribute of migrants who make a successful transition into gainful and skilled employment in Australia.

In answer to your questions:

- Yes, if the Minister says the changes will come into effect on 01/09/2007 we can reasonably plan on the basis that this is what will happen ... unless a Federal election is called before then ... which I think is improbable given the present polling (the incumbent coalition is well behind in the polls).

- There is no compulsion on UK passport holders to sit an IELTS test. However, if skilled applicants want to claim 25 points for English language competency post 01/09/2007 they should expect to have to do so.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Has the MIA been given any indication of how they propose to administer this Test in the UK? It would not be reasonable to expect people in Manchester to go tramping to London in order to sit the Test, after all.

If they try to do it via some sort of travelling Roadshow, hiring space from local Colleges or whatever, it will inevitably cause serious delays in the process of getting the much-needed skilled help out to Australia, it seems to me, and since the UK supplies the majority of the skilled migrants, this new idea looks a mite half-baked to me. The more-so since the proposed lead-in time is so short.

Is it realistically likely to go live on 1st September, do you think?

Having said that, though, I TOTALLY agree with you that it would be prudent for prospective British applicants just to get on with it and beat the proposed deadline if they can.

However, I also agree with Gigagirl's point. Plumbers are not required to be skilled written communicators in order to get the job done. Dyslexia is not normally noticeable except via writing. I don't care whether my plumber can read and write adequately as long as he can fix my plumbing properly.

Making a word-shark like an English solicitor sit this Test is equally silly, I would suggest. I've yet to meet a dyslexic solicitor. It just wouldn't happen because of the sheer amount of reading and writing needed for the exams, obviously, ditto for accountancy, theology and medicine.

Personally, I think the logic behind the idea is defective and that the MIA should compile a list of the objections to the notion, send the list to DIAC and also request input from the MOC.

Cheers

Gill

I intend to write an article in the next week or two that will discuss student visa applicants who are intending to seek permanent residency under the new regime.

Please understand that even for those of us who are "close to the action" it takes time for the impact of relatively fundamental changes to be absorbed, and for strategies to become clear.

In any event I recommend you consider engaging a migration agent and paying a fee for advice as to visa strategy that is specific to your situation. It isn't sensible, nor is it prudent, to embark on an expensive visa journey without having taking advice on which you can rely.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

How will this effect the student visa,we are off to oz in July,wife doing 2yr course Cert 111 in Hairdressing/Dip in business.We will apply for PR in 2yrs time,under the current points system we meet 120 points,under the new system we will be 5 points short,losing 5 points for English.Is this correct,and has the 900hrs work experience changed.Any info will help.

Nigel

Guest Gollywobbler
I intend to write an article in the next week or two that will discuss student visa applicants who are intending to seek permanent residency under the new regime.

Please understand that even for those of us who are "close to the action" it takes time for the impact of relatively fundamental changes to be absorbed, and for strategies to become clear.

In any event I recommend you consider engaging a migration agent and paying a fee for advice as to visa strategy that is specific to your situation. It isn't sensible, nor is it prudent, to embark on an expensive visa journey without having taking advice on which you can rely.

Best regards.

Hi Nigel and Alan

I cannot claim to have followed this topic in any depth myself. I am not a migration agent and my own only ireason for continuing involvement with the forums is because I like the people I meet via them. (Including Muppet!) Visa-wise, my own family now has that which we set out to obtain.

Alan, your sticky thread on British Expats is making very good and relevant reading for anybody who might be affected by the proposed changes. Last time I made a thread started by you sticky on here, Tim overruled me. There is nowt I can do about that, plainly.

To judge from the BE thread, it appears that there are several elements to the IELTS. I have no way of knowing how useful or otherwise that might be.

Instinctively, though, I get the feeling that the new Minister is trying to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut and that his "logic" is actually a syllogism. (As in "All cats die. Socrates is dead. Therefore Socrates was a cat.")

The only real problem seems to me to be that both the 457 visa and the Student Visa are allegedly being scammed by unscrupulous Australian operators of both. If I am right I would not be looking overseas to find the solution. I would be clobbering the alleged culprits at home instead.

For this reason, I stick to my guns. I think the MIA should take this up instead of simply accepting it passively.... You (MIA Members) are in a much better position than anyone else to inject a bit of common-sense into this, I suggest.

Nobody will ever persuade me that turning Immi into a Lottery is a Good Idea either. The Balance of Family test was a disgrace until Peter Bollard sorted it out in 2003. Before that, it was the Law of a Banana Republic and the only person who has amused me about that is the RMA Anthony Kidd. He said, "We were a Banana Republic until the banana crop failed...."!!!

Cheers

Gill

Hubby will still get 15 points for English if he applies under new regime - a drop of 5 points -so will probably still get 120 unless:

1)he is ged 40 to 44 and the investment option disapperar

Hubby will still get 15 points for English if he applies under new regime - a drop of 5 points -so will probably still get 120 unless:

1)he is ged 40 to 44 and the investment option disapperar

wrong button there - where was I ?

unless:

1 - he is aged 40 - 44 and the investment option disappears

2 - Plumbers come off MODL

3 - The pass-mark increases

Moral of the story - apply asap. Get professional TRA advice to make sure it gets done properly the first time - I recommend Glenn Newton, ex-director of TRA, as the main man for TRA advice.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

Hi Alan,

Nigel

I'll have a bash at this one now as it is the students and potential students that will have the highest stress levels at this time of uncertainty. I can only go on what information has already been released so my reading of the situation may be incorrect if further info is released.

1 - Students who study for a minimum of 2 years in Australia and obtain Trade Cert/Diploma or higher, will still get an exemption from the recent work experience requirement which will be changed to 12 months in the previous 24 months for all Skilled visas regardless of whether it is a 40, 50 or 60 point occupation.

2 - where scores have been calculated under the old (current) system, these will now have to be re-calculated. There will be a loss or gain of 5 points under the English Language Category but for many, there will be the loss of 15 points for MODL as MODL points will only be given where you have worked for 12 months in the previous 48 months, in the Nominated MODL occupation, or closely related (MODL or Non-MODL) occupation. I believe you will not be able to use any of the 900 hours required as part of the TRA assessment.

So many people on this pathway, or considering it, will lose 10 or 20 points and will then probably have to apply for the new Skilled Graduate Visa (485) for a stay of up to 18 months. It has no work or study restrictions so you can do what you want on it - tour Australia if you wish. It's main purpose is for those graduates who do not qualify for a skileld visa, to improve their English and/or get the required 12 months recent skilled work experience.

e.g.

41 year goes to Australia to study AQF Cert III in Hairdressing plus Diploma - 2 years of study. Was counting on a score of Age = 15, English = 20, TRA = 60, Australian Qual = 5, MODL = 15, investment = 05 - Total 120. Was always a danger that Hairdressers came of MODL and would then look at possible STNI or SIR for South Australia.

Under the new system, no points for MODL and extra 5 for English if high score in IELTS test - maybe no investment points any more - so could be 15 points short (up to 25 points short if all goes against).

After 12 months experience as a hairdresser - she gains 10 points for Australian experience and, if Hairdressers are still on MODL, gains the 15 back for MODL plus another 5 points for probably having a job offer on MODL.

So it is not all doom and gloom - OK, an extra year or so to run the gauntlet of an adverse MODL change but at least there should be no more unexpected changes in the near future.

I know some people are cutting it fine with the 2 years of study and their 45th birthday so I have enquired with DIAC to see if holders of the 485 visa get exemption from needing to be 45 when they apply for their skillled application. I would expect this to be the case as it is, in my view, a provisional visa i.e. one that is designed to lead to a permanent visa.

As I said, this is just the way I see things from what has been released - things will become clearer as September approaches but the students and prospective students need to know how they are affected asap - so, even my take is wide of the mark, I think it will at least bring the truth to you quicker.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

I'll have a bash at this one now as it is the students and potential students that will have the highest stress levels at this time of uncertainty. I can only go on what information has already been released so my reading of the situation may be incorrect if further info is released.

1 - Students who study for a minimum of 2 years in Australia and obtain Trade Cert/Diploma or higher, will still get an exemption from the recent work experience requirement which will be changed to 12 months in the previous 24 months for all Skilled visas regardless of whether it is a 40, 50 or 60 point occupation.

2 - where scores have been calculated under the old (current) system, these will now have to be re-calculated. There will be a loss or gain of 5 points under the English Language Category but for many, there will be the loss of 15 points for MODL as MODL points will only be given where you have worked for 12 months in the previous 48 months, in the Nominated MODL occupation, or closely related (MODL or Non-MODL) occupation. I believe you will not be able to use any of the 900 hours required as part of the TRA assessment.

So many people on this pathway, or considering it, will lose 10 or 20 points and will then probably have to apply for the new Skilled Graduate Visa (485) for a stay of up to 18 months. It has no work or study restrictions so you can do what you want on it - tour Australia if you wish. It's main purpose is for those graduates who do not qualify for a skileld visa, to improve their English and/or get the required 12 months recent skilled work experience.

e.g.

41 year goes to Australia to study AQF Cert III in Hairdressing plus Diploma - 2 years of study. Was counting on a score of Age = 15, English = 20, TRA = 60, Australian Qual = 5, MODL = 15, investment = 05 - Total 120. Was always a danger that Hairdressers came of MODL and would then look at possible STNI or SIR for South Australia.

Under the new system, no points for MODL and extra 5 for English if high score in IELTS test - maybe no investment points any more - so could be 15 points short (up to 25 points short if all goes against).

After 12 months experience as a hairdresser - she gains 10 points for Australian experience and, if Hairdressers are still on MODL, gains the 15 back for MODL plus another 5 points for probably having a job offer on MODL.

So it is not all doom and gloom - OK, an extra year or so to run the gauntlet of an adverse MODL change but at least there should be no more unexpected changes in the near future.

I know some people are cutting it fine with the 2 years of study and their 45th birthday so I have enquired with DIAC to see if holders of the 485 visa get exemption from needing to be 45 when they apply for their skillled application. I would expect this to be the case as it is, in my view, a provisional visa i.e. one that is designed to lead to a permanent visa.

As I said, this is just the way I see things from what has been released - things will become clearer as September approaches but the students and prospective students need to know how they are affected asap - so, even my take is wide of the mark, I think it will at least bring the truth to you quicker.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

I have just received confirmation that those graduates who turn 45 while on the new Skilled Graduate visa 485, will be able to apply for the new Independent skilled Visa 885, and other GSM Visas, eventhough they may then have turned 45 - the catch being that they will then score zero for age under the GSM points test - so big swings and big roundabouts.

I have not seen the actual new regulations so treat this as general information - something that may happen but not definite yet - it may help with long-term planning.

Regards

Tony Coates

Archived