ONSHORE SPOUSE VISA(your thoughts)

aussietool

Hi All

Would just like to know if anyone has done or is doing a spouse visa onshore whilst on a holiday visa,

how did you go about it,ie taking paperwork over there,explaining why you are applying onshore with a holiday visa and any other problems or concerns you encountered

just any info would be greatly welcome

Thanks

Geoff & Jacqui

:notworthy:

Guest Guruju

Hi Geoff

I was visiting on a 674 visa arrived August 1994 (no residency/formal study or work) when I, unexpectedly met Karl in the Northern Territory (he's Australian). I applied and, within a few months got a Class WB Bridging Visa - only restriction no work (issued Jun 95). Sep 95 I was granted Temporary residency class 820 and was able to work. In July 97 I became a resident, no restrictions. In 2000 I became a citizen.

I found the process very straightforward and the Australian Immigration staff very helpful and supportive.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Julia

Guest Guruju

Hi Geoff

I think its a class of visa that is potentially open to abuse but if you are genuine in your relationship then it should not be a problem at all.

I am not sure if it made a difference that I applied when in Darwin rather than a more overwhelmed department in Sydney as the Darwin staff made it a very personable and enjoyable experience as did the office in Perth where we relocated to.

I had enough funds to last whilst waiting to get a class of visa where I could work and, of course, Karl supported me during the more restrictive visa periods, so it is important to ensure adequate funds are there for you to survive on.

Best of luck with your application.

Cheers

Julia

Guest Guruju

Just had another thought - I am not sure though if you are saying that you are together now and both coming here?

If so, there have been posts on here stating that the class of visa you come in on must be the correct one for the purpose of your visit - you may want to search the site for this or look for posts by Gollywobbler as she is very spot on re visas - there may be an issue if you are on a holiday visa instead of applying for the correct one as part of an application for a spouse class of visa?

Alternatively you could say that you were testig things out and here on holiday and then make the decision a few months down the track? I am not sure how they could deny that but I am no migration expert.

Cheers

Julia

thanks

we just got married on the 15th,so its a honeymoon,come holiday,come visiting my dad who has been there for 30 years,so we are just going to say that we've come over and my dad has given us the opportunity to stay with them and apply for the visa

Guest cassyjane

Hi

Just a quick note, if your intending on taking all you paperwork/evidence with you for the spouse visa application i would reccomend you post it to your dad first, immigration can deny you entry if they find evidence that you will be applying for a different visa whilst in the country they think it is dishonest. just a warning would hate for you to get pulled up and refused entry

good luck

Guest Guruju

Hi Geoff

First of all, congratulations to you both on your marriage.

Cassy Jane has a point. I had friends I worked with in the UK who got married out here as all the groom's family had lived here for 30-40 years and many were business owners etc. They applied out here whilst on honeymoon and were sent back to the UK to apply from there. They eventually got in on a temporary visa but were not granted residency and went back to the UK. Just crazy. So its not something to be taken for granted or taken lightly - as I said check out posts by Gollywobbler - its may save you a lot of pain but getting the process right with the correct visa application before you land here.

Best of luck

Regards

Julia

Hi All

Would just like to know if anyone has done or is doing a spouse visa onshore whilst on a holiday visa,

how did you go about it,ie taking paperwork over there,explaining why you are applying onshore with a holiday visa and any other problems or concerns you encountered

just any info would be greatly welcome

Thanks

Geoff & Jacqui

:notworthy:

Hi aussietool

I hardly ever come on this site anymore, but i did & thought i would just reply to you.

Spouse visa on shore is a piece of cake, you must put in your application b4 you holiday visa runs out & once you have you cant leave without contacting immi.

I opted for an interview & lodged my application on the same day, sep 28th 06 (sometimes you are granted temp or pr which ever is your case that same day) but i needed an updated bit of paperwork from my ex re my youngest daughter.

My temp visa was granted Oct 13th 06 only 15 days later.

I applied for my pr on nov 4th 08 2 years later & my pr was granted on Feb 28th 09 only 3 months later, its all very easy & nothing to worry about

good luck

stuju

Archived