Education system structure?

LukeM

Hi all,

I'm 16 - wondering if anyone can possibly give me a "breakdown" of the education system in Queensland and South Australia?

Basically, my family are looking to be back in Australia potentially just before I have the opportunity to complete A levels in the UK. Potentially at that point I could have offers and suchlike from Universities in the UK. I understand that if I haven't actually completed A levels and/or actually applied to any Universities in Australia there's not really much hope for me getting in without undertaking some more schooling in Australia. I also have a younger brother who will be 15 when we (hopefully) get to Australia.

That means I will be 17 or possibly even 18. This whole situation affects me much more than my brother. I really want to get the best possible result from a move in terms of education, or there won't be much point in me going if I can't go to Uni and do what I've always wanted. Otherwise I might as well just stay in this broken trash-hole that is Britain now.

So, does anybody know what I will have to do when I get to Australia (bearing in mind I really want to go to University, and I also really really want to evade International Student fees!)

Finally, I will be going to some crazy UCAS fair thing today in Surrey - I believe they have a "Study Options Aust/New Zealand" exhibition on there which no doubt I will be going to in the hope of "grilling" some faculty from some Australian Uni's (whether they're from SA or QLD or not!!)

Any ideas?

:hug:

Hi all,

I'm 16 - wondering if anyone can possibly give me a "breakdown" of the education system in Queensland and South Australia?

Basically, my family are looking to be back in Australia potentially just before I have the opportunity to complete A levels in the UK. Potentially at that point I could have offers and suchlike from Universities in the UK. I understand that if I haven't actually completed A levels and/or actually applied to any Universities in Australia there's not really much hope for me getting in without undertaking some more schooling in Australia. I also have a younger brother who will be 15 when we (hopefully) get to Australia.

That means I will be 17 or possibly even 18. This whole situation affects me much more than my brother. I really want to get the best possible result from a move in terms of education, or there won't be much point in me going if I can't go to Uni and do what I've always wanted. Otherwise I might as well just stay in this broken trash-hole that is Britain now.

So, does anybody know what I will have to do when I get to Australia (bearing in mind I really want to go to University, and I also really really want to evade International Student fees!)

Finally, I will be going to some crazy UCAS fair thing today in Surrey - I believe they have a "Study Options Aust/New Zealand" exhibition on there which no doubt I will be going to in the hope of "grilling" some faculty from some Australian Uni's (whether they're from SA or QLD or not!!)

Any ideas?

:hug:

A general outline can be found here for all the states Education in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are proposing to move at a very difficult age. It would be better to come with A levels if you could rather than than try and negotiate your way through the minefield that is senior education here I reckon. Either that or be prepared to do years 11 and 12 here - you can do them at TAFE rather than doing them in a school with kids who would be younger than yourself.

All depending on what visa you come on you will be up for fees of some kind or another - until you are a citizen you dont get the benefit of deferred fees and HECS help. You will have to pay up front for uni but whether you pay the domestic fees or the international fees will, as I said, depend on your visa.

Guest rachyh

Hey, I'm 17 in one week and I'm in the exact same position as you! We are hoping to move in september time so i wont have finished my a-level. Basically, from what i've been told on here you would go back to school for year 11/12 or just year 12 to get aussie qualifications and can then go on to uni. You may not like the thought of having to go back a year but in Oz they start school a year later than here so you would actually be in with your age group if you were to redo a year! Hope this helps...:)

In general Australia recognises all education systems and allows transfer of credit from previous study. For an overview of the systems see The Australian Qualifications Framework - Qualifications & Education, Training and Career Pathways

There are many pathways to university, many use the vocational VET/TAFE system as an alternative to school then university, plus can make university fees significantly cheaper :)

Cheers Andrew

Archived