Switching from visa 175 to 176

LisaR

Hi all

I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice about switching to the 176 visa.

We submitted our application online for the 175 on the 15th August 2008, however, due to the changes they have made I am worried that we will never get our visa. Do you think it is worth changing to the 176 and if so, how much would it cost us?

We are not using an agent due to costs and we decided not to take our medicals and PCC's until we know where we stand with the 175 as we are worried there could now be a years waiting list which would mean they will expire!

Also, if we applied for the 176 and it was rejected, could we still proceed with the 175?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Lisa

OH Carpenter.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lisa

I would definitely recommend switching to a State Sponsored subclass 176 visa.

Carpenter is on the 176 List for several States/Territories. The link to all the relevant websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Unless you apply to the ACT (cost $275.00) currently there is no charge for making a State Sponsorship application. NSW is the only other State that charges an application fee but they do not sponsor trade occupations for the 176 visa anyway.

Subclasses 175 and 176 are both in Class VE. Therefore an application for one is automatically an application for either/or.

When you receive an offer of State Sponsorship the State will send Form 1100 direct to the ASPC. The State will also notify you of the offer. You will need to send Form 1022 to the ASPC, with a copy of the State's offer to you, requesting that DIAC proceed with an application for a State Sponsored 176 instead of a 175. Apart from completing Form 1022 there is no extra form-filling to do and DIAC do not charge anything for switching the application between the two subclasses.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Lisa, my OH is a carpenter also and we too applied for 175 visa. Just applied for sponsorship with WA a week ago so waiting to hear. I think its the best way forward so we will change to 176 if sponsorship successful. Good luck x

Guest brads

Thanks for this advice I think I will also follow this route, I applied for a 175 in October and am also worried at how much longer it will take so was thinking of switching to a 176, the problem I have is that I want to emigrate to Sydney who don't sponsor anyone. I was told by an agent, that if you emigrate to a state on 176 its a verbal agreement that you stay in that state and it wouldn't matter if you moved around, do you know if this is true?

For example if I emigrated to Adelaide, then a month or so later moved to Sydney would this be allowed or would I be breeching my visa? Websites do say that you have to stay for 2 years you can then move on so I'm not sure which is true and I don't want to jepordise my visa.

Your advice or anyone else's would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

Katrina, Brad & kids

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Dawn

Thanks for the info. How did you apply for the SS on-line, was it through the same system as the 175?

Lisa

Hi Lisa

You apply direct to the State/Territory concerned. Some of the States use an on-line application system similar to the DIAC one. Others still insist on a paper application sent by metal carrier pigeon.

Which State(s) are you interested in?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

It was Queensland. I completed the form last week and posted it to the state so fingers x'ed!

Thanks for the advice.

Lisa

OH Carpenter

Passed Vetassess 9th April 2008 (Accrington), Applied for 175 Online 15th August 2008, trying to switch to 176 (applied for QLD SS 27th March 2009). Holding off Medicals & PCC's until we know where we stand with Visa timelines.

Archived