camper van or b&b's

stacybird123

hi there,

going to oz in may but can't decide on either hiring a camper van or just a car and using b & b's. If b & b's will we have any trouble finding them each night or do we need to book in advance?................the same question for camper vans do we need to book in advance the sites or just turn up?

many thanks

stacy

hi yes we are heading for queensland so that would be great.....................im finding it so hard to figure out if i need to book first the camping grounds or just turn up, do u know?

Also would you know if the camper vans have sat nav in them?

kind regards,

stacy

Guest Working to fish
hi there,

going to oz in may but can't decide on either hiring a camper van or just a car and using b & b's. If b & b's will we have any trouble finding them each night or do we need to book in advance?................the same question for camper vans do we need to book in advance the sites or just turn up?

many thanks

stacy

We've just returned from Brisbane, unsure where to hire a camper or have B&B. Stayed in hotel for first night, flipped coin in the morning which was a camper. Would definitely recommend it, got to look around the Brisbane suburbs, stayed on Gold Coast and Sunshine coast. Camp sites, per night, were around $30. We didn't book, just turned up. This way we met alot of Australians who gave us loads of information.

Dont know which part you're heading to but Queensland was no problem for camping.

We're looking to move to Brisbane but stayed at a camp site on Sunshine coast called Cottonfields, you step out of your van onto the beach, well recommend it. They haven't paid me to say this.

Eddie and family:D

hi and thanks for the replies and links............really appreciate it.

so $30 each night?...........there will be 3 of us sharing one camper, is this still the same price?, also we intend to drive to different suberbs like you did, so will be staying in different camping grounds each night, did you just stay in the one camping ground then?

also did u have sat nav in your camper?

is two weeks enough time to discover sunshine coast and gold coast?

many thanks

stacy

Guest Working to fish
hi and thanks for the replies and links............really appreciate it.

so $30 each night?...........there will be 3 of us sharing one camper, is this still the same price?, also we intend to drive to different suberbs like you did, so will be staying in different camping grounds each night, did you just stay in the one camping ground then?

also did u have sat nav in your camper?

is two weeks enough time to discover sunshine coast and gold coast?

many thanks

stacy

Yes we did have sat nav in our van. I would recommend you book a van before you go as we spent half of our first day driving around in taxi looking for camper hire firms. Once we'd found one it was a nice van, it was a winneytobaygo, 4 berth, toilet, shower, etc. cost us $1600. There was only two of us (me and my daughter - wife and baby didn't attempt journey). The van was alot bigger than we needed.

We also stayed at campsite Big4, which is 8km outside of Brisbane, in the suburb of Hendra. Stayed there 3 nights to get some job interviews out of way. Then went on to Gold Coast, 100's of campsites to choose from. We stayed at Bayswater (recommend this), if you've got children recomment visiting Waterworld as a day out, great fun for all ages. Went onto Burleyshead, about 30 mins further south. After this visited sunshine coast. We never pre-booked any camp sites, just turned up. We paid $30 per night, based on 2 people. We also had to pay $700 deposit on the van which we had back, no probs.

2 weeks is nowhere near enough but that was all our budget stretched to. Although we did find out heaps of info. Feel completely committed from doing this trip.

I don't know which part you're travelling to but 2 weeks is better than nothing.

All our forms are in and we're waiting for the go ahead.

Hope this will be some help.

Eddie and family

Hi Eddie and family!

We too are heading to Brisbane for 2 weeks in Aug - wish we had longer. Only booked flights so far. Please share any info or tips - where to visit, stay etc etc.

We too need to pack as much as poss in to find out where we would like to move to. Defo want to check out Sunshine Coast.

Cheers!

Jo x

Hi Stacy

Just spotted your threat. Camper fan sounds fun, but as a guide costwise, 2 of us - me and OH spent 2 weeks in oz covering Sydney to Brissie roughly. We hired car (booked in advance through LastMinute.com cost £250 for a toyota corrola (bout $625) and just stopped off at small motels/hotels without prebooking, cost average $100 per night per room. Total bout $2000 so the cost is very similar. No sat nav in car but you can buy road maps in most garages and the road system is really easy.

When you arrive at airport, go to information centre, loads of info and they are sooo helpful. We went on 'spur of the moment' with only flights and car booked and had absolutely no problems at all finding places to stay etc. Ozzies incredibly helpful and friendly. Best of luck and have a wonderful time :)

Lyn x

hi thanks for all the replies.

We have booked it all up..my husband is gonna go out there with his sister and brother-in-law who are also immigrating with us. . I wanna go too but don't think its fair on our two children aged 3 and 18 months. So gonna trust him to find a good place to settle. My husband sent his employment history forms off today and the first part of our fee for permanant residency. We have short listed beenleigh, jimboomba, nambour, beerwah, deception bay, jacobs well, robina, runnaway bay so far and my hubby will visit all of them.

Some questions please...............How much spending money should my hubby take for petrol and food for the two weeks?........................is it the same as driving here in the uk?..............

many thanks

stacy

Driving is a piece of cake, road signs etc v. similar to ours but much better! (Naturally)

Fuel is equivalent of about 40/45p per litre!

We averaged about $20/30 each day for food, (for 2 of us) eating out all the time, sometimes just fish and chips but all good.

Am getting jealous just thinking bout it :)

Lyn x

Hi Stacey

We hired a camper van 2 yrs ago in Alice Springs to go to Ayres Rock and it was awful.:sad:

Sorry I dont want to put you off and maybe we just got a crap one but it was so noisy in the back you couldnt talk to each other, the microwave door kept flying open as did all the cupboards and the cutlery rattled so much we stuffed the draw with a pillow, also it bounced around all over the place. I had visions of the kids all playing monopoly in the back while we leisurely drove 600km. No way, the pieces wouldnt stay on the board. :mad:

But one of the biggest problems (and obviously you know this before you start) is the fact you cant go anywhere without it.

Which means you have to pack everything up every time you want to go to the shops, restuarants, McDonalds, etc.

The campsites we stayed in were brilliant though, free bbqs, en-suite pitches, play areas, and the people we met were wonderful so that made up for it.:yes:

Just not sure I'd do it again.

But thats just my opinion, happy travelling

Sam :wubclub:

Guest mark.m
hi there,

many thanks

stacy

hi we hired a campervan at sydney, during december, which is australians hols, over there, and their summer, we drove from sydney to cairns in 19 days, stopped in some places for 2 nights and some for one. We stopped at almost all the tourist towns along the way. The camp sites were great, we used 4-5 star ones only worked out about £15 a night, well worth it. This is were you meet the real australia people. There is that many camp sites that we just booked on arrival, we couldnt get into one on new years eve so we went to a 3 star up the road. Dont think they will be that busy during may. december is their busiest time.

We used australian motor homes, I booked it online, we got a 6 berth, as there was 4 of us, and we had plenty of room. We stayed in hotels in sydney and cairns at the end and the begining, and we enjoyed the experience of the campervan the most. would definetly recommend.

diesel is cheaper also.

If you need to know any thing else, feel free to ask

p.s the big 4 holiday parks were good, and we also got discout, as we used australiancamper vans Brisbane was good, I enjoyed the sunshine coast

Guest Working to fish

cant tel u alot about the sunshine coast , but it is alot less hectic than the goldcoast for what we saw ,we stayed at a campsite called cotton feilds ,i wound rate it 10 out of 10.we didnt spend much time at all on the sunshinecoast as we had things to sort out in brisbane ,but the time we did spend there was great .not into eating fish and chips much ,but hd the best fish and chips ever at a chipshop next to campsite ,sorry cant tel you any thing much about sunshine coast. hot ,very hot , beachs were lovely and not many people on them .from brisbane airport .about 1 hour drive.

Guest Working to fish
Hi Eddie and family!

We too are heading to Brisbane for 2 weeks in Aug - wish we had longer. Only booked flights so far. Please share any info or tips - where to visit, stay etc etc.

We too need to pack as much as poss in to find out where we would like to move to. Defo want to check out Sunshine Coast.

Cheers!

Jo x

hi Jo

I'm having to rewrite your message as i've just realised i've posted it in the wrong place (new to the site - testing time). Anyhow, cant tell you much about the sunshine coast. We went to gold coast first which was great but we found after going to the sunshine coast that it was much more laid back, not full of high rise buildings everywhere. We stayed at a place called Cottonfield campsite, about an hours drive from Brisbane Airport. Would definitely recommend this campsite. Weather very hot, beaches were great compared to the gold coast (not that there's nothing wrong with gold coast beaches), definitely less people on sunshine beaches.

When you do get there listen out for the sound that you're feet make when you walk across the beach (you definitely wont hear that back here). Sorry we've not got any decent info the pass on as we were only there a short time, had other stuff to sort out in Brisbane.

Eddie and family

Archived