Questions for shippers..

nickynush

... I've got 2 shippers coming out to see us next week. We're hoping to send the contents of our 3 bed house to Melbourne in June - we arrive mid August. Does anyone have any suggetsions for questions I should be asking?

I've got John Mason and Pickfords coming - any other suggestions?

Thanks

Nicky

How much? how long (add a couple of weeks if they tell you 6-8)? Are they there own employed men in Aus? Can you find out where your stuff is as you go, our movers had a basic website which told us when it was in port etc, very basic but you knew when it arrived without bugging agents over chrimbo?? How many people actually claim on there insurance if you decide to take it?? Is it door to door service. Do they unpack things other end?

all i could think of, they will probably answer most of these in there sales pitch to you!! We had 4 agents round and there is a BIG difference between them, even there measuring up!!!

... I've got 2 shippers coming out to see us next week. We're hoping to send the contents of our 3 bed house to Melbourne in June - we arrive mid August. Does anyone have any suggetsions for questions I should be asking?

I've got John Mason and Pickfords coming - any other suggestions?

Thanks

Nicky

See my posts about John Mason...

We lost a whole pile of stuff - and dont think the insurance will cover losses.

If its not itemised and valued on the insurance and you have reciepts AND you can vouch it went on the wagon/container... its a waste of time.

Also, unless you watch every box being loaded and check their description of contents... you will have problems. Also remember that a packer deciding he wants your A1 bit of stuff, simply as to write it in the box description and you will sign for it being delivered...unless you check every box with the un-packers!

A friend used Crown to go to Auckland...did not liek it and bounzed back to UKin three months.. 2 trips same company nothing missing or damaged!

take your choice!

L.L.

PS, on our shipping list were "2 fishing Rods" I never owned a fishing rod since I was 10 with an home made 6ft cane!

they were 2 mobile antenna - i am a radio ham! A camera tripod was listed an "Easel" - one of 4 I shipped and recieved only 3!

but as they pointed out.... its showed 4 on the shipping notes and we signed for them as OK!

We had a sole use container so it was packed in front of our house and sealed while i was watching. I made sure all the boxes went on, they numbered them with stickers and i signed there sheet. In Aus i crossed off every box as it was taken out of container so at least i knew everything that went on came off.

Thankfully the UK crowd that we used was very good at packing boxes as it is unloaded from container in storage then reloaded in a container to be delivered to your house. The flippin numbties put all the boxes marked fragile under everything else. The Aus lot couldn't give a monkeys about our stuff, thankfully because they were so well packed not one thing broken.

We had a sole use container so it was packed in front of our house and sealed while i was watching. I made sure all the boxes went on, they numbered them with stickers and i signed there sheet. In Aus i crossed off every box as it was taken out of container so at least i knew everything that went on came off.

Thankfully the UK crowd that we used was very good at packing boxes as it is unloaded from container in storage then reloaded in a container to be delivered to your house. The flippin numbties put all the boxes marked fragile under everything else. The Aus lot couldn't give a monkeys about our stuff, thankfully because they were so well packed not one thing broken.

Who did you use?

Guest bradshawrw

Hi

We had Anglo Pacific in today to give us a quote. The guy was really nice and gave me loads of information. He said our 3 bed house will fit in to half a 20 ft container and will email me with a price in the next few days ?

I also have a little dog who i am thinking of taking, cheapest price so far is £800 ?

Can anybody give me an idea of prices over there, i need to decide if to take my stuff or buy new ?

How much on average is -

3 seater & 2 seater leather sofa

Double bed

single bed

washing machine

32" tv

These are just the main items.

Hi,

Sound advice. ithink we were victims becayse we were only shipping our arts & crafts, computers etc,. and used "Groupage" or part containers. However, we thought we had things checked and covered, 142 boxes on the inventory sent....142 boxes recieved.

There snag with this...is the packers cherry pick their loot and collect it into one or more boxes, They were were packing for two days and its virtually impossible to watch them 100%, we who know how many boxes actually went onto their wagon???

John Mason emailed in answer to my complaints stating that packers had 25 and 32 years service and they were extremely experienced.

I asked then how they listed fishing rods on the inventory when I never owned any! REply, "It appears one of teh men packed the antenns - but the other packer actaull listed them incorrectly on the inventory." They also stated that items I listed as missing actually showed on teh inventory. I agreed - pointing that "DVD's" or " Video's" on at least 4 boxes, did not identify the other contents. Reply. The Box content discription are often include multiple items aand therefore teh contents are "generalised"

To Which I replied, then packing and incorreectly identifying the contents, does not seem to be teh work of experienced packers and if teh boxes contents are not accurately listed, you cannot use as your defence, that I items I list as missing do not show on the inventory".

Seaches on this and other forum show that I amnot alone in this...its a mini side industry to the shipping trade - and peopel moving to another country with everything they own in the "care" of other are easy picking.

L. L.

Guest MandyJayne

Hi, we have just bought everything new as we found shipping costs too high. and i must warn you we are having some big problems with Anglo Pacific at the moment, we have still not received our stuff after 13 weeks and the company they use over here is awful!

Our bed cost $1300 and is very good, we got a 32 inch plasma for $500, sofas seems expensive (we bought one from our friend). To be honest there are some good deals if you hunt around and are open to brands you have not heard of before in the UK. Also you can bargain like crazy here!

I am glad we did not ship everything as we would have been sitting on the floor and sleeping on an airbed for weeks!

Good luck, be prepared to add at least weeks to any time they quote you.

Guest jewels1356

were useing john mason they picked the stuff up ion feb its only just left uk hopefully they say will be in brisbane on the 16th may

so i wait and see

julie

Hi, we have just bought everything new as we found shipping costs too high. and i must warn you we are having some big problems with Anglo Pacific at the moment, we have still not received our stuff after 13 weeks and the company they use over here is awful!

Our bed cost $1300 and is very good, we got a 32 inch plasma for $500, sofas seems expensive (we bought one from our friend). To be honest there are some good deals if you hunt around and are open to brands you have not heard of before in the UK. Also you can bargain like crazy here!

I am glad we did not ship everything as we would have been sitting on the floor and sleeping on an airbed for weeks!

Good luck, be prepared to add at least weeks to any time they quote you.

Hi,

We also applied this same logic, we only shipped a 3 seater and 2 seater settee along with our 2 LCD flat screens. The rest was our "toys & hobby" stufff hence only part container. Our stuff did not leave the UK for nearly 4 weeks after we flew out on 24th October 08, it arrived in Sydney 19th Jan 09 - we took delivery March 5th 09! Customs did not rush to clear it!

With hindsight, I wish we had used a container and brought more furniture with us. We sold it off cheap thing that dark wood "traditional " style dining table and chairs would be old fashioned in OZ..... but from what we see on sale...it would either fit in or could have sold easily here at a far better price than we got in the UK.

We moved into our new house on 30th Jan... were had 2 folding camper chairs and no TV's until the deliver, we read books galore and watched films with the laptop on the bed!

We got beds from Harvey Norman and a lounger which took 13 weeks to deliver! Another post explains the trauma of getting Telstra and Bigpond sorted out!

L.L.

John Mason "lost" a lot of our stuff - but Kent movers the Aus end delivery were great.

I would still warn people about losing stuff, despite what John Mason say - we are not their first "customer" to have been looted as other posts on here and other forum can clearly show.

Hi

We had Anglo Pacific in today to give us a quote. The guy was really nice and gave me loads of information. He said our 3 bed house will fit in to half a 20 ft container and will email me with a price in the next few days ?

I also have a little dog who i am thinking of taking, cheapest price so far is £800 ?

Can anybody give me an idea of prices over there, i need to decide if to take my stuff or buy new ?

How much on average is -

3 seater & 2 seater leather sofa

Double bed

single bed

washing machine

32" tv

These are just the main items.

Hi,

In Oz your dog will need to be chipped and have its jabs!

Aussie's dont treat dogs like the UK pets, most have "garden" dogs...which is exactly what it means...they stay out in the garden 24/7!

You will seldom see anybody out with a dog -socially --- except early and late walking the dog routines ...and most dont even bother with that.

Its strange but, we have never seen any "No Dogs" signs out side shops or shopping mall entrances. It does not mean they allow dogs..its just that the don't expect anybody to even want to take a dog out with then while shopping!

Link dogs in gardens to that few house have burglar alarm systems fitted - by the time the police react or can drive to out to some out of town places, burglars could have taken your house brick by brick! So its dogs and window bars!

Cats on the other hand are required by law to be indoors at night!

Archived