176 family sponsor change to state sponsor?

Hi everyone

Im pretty new to this, and never posted a thread before but i read threads everyday and love the site!

So now im just wondering if anyone can help me

We used a migration consultant to do our application and lodged our online 176 family sponsorship visa application on 16th Dec and we have recently done our medicals which have been finalised etc, we then obviously found out that they changed the ranking and that our application would be put to the bottom of the pile! and we havent had a case worker assigned or anything exciting so we are assuming the application is gonna take forever.

So my question is - what do we need to do to change to state sponsorship, is there a specific area we have to go to , how much does is cost etc and if anything is it likely to actually speed up our process?

We started our appliaction in Jan 2008 and we are now going insane, someone please help!

Claire and Liam

Hi Claire And Liam, Welcome to pio, Hope you enjoy the site!!

Maybe the best thing to do is ring your agent, Do you have a state in mind where you would be happy to settle, also check to see if that state is sponsoring your trade!

Im sure someone else will be along with more helpfull suggestions, Good luck x

Guest The "legdes"

Hi Claire/Liam

You sound in the same boat as us except we have been waiting since last July. We were relative sponsored, were on CSL then fell off so now are in the MODL pile which doesn't look like its going to get processed anytime soon - maybe not even this year (?)..... we are with an agent and he advised us to change to state sponsored if we wanted to climb to the top of the priority processing list again. In hind sight I just wish we'd gone ss in the first place - but hey.

I guess it depends on your circumstances - we have 3 kids 2 of them teenagers so need to move pretty quick - we've sold our house too - so for us not moving this year is nightmare territory. The problem if you don't change to ss is that the modl can change and if you end up in the sol pile who knows when you'll get a visa. As you've had your meds done already and presumably your police checks you are on a bit of a time limit with those unless you don't mind paying for them all again ...without knowing how you feel and what your urgency really is I'd say go for the ss and get that visa while you still can. You'd kick yourselves in 6 months if you had the chance now but didn't take it.

Our agent is dealing with ours but anyone can convert from a relative sponsored to ss if they get the state to agree and I don't think there is much to do to make the switch. Have a chat with the agent who did yours initially. Oh - and applying for ss costs nothing (our agent isn't charging anything extra either).

Hope this helps you .

Thanks for your answers! not looking too good for us then! i have applied through the Business and Info professionals role which was on the skills list (as i am IT Technician) but has now been taken off, we are hoping to go to Queensland as that is where my sister lives.

Iv just emailed my migration agent asking about state sponsorship and they have replied saying that they are lookin into it as there may be costs involved!

Il let you know what they say!

If you've been waiting since July how are you coping? we were told to get our medicals done by our agent and im now thinking that we made the wrong decision as we may need to get them done again if it takes longer than a year!

Very confusing times!

IS there a central place you can enquire about state sponsorship? how would i find out if my skill is required in a certain state?

Thanks again

Claire and Liam

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi have a look at this link to all the states:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

see which one you fit in and want to go to... Our Agent didn't charge anything as we did all the work and he just checked it... Some states charge an application fee now and we have been waiting for an answer from Victoria for 11 weeks so far...

Good luck

Julie x IT Wag

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Clare & Liam

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Business & Information Professionals not elsewhere classified includes all sorts of unlikely people - solicitors, barristers, IT wizards and almost anyone else with a degree can have this very general dog tag put round their necks because the skills authority is Vetassess and the ONLY thing that they do is to confirm that the applicant holds a degree which is equivalent to or higher than an Australian Bachelor's degree.

Business and Information Professionals not elsewhere classified 2299-79 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Even the ASCO Code - the authoritative document - does not attempt to describe what a person with this job title might actually do all day long at work!

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

So it is a nice, cosy choice when the applicant does not fit neatly into any other category and the availability of family sponsorship would make it easier still.

The ACT charge $275 for an application for State Sponsorship. NSW charge $240. None of the other States charge anything.

However you might well have to do another skills assessment, this time via ACS or whoever, in order to get one that is on the 176 List for one of the States. Right now, beggars can't be choosers. If you want State Sponsorship then you have to agree to go and give the State which has been kind enough to help you out your own best shot at trying to live in this generous, supportive State for a couple of years.

The full ASRI list of occupations is here:

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

To get more details about a given occupation, paste the 6 digit Code number into the search box on the ABS website because the ASCO Code is held by the Australian Bureau of Statistics:

Australian Bureau of Statistics

Julie has already supplied the link to the various State/Territory websites.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Claire/Liam, & The Ledges,

As another poor soul on a family sponsored application, my worry if I stay with it is this, and I asked it of my agent:-

What I was referring to was the pass mark. Originally I did not score enough points to qualify for a 176 visa, so applied on a 175, but then the pass mark was lowered, so my occupation, Life scientist, allowed me to apply via a family sponsored 176. What I am concerned about is that if the pass mark is not ‘frozen’ as of the date of application, I may not score enough points should the new level be raised. I hope this makes sense. My app was lodged Oct 08, nothing since.

PJ

Hi Claire/Liam, & The Ledges,

As another poor soul on a family sponsored application, my worry if I stay with it is this, and I asked it of my agent:-

What I was referring to was the pass mark. Originally I did not score enough points to qualify for a 176 visa, so applied on a 175, but then the pass mark was lowered, so my occupation, Life scientist, allowed me to apply via a family sponsored 176. What I am concerned about is that if the pass mark is not ‘frozen’ as of the date of application, I may not score enough points should the new level be raised. I hope this makes sense. My app was lodged Oct 08, nothing since.

PJ

I have found out through Gill on another thread that any new points level cannot affect an application once it has started processing; if it takes 2 years it won't affect us, so at least that's a positive out of all this negativity. Gills input though is, I have to say, second to none!!

Thanks PJ

Guest Gollywobbler
that is good news! does anyone know about the ACS? Australian Computer Society and if it helps the application in anyway?

Hiya

What is your actual occupation, please? Please give me a job title and code number from the list below:

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

If your occupation is one of the ones that ACS deal with then you need to examine the ACS website and find out exactly what ACS need. My guess is that a woolly, generic sort of job-title was selected for you because there may have been doubt about whether you would get through the more stringent ACS process.

We need to know what the possibilities are, realistically, before you can decide what you want to do.

Best wishes

Gill

• 4 months later...

my husband lodged his application on nov 08 as family sponsored but due to some changes its now at the bottom,he wants to convert it to state/territory sponsorship in darwin,his occupation gen.plumbing is under occupation shortage list.plzzzz help if that is possible and how much does it cost bec.based on the research ive been doing every state needs money to show like in darwin he needs to show money AUD70,000 for having 3kids.is this true.does anyone help us the steps on how to apply online for state/territory?:goofy:

Archived