Shipping your pets

jonnosuzie

Who did you use to ship your beloved pet?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you use to ship your beloved pet?

• Air Pets
    • Pet Air UK
    • Golden Arrow
    • Jets Set Pets
    • Jets4Pets
    • White House Kennels
    • Animal Couriers
    • Overhill
    • Lady Haye
    • Other

Guest Fulwood
Best of luck with your journey! You are on a massive adventure and part of it will have been jumping through all the hoops to get out here!

Many thanks - We have only 8 weekends left and it is starting to feel like it!

Jonnosuzie - I note from your file that PBS was the cheapest. They have also worked out the cheapest for me, did you use the and if so how were they?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Furball

Our 2 kitties are flying out in August - same day as us - and we're using PetAir... it's £1,900ish for the flights etc etc etc on their Gold service from Heathrow to Sydney, then about $900 all in for the quarantine and checks at the other end... then they are being flown up to the sunshine coast airport... So about £3000 in total for *everything* for 2 of them.

Hope that helps,

Fx

Guest homeiswheretheheartis

Jetpets - Sydney to Brisbane in same crate - $264.57 with Jet Pets

Airpets - Around £1600 for both cats in 2007 to get to Sydney

Quarantine - around $1000

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just thought I would send a quick update.

Maisy had her final tests last week and they came back. She had to have these done twice as her lepto test was high (she had a booster 4 months prior).

She will go for her tick and flea drops on saturday and then she will fly on monday. All in the vets cost £208 for all of her testing including the repeat test, this was done at our local vets.

We have opted to take Maisy to Heathrow, its about an hour away so on Monday we will set off and taker to the airport! Crikey - its all happening a bit quick. Poor Maisy will hate ben in quarantine for a month!

I will let you know the rest of the adventures!

Guest Fulwood

Good luck - Owing to an injury Chance won't be flying when we do. We are having her fostered for a few weeks to get fit, and she will then fly on. I'm asking a lot of the fosterers as they are going to have to look after the pre-departure bit.

It also means that when she arrives I can look her in the eye and say "What did those nasty people in the UK put you through. Don't worry, you're safe now!"

• 1 month later...
Guest 1010ozzy

Hi

we have used Overhill near Bristol as we come from Taunton in Somerset, they told us everything we needed to do and when and we went to our own vets and had it done and all results sent to them.

We have a Westie so only a small dog,

Overhill costs inc crate, vet inspection, 2nd flea, tick and worming treatment, transportation to Heathrow and flight cost to Sidney £1400.00

Quarentine fees inc 45min!! vet inspection, 30 nights board and keep, collection from Sidney Airport A$831.00.

Dogtainers to collect dog from quarentine on day of release and fly him from Sidney to Townsville (via Brisbane) A$270.00.

At this moment in time Ozzy is day 21 in Quarentine, (not that I am counting!!) so as far as Overhill are concerned everything went to plan and they were brilliant would recomend to anyone in the Bristol and surrounding area's to use them, I rang with any quiries I had and Rachel was fantastic at answering them and putting my mind at rest, they also had Ozzy for 3 days before he flew to have his create in the run for him to get used to, this was all in with the cost.

Will let you know how we go with Dogtainers after the 4th of September.

Hope this helps

Dawn and Nigel:jiggy:

Guest The Pom Queen
Does anyone have any experience shipping small pets (smaller than cat or dog)? Like birds, rabbits, rats etc

Unfortunately Austrailian Quarantine does not permit importing of some small animals especially birds are a no no. Remember in some states pets like rabbits and hamsters are illegal to own.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1010ozzy

Hi

Just to let you know Ozzy was saftley delivered from Eastern Creek by Dogtainers today, no drama's at all, they rang us this morning to let us know what time flight he was on, as there was a possibility of 2 depending on how bad the traffic was getting from Eastern Creek to the Airport, they managed to get him on the early one.

We arrived at the airport went to the frieght office said we had come to collect our dog on flight number ***** and they went and got him and I just had to show some photo ID and sign for him.

Now he is home and sat on the sofa like nothing has happened.

Hope this helps, any questions PM me

Dawn :laugh:

Guest Fulwood
Hi

Just to let you know Ozzy was saftley delivered from Eastern Creek by Dogtainers today, no drama's at all, they rang us this morning to let us know what time flight he was on, as there was a possibility of 2 depending on how bad the traffic was getting from Eastern Creek to the Airport, they managed to get him on the early one.

We arrived at the airport went to the frieght office said we had come to collect our dog on flight number ***** and they went and got him and I just had to show some photo ID and sign for him.

Now he is home and sat on the sofa like nothing has happened.

Hope this helps, any questions PM me

Dawn :laugh:

Hi Ozzy - glad you dog is home safe and well. Mine sets off in a couple of weeks and we are slightly nervous about the whole trip!

We used Golden Arrows who were absolutley brilliant, we brought our German Shepherd Ellie over although she was eight and suffering with arthritis. It was the best thing we did. Unfortunatley she died two weeks ago, but she had a fantastic 18 months in the sunshine here with us and was like a different dog.

Christine

We used Golden Arrows who were absolutley brilliant, we brought our German Shepherd Ellie over although she was eight and suffering with arthritis. It was the best thing we did. Unfortunatley she died two weeks ago, but she had a fantastic 18 months in the sunshine here with us and was like a different dog.

Christine

So very sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved Ellie...

It was lovely that you had another 18months with her in your new home & she enjoyed herself

We are hoping to bring our two dogs, aged 10 & 8 years....So its always lovely to hear of nice stories like yours & Ellies, where she was happier in her new country

Best wishes to you....:cute:

P.S We are also thinking of using 'Golden Arrow' have heard many good things about them

we used golden arrow to, really good , byford in perth fab as well.. its natural to worry , but the dogs are fine , ours was no different back on the sofa here same position !

ellie 2, im so sorry to hear about your dog , but glad you each had the time , and was better for it ..

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

has anyone not used an agent to transfer their pet?. I can see there are airlines that don't stipulate an agent, is this an option?

In anticipation

James

I used an agent and they were great. Althogh we are now all expert form fillers (thank you DIAC!) there is quite a lot of burocracy involved and I wouldn't like a dog to get on a plane (or miss a flight because of) incorrect paperwork.

My shippers did negotiate slightly on price and that included them doing all of the form filling on my behalf.

Guest martynrussell

Let me know how you get on we are bringing out 3 cats in feb. Questions 1 How did they cope with the journey 2 We will need to rent at first how much of a problem is having cats?

Guest martynrussell

Thanks. How did they cope with the flight and quarantine. we need to rent does having cats create a problem. we are looking at inner Sydney

Guest pauli77

We have just received 2 quotes to take our large lab to Melbourne, both quotes were in the region of £2700, not including $1300 quarantine fee and vets fee, and we don't live anywhere near Heathrow so we would need to add another £260 to fly him from Manchester or Newcastle. We now have a devastating choice to make, as we don't have that kind of money and will either have to leave him (with wonderful friends) or stay here!! Good luck everyone x:sad:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest martynrussell

So who did you go with in the end and what did you pay. We have 3 cats to go to Sidney. Let me kow how they cope witht he flight and quarantine

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tester23
Thanks. How did they cope with the flight and quarantine. we need to rent does having cats create a problem. we are looking at inner Sydney

Some landlords will allow pets, while others wont. Its best to ask at the time of applying so you dont get caught out.

Guest Furball

Well, it's 3 weeks since the kitties got home from quarantine we've finally got over everything and all the stress (I hope... please God!!!)

1) PetAir were fantastic at first, right up until the point the incredibly arrogant and supercilious nurse and vet visited us at home the day before. They manhandled the cats (who are generally held by all vets they've seen to be among the nicest and friendliest they've ever met) as if they were raging rabbids.... and thoroughly upset both us and them. They were incredibly offhand with our questions and concerns, to such an extent that I was nearly in tears by the time they left, and was completely in tears by the time we had to sya goodbye to them at the airport - although the man there was *lovely*. I have to say though that the 2 who visited were completely opposite to everyone else we dealt with through them, it's just a shame it was them who upset us so as it's such a horrid time at the best!

Anyway... kitties arrived at Eastern Creek, where they were given YET MORE flea stuff - apparently it wasn't completely clear that the manhandling the days before included frontline... (great... stuff that goes through the skin, and stays in the system long enough to kill seriously hardy bugs applied 2x in 3 days... got to be great for the cats *not*) Anyway... they went into cattery 13 and had a nice lady called Tracy who cuddled them lots and we talked to her every week... and who wanted to adopt them... we had another bunch ship them up to us from Sydney to Brisbane and we collected them there... poor spaced out fuzzies.

Still, they recovered quickly from the flight and were SO happy to see us. I don't think they stopped purring and kneading for a week! They aren't very keen on the Aussie catfood though. The wet food over here isn't a patch on at home as far as they are concerned... so tuna and steak is on the menu a lot at present...

The quarantine charges were something of a shock, as we hadn't looked since we booked back at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately the prices at Eastern Creek went up by over 200% in the intervening period and so as no-one saw fit to let us know... the bill came as a serious unhappy shock! The bill for one cat was more than the bill had been calculated to be for both...!!

Anyway, we have them here, safe, sound and happy now :) (... now that the cat flu that one of them caught right at the end of Quarantine is over.... you think I'm joking... think again!)

Guest bindog1uk

Good one! Lots of good info for when we eventually get to go [maybe 2012] Have two long haired German Shepards to send to Sydney and the will be watching this space to help us on our way. Many thanks Lesley.

Archived