Agent or No Agent

gemstone

Hmmmm....

I need some advice. I have been speaking to loads of people about agents and have spoken to 2 different agents.

I have pratically finished my visa application online and have almost done the form 80. Just need to sort evidence out. However when I spoke to an agent today he said that often people don't understand how detailed the visa references have to be, so they can assist with that and get everything certified, etc.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has done it on their own or with an agent - pros and cons.

The agent said they do it through paper, and if I am doing it through online surely it will be a little bit quicker.

I am useless at making decisions. Please help! :twitcy:

Hi and welcome to pio,

Can't help with the do it your self, As we are using an agent (Visa bureau) To be honest we are so pleased we did, There is a fair bit of paper work involved especially with ref to vetassess etc, Can be confusing in parts, Having to repeat your self over and over, We sent it all online to our agent so she could check it all over before she sent it on, I must admit she did shoot it back to us a couple of times asking if we could add or shorten certain parts, Im sure if we had gone alone we would have messed up big time,

Hopefully someone will be along who went and did it alone who can offer you some help,

Good luck

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gemstone

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I understand from one of your posts yesterday that Gemma is a teacher and Greg is a LED Engineer? You mentioned that you have to wait till September to submit your visa application. Is this so that you can get enough work experience to be able to get enough points for an sc 175?

Considering that you have obtained your skills assessment on your own, I certainly wouldn't think you have any reason to permit anyone else to undermine your confidence in your ability to do your visa application by yourselves next. Good heavens it is not rocket science and DIAC's statistics show that well over 50% of visa applicants are not represented by third parties.

The agent said they do it through paper, and if I am doing it through online surely it will be a little bit quicker

This is doubtless what they and their clients prefer. DIAC prefer people to make their applications on line if possible so if I were you I would co-operate with DIAC since the on-line form does not seem to be causing you problems?

Best wishes

Gill

I am not on the CSL, my occupation - primary teacher - is not on any 176 visas either - I have checked every single state. I have spoken to 2 migration agents, and 1 said he reckons 18 months and spoke to the DIAC and they said 12-15 months.

My skills were assessed and back in feb and have done an IELTS test. I have 125 points as of the 1st of September.

Yes I am waiting for the 3 out of 4 years full time in occupation = 10 points - without it I am 5 points short.

Its been a long wait as I have wanted to go since I went on a WHV in 2004.

Thank you GollyWobbler - what are your plans?

Nope unfortunately can't use greg's skills. He works with LED screens and has only done training on the job - so not strong enough for a skills assessment.

Have you used a migration agent? What are your plans?

I personally would not use an agent, for the simple reason being you still have to supply all the info required yourselves anyway and therefore paying the agents to basically fill in the forms. And as been stated before on this site nearly all the info you need is on here just a little research needed.

Thank you to you both.

I think the 175 visa should be ok for me - i know there is a whole stack of rumours around about if its being processed or not, and what happens if your not on the CSL.

I have now asked 2 migration agents and the DIAC and the thing they all said is 'it is not if i get my visa, it is when':

The DIAC said - 12-15 months

OE - 18 months max

Live in Australia - in the finiancial year 2009/10

So after being really worried on these forums, feeling a lot better now, and am getting more confidence to do it alone.

Any other advice is great!

That all sounds fine. It isn't rumour though about the non-CSL 175 visas not being processed at present. That is policy and DIAC will confirm that in their emails.

You could apply for non-CSL 175 and then if it is taking ages (and assuming the rules are the same as they are today) you could perhaps go out for a visit and try to organise a job and then get employer nomination/sponsorship which is the highest priority.

Guest Samfire

Hi there! Just in the process of terminating our contract with our agent. We applied via 176 and the bloody agent nearly cocked up our State Sponsorship application by not having the damn thing signed in the first place, and also had the guidelines misinterpreted, so it cost us a 30 day delay! We got State Sponsorship for a finish, and have lodged with DIAC online. Then the consultant never notified the ACT of our application number (TRN), which thankfully I picked up on myself, and sent it directly to ACT, who were waiting on it so that they could send their letter onto the Adelaide Processing Centre dealing with our online application. Once you are anyway competent to fill in forms and preferably have a little computer-based knowledge, then there is no reason why I would think you need to use an agent - we did, and they were none the wiser than us if you ask me. Also, they got me to fill in the online application anyway and save it so they could "check it"! All this, including skills assessment, to the tune of €9,500 or a whopping NZ$23,000!!!!!! We were ripped off big time - I don't want them touching my visas at this stage to tell you the truth!

If you do decide to use an agent, don't go with the Migration Bureau, otherwise known as the Oceania Development Group!!! Lots and lots of money to be shelled out to them and they will charge you for sending/receiving your emails and for telephone calls that they make to you and for calls you make to them (plus VAT!)

Best of Luck!

We are not using an agent, i think im good enough to find or ask for the info required by myself.

Its yet to be proven tho so fingers crossed

Id raher keep the money for my move although im really hoping its not false economy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gemstone

Your comprehension of your own situation is absolutely adequate for your own needs, hon.

You will be fine on your own.

Cheers

Gill

Guest tjmckay
Hmmmm....

I need some advice. I have been speaking to loads of people about agents and have spoken to 2 different agents.

I have pratically finished my visa application online and have almost done the form 80. Just need to sort evidence out. However when I spoke to an agent today he said that often people don't understand how detailed the visa references have to be, so they can assist with that and get everything certified, etc.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has done it on their own or with an agent - pros and cons.

The agent said they do it through paper, and if I am doing it through online surely it will be a little bit quicker.

I am useless at making decisions. Please help! :twitcy:

I have done must of the work myself and am half way through my online visa application I got my documents certified from the justice of peace at my local citzen advice office for FREE check out your local office hope this helps.

Archived