Luggage weight & leniency - Cathay Pacific

Guest diegohandofgod

Guest diegohandofgod

Hello All

Does anybody know how tough or lenient Cathay Pacific are with their luggage weight limits for long haul flights from the UK?

I’m planning on flying to Australia with 26kg of checked-in luggage (allowance is 20kg). My hand luggage is likely to weigh about 12kgs though. There won’t be too much margin for safety on my part i.e. there won’t be much that I could throw away at the airport if I’m told to shed weight.

I know that check-in staff occasionally allow excess weight at their discretion, but I don’t know how stringent Cathay are. Can any advise?

Also, my trip is not a holiday – it’s emigration, therefore I’m going to ask them beforehand for a bit of leniency (it’s not as if I’m trying to take 40kg). They may oblige, or they may not! Worst case scenario is that I ditch all non-essential toiletries & clothes at the airport and pay excess on the rest.

Many thanks

Guest Hearne_Family

When we came out with Singapore Airlines we got double baggage allowance of 40kgs, do Cathay Pacific not do this?

YOU NEED TO CHECK WITH YOUR AIRLINE COMPANY, wE FLEW SINGAPORE AIRLINES AND GOT 40KGS EACH, 2 ADULTS CHILD 12 CLASSED AS ADULT AND CHILD AGE 6, PLUS HAND LUGGAGE, WE HAVE 7 SUITCASES IN TOTAL, EACH BAG MUST NOT WIEGH NO MORE THAN 35KGS EACH, CAN HAVE AS MANY AS YOU LIKE WITHIN YOUR ALLOWANCE.ALSO IF YOUR EMIGRATING TAKE YOUR VISA GRANTED STATMENT WITH YOU TO CHECKIN DESK, AS LONG AS YOUR VISA HAS NOT BEEN VALADATED BEFORE AND YOUR LEAVING FOR THE FIRST TIME YOUR GIVEN THIS ALLOWANCE ON CHECKIN.RING UP YOUR AIRLINE TO CHECK WHAT THERE PROCEDURE IS

Guest proud2beaussie

Cathay are ,from my experience,usually quite lenient regarding excess baggage up to about 5kg's over the limit for checked baggage they will let through without any charge.

They can be quite tough on hand luggage though so if I were you I would try and keep that as close to the 7 kg limit as possible.

In case you need it Cathay's baggage policy is here.

Baggage Information, International Airline Travel - Cathay Pacific

Guest gary12

We also flew with Singapore, we had already validated our visas but I understand an unvalidated one can give you double baggage allowance. We were over with all of our bags, I think about 26kilos in all (4 of us flew) but the check in girl just asked us to confirm we were one way and passed it off no problem.

Not sure if our blotchy puffy through crying faces helped!

If you are flying out of LHR there is a company called Excess baggage (I think) and they have pretty reasonable rates for excess certainly lower than an airline may charge. That was our last resort option.

best of luck

Michelle

The extra baggage allowance is not usually given for temporary visas (the 457 is classed as temporary). I have been at the airport and seen people having to unpack theri belonging at check in because their bags were too heavy.

Ali

Archived