Where did it all go wrong?!?

Guest Carrie

Guest Carrie

Gosh

Never thought I'd be writing my own thread - times must be bad ha ha!! I've found PIO a real comfort and it's interesting to hear so many sides of so many different stories.

I hate to see others in turmoil, but at the same time, I get real comfort from knowing that I am not alone and that others are having the same thoughts/doubts as me!

My story/life here feels rather like one of those nightmares where you can't get out of the village and everyone is in on it, even the police - you know the one.

Is there anyone else out there who's just exhausted with fighting the sytem and just wants to go home?

I've just had enough now, got no more energy left.

Sorry for sounding so deflated.............

hi carrie , welcome to pio , sorry to hear your really not having a good time of it .. where are you in oz, there are lots of people on here that have made the move , and its not worked out for them , but hey at least you gave it a shot! thats what lifes for haveing a go , writing a chapter , having an adventure , all the best with the next for you ! ps its good to have a good get it off your chest as well, x

Guest bonefish13

Hi Carrie.

Very sorry to hear of your plight. There is no where worse to be than the position you presently find yourself in. It is a feeling of absolute and abject sadness.

If you want to give me a little background information I may be able to help a little. There IS an answer to your problems, but at times this cannot be seen because of the emotions you presently have.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need a shoulder to cry on.

Take care

Tony

Guest tlander56
Gosh

Never thought I'd be writing my own thread - times must be bad ha ha!! I've found PIO a real comfort and it's interesting to hear so many sides of so many different stories.

I hate to see others in turmoil, but at the same time, I get real comfort from knowing that I am not alone and that others are having the same thoughts/doubts as me!

My story/life here feels rather like one of those nightmares where you can't get out of the village and everyone is in on it, even the police - you know the one.

Is there anyone else out there who's just exhausted with fighting the sytem and just wants to go home?

I've just had enough now, got no more energy left.

Sorry for sounding so deflated.............

Hi Carrie,

Whereabouts in Australia are you?

Guest guest22466

Yes Carrie I have had those days and still do at times . Hope things get better for you every day.

Guest Carrie

Hi everyone

We're in Tasmania. We've also lived in Adelaide, Mount Gambier SA, Inland QLD and the Sunshine Coast, QLD. We've been here 4.5 years and it's been one horror story after another, wouldn't know where to start ha ha!!! We're planning our escape, but have to wait to get our dog sorted out. Any advice on taking a dog back to the Uk would be most welcome. Thanks for the replies, really cheered me up.

Caroline

Hi everyone

We're in Tasmania. We've also lived in Adelaide, Mount Gambier SA, Inland QLD and the Sunshine Coast, QLD. We've been here 4.5 years and it's been one horror story after another, wouldn't know where to start ha ha!!! We're planning our escape, but have to wait to get our dog sorted out. Any advice on taking a dog back to the Uk would be most welcome. Thanks for the replies, really cheered me up.

Caroline

Hello Carrie

Have you had the dog done for Rabies yet? There are some threads on hear about bringing them Back.

We brought Our little Aussie back and she has settled in really well.

Mount Gambier? I bet that was hell on earth living there. Tasmania is a lovely place.

Can give some advice on dog so let me know.

John

Guest mbriody

Hey Carrie, have you been back to the UK recently? If not then you may be in for a bit of a shock. If you think the economic situation is bad in Oz it is ten times worse in the UK. The atmosphere is very much doom and gloom, many high street shops have gone under, unemployment is terrible (300 chasing each vacancy in my industry), pay cuts are the norm right now and there is massive undercurrent of unrest and ill feeling (justified or not) about immigrants coming in and either undercutting UK residents or not working at all and living off benefits (note these are not MY sentiments!).

We could not wait to get out!

Not trying to be unhelpful but just want to set some expectations.

Guest Carrie

Hi John

Yes, Tassie lovely indeed!!! Mount Gambier - say no more......... our dog has just had the rabies jab but I'm totally confused about where to go from here.

Are you back in the Uk now?

Guest Carrie

Hi

Yes, we've been back to the UK recently. In fact we've only been back in Oz 4 months since the trip (and very nearly didn't come back). We had a fabulous time and realised that our homesickness had some really firm foundations. I'm not sure where you are from in the Uk but I definitely think that that is a crucial part of the decision process. Sure, we passed through some areas which we thought were s***holes, but let's face it, there are many more s***holes in Oz. Similarly, there were some beautiful places, as there are here in Oz. At the end of the day, for us, it came down to preference and we decided that we are proud to be British and despite anything else, would rather live in our own culture and be surrounded by like-minded people. I think I'd like to agree with the ex CEO of Telstra, and congratulate him for having the courage to tell the world what Australia is really like.

Guest guest30038
Hi

I think I'd like to agree with the ex CEO of Telstra, and congratulate him for having the courage to tell the world what Australia is really like.

I personally, would take anything that hustler said with a pinch of salt. he failed, as he did elsewhere, and put it down to Australia being backward and racist. It was he looking down on Australia, not Australia looking down on him IMHO...............lets face it, Australia (or at least Mc Gauchie) gave him a job when the rest of the world had practically given up on him.

Henrie Ellis writes: Re. “Sol Trujillo: one slick hustler” (yesterday, item 26). Even before Solomon Trujillo was appointed, the Telstra board should have taken into account that the man already had form. As the CEO of US West, one of the “baby Bells” he deservedly gained the dubious honour of leading the “worst” Telco in the USA which allegedly engaged in misleading practices. By leading the merger of US West with Qwest he totally underestimated how the merger would destroy shareholder value and imperil jobs. So much for the strategic insight McGauchie rabbited on about after his appointment to Telstra.

By any measure Sol “could talk the talk but not walk the walk”. After severing ties with Qwest, brief flirtations with telcos Gravitron and Orange, he had some months floundering in the digital ether until McGauchie offered Sol the Telstra post. His record of undistinguished leadership was monumental; however his predilection for risk taking were undoubtedly appealing to McGauchie, whose similarly undistinguished leadership of the National Farmers Federation still rankles with many in the rural community. With some notable exceptions a miasma clouded the critical judgements of financial commentators, journalist and analysts.

This sad rabble of cheerleaders turned a blind eye to the brinkmanship of Trujillo and his cronies culminating in the fiasco of the failure to tender for the national broadband network. Yes, Adam Schwab is right; Trujillo is one slick hustler, a snake oil salesman, and as the passage of time will confirm, an abject failure as a corporate leader.

But perhaps I am being a bit harsh, he earned an enviable reputation in US conservative circles as an assiduous and successful fundraiser for the Republican Party especially Senator John McCain. Enough said.

From the last para, it is clear to see where his allegiances lie and it certainly wasn't with OZ

A spokeswoman for Mr Rudd told the ABC that the Prime Minister considered Mr Trujillo's statements “ridiculous comments which will disappoint Australians who welcomed him to this country”.

People keep saying Rudd's "adios" line was unthinking..........that's bull**** IMHO, Rudd knew exactly what he was saying and it was a crafty way of adding "don't let the door hit you on the way out."Sour grapes and nothing more from Trujillo, 'cause he got binned IMHO.

I'm also willing to bet that he didn't have to struggle with a visa application like some poor buggers on here do

kev

Guest pommiesue

Hi Carrie

I am sad to hear how unahppy you have been. I think the places you have been are somehwat isolated and well you know the population in this country is very small in proportion to the land mass. Perhaps you would have felt more settled if you try one of the cities or the larger country cities and surrounds. I mean Melbourne or Sydney. Did you travel through Victoria from Mt gambier? Tassie is nice but probably difficult to feel 'at home'. I have found the surfcoast and Bellarine peninsula pretty good and friendly. But i know it is very difficult to be at home in Australia for many other reasons.

I do hope you make the best decisions for you and thatyou will be happy.

Guest mandisfam

Hi Carrie, Just wanted to wish you lots of luck on return to the UK. 4.5 years you have been away, so at least you gave it a good go and congratulations on not returning sooner.

Wishing every happiness for the fortune back in the UK.

Mandisfam

Archived