Little things I dont get about Oz!!

welsh in oz

Guest fatpom
Don't you tink the standards were better in Aus. I think standards and regs in this country of a very low standard.

Despite what is often stated on here the general overall standard of tradesmanship within the engineering trades (& all trades generally I think?) is far better than the UK.

Its not that the individual is any better in terms of potential its just that they still train their apprentices properly.

For instance they are taught how to produce things the old manual way as well as the modern computer controlled way which develops basic skills and improves problem solving. They force them to do a minimum amount of classroom or workshop training which gives them better technical and practical knowledge.

The licencing system keeps cowboys out of the construction trades to some degree. Its designed to protect the consumer so its can only be a good thing. If you're not good enough to get a licence... tough!!!

The regulations are designed to meet minimum safety and quality standards particulary in electrical and mechancial disciplines. Its helps stop safety standards slipping and provides legal sanctions where standards have not been met whether that be through incompetence or 'short cutting'.

The professional licencing system keeps professional standards up too. The job I did in the UK for 20 years I cannot do here because I'm not sufficiently qualified to do. I would have to go back & do a 4 year degree. The choice is always mine to go & do that... no-one is stopping me.

Its designed to keep up a minimum standard for the general good of all in Aus and its a good thing. :smile:

Despite what is often stated on here the general overall standard of tradesmanship within the engineering trades (& all trades generally I think?) is far better than the UK.

Its not that the individual is any better in terms of potential its just that they still train their apprentices properly.

For instance they are taught how to produce things the old manual way as well as the modern computer controlled way which develops basic skills and improves problem solving. They force them to do a minimum amount of classroom or workshop training which gives them better technical and practical knowledge.

The licencing system keeps cowboys out of the construction trades to some degree. Its designed to protect the consumer so its can only be a good thing. If you're not good enough to get a licence... tough!!!

The regulations are designed to meet minimum safety and quality standards particulary in electrical and mechancial disciplines. Its helps stop safety standards slipping and provides legal sanctions where standards have not been met whether that be through incompetence or 'short cutting'.

The professional licencing system keeps professional standards up too. The job I did in the UK for 20 years I cannot do here because I'm not sufficiently qualified to do. I would have to go back & do a 4 year degree. The choice is always mine to go & do that... no-one is stopping me.

Its designed to keep up a minimum standard for the general good of all in Aus and its a good thing. :smile:

Fat Pom

I do aggree with you the Aussie are not nesserrcy better trades men but they are alittle like Maggiver. Make somthing out of nothing.

It's more about better standards and monitoring.

We do need to learne the Australian way so no point moaning about the retraining and licencing.

But for me there was no way I was going to retrain to the high standards I produce in the UK for such a poorly paid trade. If I was going to put in so much effort I would have had a total carreer change and train for somthing more rewarding.

I think Plumbing in Aus has that affect on Brittish Plumbers, I met so many who just got out of plumbing in order to stay in Australia.

John

Guest littlesarah

I hate wooden loo seats - a porous material used on something that generates an aerosol of gut bacteria? Yuk!!

I agree about trades training - my husband is an Aussie-trained detailed joiner/shopfitter, and his training was far more wide-ranging than his UK co-workers. Mind you I think his perfectionist streak probably helps with his attention to detail!

As for erectile dysfunction - it's incredibly common in men over 50, and lots of them suffer in silence. I think it's good if Aussies are more open about the condition - it must awful for men & their partners to have to just put up with it. And the radio does have an 'off' switch if you really can't stand it!

I love that Australia isn't like the UK - bring it on!

S

Just thought I'd comment on the plastic loo seats - on a visit to the grandparents new house with a four year old girl and two year old boy we did all the admiring and I noticed the loo had one of those "up-market" ceramic lids

five minutes later I heard a god-awful scream from the same direction

I now know what a small willy looks like after it's been "snapped" by ceramic

that incident set me back to nappies for a month!

Plastic seats are often preferable to wooden seats because if the varnish wears off the wood, it becomes more susceptible to water damage, and especially with cleaning. They are not very hardy, but you can buy them at Bunnings and they are easy to replace, whereas the wooden ones are more costly to replace. Enough about toilet seats, better get back to my girello roast, cheers olly

Archived