Perm res to citizenship process

rockola57

HIYA,We moved to SA 8 MONTHS AGO ON 457 VISA,JUST GOT OUR PERM RES(ME,WIFE 2 SONS 17 AND 18)We came to OZ for a better future for them,but they just want to go back to their mates and way of life in the UK.We still have our house back in the UK,RENTING IT OUT,and are renting here.Anyway now my wife wants to go back as the boys are unhappy and so is she.So i was wondering what the process is,and how long to wait for citizenship?As i suspect strongly that we may all come back here in the future,if things carry on as they were in the UK before we left.Also what are the rules and stipulations with perm res long term,beyond 5 years,if you are out of Australia?Time limits etc?

HIYA,We moved to SA 8 MONTHS AGO ON 457 VISA,JUST GOT OUR PERM RES(ME,WIFE 2 SONS 17 AND 18)We came to OZ for a better future for them,but they just want to go back to their mates and way of life in the UK.We still have our house back in the UK,RENTING IT OUT,and are renting here.Anyway now my wife wants to go back as the boys are unhappy and so is she.So i was wondering what the process is,and how long to wait for citizenship?As i suspect strongly that we may all come back here in the future,if things carry on as they were in the UK before we left.Also what are the rules and stipulations with perm res long term,beyond 5 years,if you are out of Australia?Time limits etc?

Hi Mate,

Firstly, I totally sympathise with your predicament. When I came here my son was 18 and my daughter 16. My son didn’t even end up coming and now my daughter would never leave Australia. My wife and I have been backwards and forwards now for the last 6 years.

With regards to your citizenship, if you were granted PR after July 07 then you have to have been legally resident in Australia for 4 years before you can apply and a permanent resident for a least one year. I think that your time spent here on a 457 counts towards the total time.

Also you have to have been in the country commutatively for 3 out of the 4 years and for at least 9 months in the 12 months before you apply.

Go to www.citizenship.gov.au/ this will tell you everything.

Good luck, remember your not the only one going through this:unsure:

Hi Mate,

Firstly, I totally sympathise with your predicament. When I came here my son was 18 and my daughter 16. My son didn’t even end up coming and now my daughter would never leave Australia. My wife and I have been backwards and forwards now for the last 6 years.

With regards to your citizenship, if you were granted PR after July 07 then you have to have been legally resident in Australia for 4 years before you can apply and a permanent resident for a least one year. I think that your time spent here on a 457 counts towards the total time.

Also you have to have been in the country commutatively for 3 out of the 4 years and for at least 9 months in the 12 months before you apply.

Go to www.citizenship.gov.au/ this willtell you everything.

Good luck, remember your not the only one going through this:unsure:

Forgot to add, your PR visa is valid for 5 years. It's actualy a "Resident's Return" visa. Although it is valid for 5 years, you have to have been in the country for 2 years out of the previous 5 before you can apply for another one. Best that you take professional advice!

Archived