Shipping small items - company idea's please

2tigers

Hi there,

I'm going back home to the UK pretty soon and will be shipping some items back.

No more than 10 boxes worth.

Any idea on a good reliable cheap company to use?

I'm in Melbourne

Thanks

It may not be much help, but we had our stuff shipped to Oz by John Masom in the UK and their Aussie contractors are Kent.

Our stuff was looted wholesale, I think by the packers in the UK.

Whoever you use, ensure you have proof of the contents and where possible photo's.

You dont say how big the boxes are.... so crating and shipping will maybe cost as much or more as "groupage" or shared container.

Find a shipper and ask them to quote.

Our friend used Crown - who have offices in Aussie - so a Google search will find them. They went to NZ - did not settle and returned to UK ...both trips using Crown.

Not one item missing or damaged!

Crown are usually a bit more expensive, which is why we did not use them....but less stressed and over in Oz, when we checked - they included in teh costs what other added on to the quote ( customs charges and such)

Sorry it did not work out for you.

Best Wishes

L.L.

Hi all

After 6 months of being in oz I am in the process of organising goods to be shipped back to u.k. One query I have is how have people overcome the problem of customs issues where it specifies that the importer must have had home outside the EC for at least 12 months...

Those that have returned to the u.k did you keep items to a minimum or did you keep items in storage to overcome this problem.

I would be interested to know others actions.

Cheers

Woz:err:

Hi all

After 6 months of being in oz I am in the process of organising goods to be shipped back to u.k. One query I have is how have people overcome the problem of customs issues where it specifies that the importer must have had home outside the EC for at least 12 months...

Those that have returned to the u.k did you keep items to a minimum or did you keep items in storage to overcome this problem.

I would be interested to know others actions.

Cheers

Woz:err:

I am no expert but two things occur to me, a lot of customs blurb relates to importers & exporters of goods rather than household items of an indivual, logically if you are exiting Oz to return "home" with your possesions, they are highly unlikely to prevent i.

Like all systems, there may be catchall regulations which includes costs.

If you are going back with - say - 100 genuine didgeridoo's, they assume you are an exporter and not perhaps a collector! If you have one didgeridoo, its a private possession.

In normal life, Customs are fully aware that some people/families coming to Oz - for whatever reasons - pack up and return tothe UK.

I have not seen any posts about customs problems from any of the ones who declare on the forum they are going back.

Unless you are planning on simply packing stuff and sendng it via Oz post or some other carrier where you may need to do a customs declaration, the shippers you use should give you full information.

Sorry if I add to your confusion.

Also, I have made a few posts recently after having our stuff shipped here, on delivery we found a lot of things missing. John Mason Liverpool are totally unhelpful, they blamd Oz customs and everybdy except their "25 years experienced honest and trusted packers".

I suggest if you use shippers to make sure you have proof of the contents in each box.

L.L.

I've organized mine through 'Grace' shipping..... I hope its not a 'fingers crossed' company!

I think its likely to depend not on the name of teh shippers...but the packers and anyone connected with handling the stuff.

We lost a lot of small things and a couple of thing sthat will cost about £300 to replace.

WHich ever company is involved...do all you can to identify the box contents and dont trust the packers no matter how nice they seem.

I can never advise anybody not to use John masaon Liverpool just because our stuff was "lost" in their care..... but I feel it right that I can advise people about our losses an d they can make their own choice.

Good luck

L.L.

Archived