Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'perm'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 50 results

  1. Its very early days for us, we have only been here three weeks of our three month reccie trip but Hubs and I have already been talking about the possibility of making the move a little more perm. His employer also wants to talk to him in the next couple of weeks re the possibility of migrating so you would think that we would be really pleased. However whilst we were chating about this possibility, Hubs told me that he would consider moving for a max of two years but that he would never see Australia as home and would want to return to the UK. So now im in two minds, do we make the move and just enjoy the two years here, hope that we both fall in love with the place and that we both end up wanting to stay. Or do we put a stop to things now and return to the UK and consider other options i.e. maybe moving somewhere different within the UK as we have already desided that we do want a change. I think the big stumbling block for my husband is that he is very close to his parents but they would NEVER fly to Oz to see us. I know some of you may say that they would once we are out here but this is a def no - they wont fly. Obviously i would miss them too, they are like parents to me but i also want to make the most of my life and trying this different way of life / experience i think would be a great thing. What would you do? Emma x
  2. Hi Please can some-one help I have a property in the UK I have been granted perm residents in OZ and will depart in January 2012 I am going to rent the flat in the UK I have filled out the UK non residents tax form so will get rent with no deductions I understand I need to complete a tax form at the end of the year as the UK will have first call on my rental income minus my personal allowance Since OZ collects on worldwide income I will get a tax credit from the UK and pay any extra tax owed in OZ So far so good I have a list of allowable expenses for UK rental income (10% depreciation for wear and tear, repairs, professional services and mortgage interest payments etc - on another matter I do not have a mortgage as I own the home outright and would be interested to know how I should make best use of the tax breaks e.g remortage or not etc) What I do not understand do I use the UK model for allowable expenses or do I need to use the OZ model. So I am getting around £13,000 a year in rental income before any expenses and before tax Do I use HMRC rules for allowable expenses on my UK rental income or the OZ tax rules I would be so grateful for help on this matter Also would welcome any professionals to approach me if they can offer a service to help me through this
  3. Hi forum, been a while since I have looked on here. brisbane is treating us well, and been 3 months so far! my question is posted toward anyone with the experience really, but maybe a migration agent can answer on here? We came on 457, I am a nurse who is 4 years qualified. My contract runs for 2 years and we wish to go for PR ENS. Immigration site states that if you have 3 years experience and you have your skills assessed then you can apply for PR. However, there seems to be a general feeling that you have to be working in Oz for 2 years before applying for PR. This would mean getting another 457 with my employer and then applying for PR immediately. The immigration does state if you can do 'one of the following'....and that is A. 2 years work on 457 and at least 12 months with one employer B. Hold a qualfiying visa (e.g. 457) C. Have held your profession for 3 years and had skills assessed. Any feedback people? My company welcome suggestions for PR ENS after 6 months, so if we can get the ball rolling then it would be great....... Missed this forum BTW, good to be touching base (even if it is for advice again!) Been spending too much time eating SAUSAGES
  4. Hi all Just wanted to know if anyone would know if I was granted a perm resident after being on a temp spouce visa am I still entitled to live in australia with my aussie daughter if my husband and I split up??
  5. YIPPEEEEEEEEE I got a letter in the post today granting me my second stage partner permant residence (801) Eligable date was 3rd sept. I got a letter from them at the end of June asking for a stat dec from my partner & I, a police clearance for me & a completed form 80. I sent it all in a couple of days later to Melbourne and received an acknowlagement card about 10 days later. Then heard NOTHING......until today granting me perm res. Thought I'd post this so those still waiting get can an idea of current timelines. Zoe
  6. Hello everyone, I hope I can get some help and clear up lots of conflicting information! And I'll probably bore you all to death with my story but here goes..... I met my OH (Aussie) July 2010 in the UK, our relationship became official in August 2011, he flew back to Oz October 2010 and he asked me to join him there in Dec 2010 (so we spent 2 months apart but in contact etc). As we had only just started the relationship I decided to go on a WHV for 12 months to see if I liked Oz etc and to also do some travelling (so far we have travelled most of NSW and a little bit of QLD) We live together and have done so since I arrived in Australia - BUT at his parents house, we pay weekly board, cook, clean etc and we have a joint bank acct and our own bank accts and have our bills addressed to where we live. We both work (both casual jobs) We have also registered our relationship recently with the NSW births, deaths, marraiges & we are both next of kin on our super funds (So i think we can provide some good evidence!!) Now my questions are: Would me having a WHV cause a problem in applying for the partner visa? I don't feel I've broken my visa terms because I have done some travelling and I am working (my partner is a rugby league player so he gets offers of contract from all over the world so we weren't sure we'd be staying in Aus anyway) I am worried they will think I have come out here with the intention of staying, but we have only decided to stay recently because my OH has been offered another rugby league contract here Second when do I put my application in because an agent from the Immi Info Line told me to submit my application via post, not person, a few weeks before my WHV runs out, someone else at the Immi Info Line has told me to go into my nearest office on the day my WHV runs out and apply then... so confused!! Thirdly do I have to apply for a bridging visa at the same time I put my application in, if so do I fill out a form? Costs involved? Or do I leave it and Immi sort one out automatically? Or do I do nothing at all? And finally do I need to get an Australian police check or just the UK one, I will have lived in Aus on my WHV for 12 months in December 2011 so I was unsure if I still need to get one. I am planning on front loading my application too as we have saved up for the medical costs and the visa costs already Just also on another note, me and my OH are planning on a 4-6 week trip back to the UK to visit my family in October 2011 (I won't be able to afford to visit them next year and have my sisters wedding in the UK in 2013 to save up for) and to also visit a few European countries whilst we have the chance. Will this affect the 12 month living arrangement requirement and cause any upsets with my application? Sorry for the essay and all the questions, I am just so confused and worried that I am going about it all the wrong way. I want to make sure I've done everything correctly!! Thanks everyone, any advice will help me massively!!! :chatterbox::confused:
  7. Hey there I have been offered a job in Canberra on a 119 permanent residency visa. I have no idea regarding areas to live and schools for my children, I have a baby and then a 5 year old (just finished first year in school here in Ireland), 8 year old and a 10 year old. Preferably state schools as I can;t afford fees for 3! Any help would be greatly appreciated, they have suggested I could be there as quick as 3 months, is this possible? Thanks in advance S x
  8. We have positions in both Victoria and Queensland for Spray Painters and Panel Beaters. Sponsorship on 457 visa is available with the offer of Permanent Residency This is a large national company who provide great working environment in their modern crash repair centres. If you are a Panel Beater, Spray Painter or vehicle Assembler please contact us for more information. Regards Tony
  9. Guest

    Perm Resident rights

    Hi, Hope someone can shed some light for me....to be honest I am trying to find a way to get back to the UK ASAP. We have been here over 2 years and at the mo the thought of another 2/3 years to get passports fills me with dread! Whereas that is my partners ultimate goal!! as a Permanent resident of Australia can I come and go as I please as long as I keep renewing the visa. (Does anyone have an idea how much this costs?) Or would I have to do my time and become a cit before I could do this. Alsoif I have 2 children who both have aus passports and later in life we wanted to move back over here is it likely that they could sponser us? as this is the only reason I can see myself wanting to live over here again. Any help gratefully received Thanks L
  10. Guest

    perm residence and disability

    hi everyone. some advice please. My partner and I arrived in oz two years ago on a 457 visa (employer sponsored) working for a government department. we made the decision to stay and apply for permanent residence. My partner became pregnant before we started the process but just before the birth my employer submitted the employer nomination so that we could get it started following birth. We understood Kate could not complete the medical until after the birth so we held off. Our two beautiful boys were born a fortnight ago but one was born with downs syndrome, which was unexpected. We are now becoming aware that we may be rejected for our perm residence because of this. It seems the lad has only been on the planet for a week and already he's been discriminated against. All seems a bit 1970's to me. Has anyone any experience of this or advice.
  11. Hiya Does anyone know how long it takes when you are on a temp spouse 309 to get the perm visa, i understand i can apply 2 years after my application was first lodged (so june applied, granted oct) so techincally i can apply in june 2012 for perm, how long does it then take for them to grant perm ? Was wondering if it takes a further 6 months to be granted perm so looking at 2.5 years then im permy ? Then once perm you go on for 2 years then become a citizen etc Lots of questions, sorry :biggrin:
  12. pez2008

    Temp visa to perm visa

    Hi all. We arrived in Victoria in October 2009 on the 475 temp visa, we have lived and worked as stated by the terms of our visa and assumed come October we would apply for permanent residency (not sure of visa number). We have met some other poms here who are on the same visa and they reckon they get forms to fill out in every 3 months or so asking about there employment details etc, we have been here 17 months and have heard nothing from DIAC or any one else. Should we be getting forms? Also when you apply for next visa is there another medical? Many thanks Pez.
  13. Guest

    perm residency soon I hope

    Well after meeting all the requirements for the 165 provisonal and living here for more than 3 years, I am sending of our application for the 893 residency visa this morning. I cannot wait until we are actually permanent residents. No idea how long it takes but I hope its not long. Christine
  14. Hi all i havent been on here for a whil. hello : ) i am British and my husband is ozzie, i flew to oz on a prospective marriage visa, married my husband within the 9 months then applied for the 2 year temp spouse visa, which i am now currently on which runs out june 2012. I was wondering how the next stage works with going from temp spouse visa to perm? do the melbourne office get incontact with you? i understand youhave to fill out the forms again.and what sort of evidence you need or if any? the same as before? medical? any advice be much appreciated : ) Thankyou Nadine
  15. Andy & Kelly

    457- Perm Res Dilemma

    Hi, My 457 runs out in Feb 2011. At this point i will be applying for 856 ENS. It states that you should have a minimum of two years working in Australia with at least one year with your current employer. Now i have this.....nearly! The thing is my visa was granted on a Friday, then there was a long weekend so i didn't start work until the following Tuesday. So basically i'm short by a couple days actual work at the point of applying for new visa. Will this matter? Are DIAC going to notice? If so will be visa be denied? Any help much appreciated. Andy
  16. Im not qualifying to apply for skilled migration as my vocation is not specified on the SOL list. Ive been advised that I would be eligable to be sponsored on a 457 for 2 ears and that I can then apply for residency without a skills assement. Im just trying to clarify whether a referal is made even after 2 years on a 457 to the SOL list (ie. would my vocation have to be on the shortlist in 2 years to be able to apply for permanent residency? thanks Liam
  17. Hi Please can anyone advise us, that if we are lucky enough to get a job offer that meets all the criteria for both a temporary 457 visa but also for a permanent 121, can we use the same job offer to support both visas? The reason we ask is that we ideally want the 121, but at the moment it seems like they are taking at least 4-5 months to progress, and it is likely that if we get offered a job the employer will want us their sooner. So can we go through on a temporary 457 to start with, then, when the 121 is ready, leave the country, get it stamped then come back in, continue work on the permanent? We are currently progressing on a 175 but that is going to take forever, and looks like we can do a free transfer to a 121 with only the employer charges to be paid rather than application fee as well. So, ideal plan would be, stick with 175 for now, if job offer received, switch 175 to 121, and put new 457 in. use 457 until 121 granted. Please can anyone confirm if same job could be used or if it would need to be a new job offer for the second visa? thanks Susie and Rich
  18. outlawtorn

    Working holiday to perm

    Hi all, I have been looking into moving to perth for some time now. I cant seem to find anyinfo or even if its possible to come over to australia on a working holiday visa find work and then apply for a perminent visa. Can anyone shed any light or advise on doing this. I am a qualified electrician in the uk however have mainly worked in wiring controll panels/switchgear. Hoping to get something similar in oz but will take anything. Is it likely if i fly over on this visa that i would end up being able to stay. Thanx Dan.
  19. Hi, im trying to clarify what the course of action would be on expiration of a 457/two year work visa in relation to securing permanent residency.. Ie. I am querying whether it would be better/easier/cost effective to apply for full Permanent residency now or to take up a 457 visa for 2 years and to then apply for permanent residency; i.e. are the full permanent residency fees the same/the same course of action (medical/skills assessment) necessary if I have been resident in Australia on a 457 for 2 years.... Any help greatly appreciated. Liam
  20. Guest

    Age limit for perm residency?

    Hi, we are waiting for a 457e to be approved. today I read on here that to apply for permanent residency you must be under 45 is that correct? if so any exceptions? I am 47, hoping to be moving to OZ by November - plan to apply for PR -ASAP.
  21. hi all just been granted my temp 820 spouse visa here in perth, was wondering what happens after the 2 years when the next bit for perm ressident occurs. the lady at immi office said it isn't as stressful and something about melbourne office send u forms to complete and send back and they make a edcision based on that. does anyone no what sort of questions information they ask u to complete?provide? thanks
  22. noel2538

    Perm Visa Question

    Hi Allbodies:wubclub: My family and I emigrated to Oz in May 2009, we all activated our PM Visa in February 2008, including my eldest daugther but she didnt emigrate with us in May, stayed in UK, Boyfriend, Job and friends. My eldest daughter is coming to visit us in June, only 3 weeks time, with my mum. I let my mum know that she had to get a Visa to visit, she went on line and got her Visa but she also tried to applied for my daughter (I didnt say she was to do this)!!! Obviously it came up error, so my mum got my daughter to call Australia House, I think, in UK. They told my daughter, she didnt need vistor visa as she has Permenant Visa but...this is whats worrying me, my daugher was told that because my mum tried to apply for a visa it may cause problems with her Permenant Visa...is this true? When we all came over to activate our Visa, the Immo guy at the airport said that she can visit Oz and back whenever she wants but she must be in Oz before Visa expires in July 2013. I dont want her arriving at Melbourne Airport and not being allowed in!!! Hope someone can help me out...very worried:err: Debbie x
  23. I am an Australian permanent resident (856) who returned to UK on receiving visa. I then got married to an English girl, and had two children. I had to return before my five year visa expired and am trying to get my family on my visa so they can join me. Unfortunately, immigration here in Sydney and back in London seem unable to give me any straight advice. I was initially told if they applied in London, it would either move quickly or they would receive a bridging visa- I am now being told that no bridging visas are available outside Aus ? I also cannot find out whether they should apply for medicals and security checks, and which subclass to apply for- PLEASE HELP !!!
  24. Hi folks, new to site today. I am serving police officer in england and want to move to victoria and join Oz police.Looking at their website I will need permanent residency visa before i can apply.How can I do this ?Time is of the essence, have looked at loads of sites but for some reason can't get a grip!Police officers dont appear to be listed on any occupation,can anyone please assist me....fingers crossed...
  25. Good Evening/Morning. I've been a reader of Poms in oz for sometime and must say it's a very valuable source of opinions. Keep up the good work people. I've got a really quick question, and i don't expect their to be a black and white answers but any opinions are appreciated. I've been on a 457 visa in Oz 21 months and can apply for PR after i've been here for 2 years, so only 3 months to go. I've never been in trouble with the law and had a clean record my whole life until yesterday. I got in a scuffle (after to much drink which is totally out of character for me) and was charged with being Drunk or Disordely.:chatterbox: I was told at the police station:policeman: that it's a minor offence and won't affect my PR application, but after reading a few posts i've got a little nervous. My understanding is that i need to pass the character test which covers this, this will show up the D&D on the police record. A person will fail the character test where: they have a substantial criminal record they have, or have had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct having regard to the person's past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia, harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia, vilify a segment of the Australian community, or incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community, or represent a danger to the Australian community or a segment of that community. See: Fact Sheet 78 - Controversial Visa Applicants I'm hoping with only a minor charge and normally of good character (hopefully supported by recently joining the SES and being a volunteer feeding the homeless) i'm hoping i shouldn't have any serious problems (i guess it's down to the case handler) has anyone experienced anything similiar or know anything else regarding this? thanks for your time in advance.:confused: