Esperance voted 2nd best place to live in whole of Australia

Guest evertheoptimist

Guest evertheoptimist

What great news, we are due to move there next month and this only confirms we have made the right choice.

Does everyone agree with list?

This is a link to the full list of best places to live in Oz

100 Best Towns in Australia

Guest grantspants

We're going too, and the list looks good ;) although living somewhere and tourists visiting is two different things. But life is what we all make it, and adapting to the aussie way and not trying to live like we do in england, expecting things to be the same is the key I think.

We are looking forward to it, not expecting too much and taking life as it comes. We hope that sees us through.

Hopefully we'll see you there evertheoptimist, didn't you say your husband was going to work for ARG like me?

thanks

Guest evertheoptimist

Hi Grantspants

Couldn't have said it better. Glad to see you have a good solid open mind set like us. We are under no illusion that it may be difficult to begin with but are prepared to take whatever comes our way. Yes he is going to work with them and you no doubt will see him at some point. Would be good to see you when settled, husband is in agreement with this.

Thankyou for the positive comment and good luck.

Esperance is Lovely, a bit out in the sticks but the scenery is stunning. Also can be quite cold being on the south coast but some of the best beaches (and fishing) in the world. I do like it down there, however very quiet.

Like everywhere Esperance has pros and cons. It certainly does have some fantastic scenery and the beaches are unbelievable, they remind me of the Greek islands or somewhere like that.

I'm sure everyone going there will love it, we did.

Guest hotlips

This is great news! I didnt realise this and it is, personally, quite reassuring. I have my provisional partner visa (approved in Jan 09) and will be moving out to Esperance end of May-early June 09 time. Im looking at flights now trying to find the best airline that allows the most luggage... but no luck so far..

My partner is from & currently lives in Esperance. I met him whilst travelling in 2005 and maintained (although very hard at times) a long distance relationship with a few visits and him living with me here in the UK for two years. Cant wait to get back with him, its been 4 months apart again now. Very excited and seeing that about Esperance has just confirmed everything for me even more! I stayed there for one month whilst travelling and liked the place & went back for small visits so I have basic knowledge of the town. The beaches are amazing. I just hope I can get a decent job there as its quite different to where im from in the UK(Colchester, Essex) in that respect. Its more agricultural work. We'll see, if not a move up to Perth will be on the cards.

I realise there are good and bad points to everywhere, but hey, Im going to be alot happier out of the UK & in Aus with the guy I want to be with. We're both 27 & 28 so will be looking to have children in the next few years. Very excited about my future!

Enjoy Esperance & will probably (unknowingly) bump into you!

Guest evertheoptimist

Hey Tim & gpo1971

Out in the sticks is just what we need, we want our kids away from Yorkshire as it seems to be getting worst and less save every week for them, Esperance prob' has faults too but we'll find out. After the winter we had i'm sure we can handle a bit of cold weather altough the snow was awsome got to spend time buildng snowmen and falling over alot.

Hotlips

Congratulations to you, lovely to read your post. Just goes to show if you want something bad enough you can achieve anything. Not sure about work there yet as i'm planning on getting everyone settled in before looking for work but did see on the Espernce Express website that they are planning on expanding the port to deal with international shipments etc so maybe that could be worth looking into. You probably will bump into me I'll be the one wondering about making people talk to me. We may be going around the same time as you so if i find out about luggage allowance I'll let you know hopefully soon. Good luck for your new life over there.

Guest hotlips
Hey Tim & gpo1971

Out in the sticks is just what we need, we want our kids away from Yorkshire as it seems to be getting worst and less save every week for them, Esperance prob' has faults too but we'll find out. After the winter we had i'm sure we can handle a bit of cold weather altough the snow was awsome got to spend time buildng snowmen and falling over alot.

Hotlips

Congratulations to you, lovely to read your post. Just goes to show if you want something bad enough you can achieve anything. Not sure about work there yet as i'm planning on getting everyone settled in before looking for work but did see on the Espernce Express website that they are planning on expanding the port to deal with international shipments etc so maybe that could be worth looking into. You probably will bump into me I'll be the one wondering about making people talk to me. We may be going around the same time as you so if i find out about luggage allowance I'll let you know hopefully soon. Good luck for your new life over there.

Hi evertheoptimist

Thanks for your reply! And i'll have a look about the port work. Have you been to Esperance? If you do find out about any luggage allowance do let me know if you dont mind! Im still looking around trying to find the best airline that allows the most, but because the type of visa I have is not permanent (until after two years) I do not qualify for a migration fare (even though they are v.expensive) or double baggage allowance. However, I know Singapore Airlines definitely does allow double at 40kg for people migrating as long as they have an unvalidated visa and book a one way ticket, so they are prob worth a try for you & your family. I emailed them the other day about it. Good luck with it all if I dont hear from you

Guest yankee

Esperance is quite amazing. Sure, it is really in the sticks, but that's fine by me. My hubby is getting sponsored by a local farm there, so if all goes well *fingers crossed* we will be there in September.

@evertheoptimist - looks like we are in the same boat as far as visas & location goes! :)

Oh, and regarding the luggage allowance: Qantas offers migration fares, but they will not be listed online, you have to call them. Basically it's a one-way ticket that's valid only if you have your visa. It allows for 40kg of luggage per person. It's also "cheaper" than the regular fare, not sure about British pounds, but it's roughly 750 Euros, the normal fare would be around 1100-1400 Euros to give you an idea.

The problem of course is getting to Esperance from Perth. Skywest obviously flies there, but I am not sure they will allow the 40kg per person. They only use Fokker 50 or Fokker 100 planes to Esperance. It's worht a call though. I think we will actually stay in Perth for a few days first, then rent a car and take the 7+ hour drive down there, once we arrive.

mandurah and runaway bay never even made the list.....wow

The criteria for the list was a population of less than 45,000 - Mandurah is probably twice that.

I was happy to see Fremantle at 23rd though :smile:

Guest happychefoz

Hi every1 i currently live in Esperance have done for nearly two years am out here on a 457 visa working as a Chef from N.Ireland but i am in the process of changing to a partner visa to get my PR.

Its a great town but if your coming from a city or big town u will def be in for a shock !! Its like steppin back in time everywhere closes on Sundays !! But its a relaxed lifestyle and every1 in town is really friendly just gotta relie on the internet for clothes shoppin etc cos there are only really 3 or 4 clothes shops in town lol

But if any1 wants to know anything bot the town def give me a shout

Guest evertheoptimist
Hi every1 i currently live in Esperance have done for nearly two years am out here on a 457 visa working as a Chef from N.Ireland but i am in the process of changing to a partner visa to get my PR.

Its a great town but if your coming from a city or big town u will def be in for a shock !! Its like steppin back in time everywhere closes on Sundays !! But its a relaxed lifestyle and every1 in town is really friendly just gotta relie on the internet for clothes shoppin etc cos there are only really 3 or 4 clothes shops in town lol

But if any1 wants to know anything bot the town def give me a shout

Hey nice to hear from someone who lives there already, thank you. Were you one of the chefs that took part in that competition a while ago Fine food fresh produce wasn't it?

To be honest the reason we chose Esperance is for the slower pace of life, we have always worked so hard that our children have had to fit in with our working life rather than family life but now we have a chance to put that right. I had planned on internet shopping for clothes from UK for us all but if you can give us a few pointers on good sites out there that would be excellent as most people on here seem to be happy with basics where as i can't imagine walking around in jeans and t shirt every day. Let us know where you work and we'll deffo come and try out your food :yes: can't live without it right.

Guest happychefoz
Hey nice to hear from someone who lives there already, thank you. Were you one of the chefs that took part in that competition a while ago Fine food fresh produce wasn't it?

To be honest the reason we chose Esperance is for the slower pace of life, we have always worked so hard that our children have had to fit in with our working life rather than family life but now we have a chance to put that right. I had planned on internet shopping for clothes from UK for us all but if you can give us a few pointers on good sites out there that would be excellent as most people on here seem to be happy with basics where as i can't imagine walking around in jeans and t shirt every day. Let us know where you work and we'll deffo come and try out your food :yes: can't live without it right.

Hi, You have def made the right chioce Esperance id def a slower pace of life I think thats why i love it so much !! but its great for families so you will love it !!

I didnt get a chance to get into the comp it was the middle of summer and i was still pumpin out food its a shame but there will always b next yr !! the town jumps from around 14000 ppl in winter to around the 30,000 mark in hol time (usually the 7 weeks after xmas n 3 weeks of easter hols ) so can get quite busy in town but its all fun !!

I live on the internet for shoppin its the sad part bot Esperance but hey it csnt all b prefect lol i usually buy from M&S, burtons ,River Island , TOPMAN/TOPSHOP and failing all that there is always UK ebay !!

Its starting to get into winter time out here but its nothing really i think the lowest i seen last year was 14c so its nearly like summer at home lol as for summer its really nice i went nearly 6mths 2 years a ago with NO RAIN !!! its only gets really really hot (over40c) for 2 or 3 days at a time plus the afternoon sea breeze comes in about 3pm and cools things down

when you coming out ?? am the head chef at the Pier so when you get here drop in and will try not to poison ya lol :biglaugh:

take care

tony

Guest yankee

Hey Tony, I've eaten there! I love Esperance, and trust me coming from NYC, USA originally it's a great change that I appreciate. We just stared out visa stuff, well the sponsor has, so ours is going to take a while yet *fingers crossed*. We are planning to move over in September, we will def come by.

Guest happychefoz

happy days !!! well fingers and toes crossed on the visa stuff immigration take forever !! Esperance is a great place i really couldnt thk of a bettewr place to call home

Guest evertheoptimist

Hi Tony

Thanks for replying. We are coming out early in May, some guys from over here have already arrived and there may be one or two others besides us yet so looks like you will be even busier, YEY. We will definitely come and eat there! Looks like we have similar ideas about shopping be great if All Saints opened up over there though (wishful thinking).

Incidently Topshop have just opened up in New York Yankee, unless your more of the Carrie Bradshaw type of shopper :-). Good luck on your visa bet the time flies. Let us know how you get on.

Nicky

Guest happychefoz
Hi Tony

Thanks for replying. We are coming out early in May, some guys from over here have already arrived and there may be one or two others besides us yet so looks like you will be even busier, YEY. We will definitely come and eat there! Looks like we have similar ideas about shopping be great if All Saints opened up over there though (wishful thinking).

Incidently Topshop have just opened up in New York Yankee, unless your more of the Carrie Bradshaw type of shopper :-). Good luck on your visa bet the time flies. Let us know how you get on.

Nicky

my mrs wants to move to the UK for the shops but that aint gonna happen lol !!

the more the merryier is what i say !!the town has grown since i have been here and am sure it will continue to grow !! I love it cos its got no McDonalds or traffic lights (weird but true)

Am in the middle of buying a house out here but the bank needs to know i wanna stay so that why i have to wait around on immi oh the joys but its all worth it in the end

am off back to work now to feed the hungry 100s yehaa !!:jiggy:

Guest yankee

@happychef: Thanks!!! I just can't wait to see Esperance again, it's such a lovely place! I have a questiong or you though... I've found a site online listing the broadband connections available in Esperance. I hear that's gotten a lot better since I was there (Dec2007-Jan2008), have you heard anything or know more? That would be a big help, since I will be working from my PC for my US company from there and I desperatly will need broadband access. TIA! :notworthy:

@evertheoptimist: Yep, of course they open up AFTER I am gone. Great. Grrr. If you look in the household forum, in the shopping clothes thread, I already gathered a GIANT list of links for online shopping to get my "fix" once we are down there.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/475997-post23.html

:biggrin:

Guest evertheoptimist
my mrs wants to move to the UK for the shops but that aint gonna happen lol !!

the more the merryier is what i say !!the town has grown since i have been here and am sure it will continue to grow !! I love it cos its got no McDonalds or traffic lights (weird but true)

Am in the middle of buying a house out here but the bank needs to know i wanna stay so that why i have to wait around on immi oh the joys but its all worth it in the end

am off back to work now to feed the hungry 100s yehaa !!:jiggy:

Good luck on the house purchase and enjoy your day at work. Someone mentioned to me about the lack of traffic lights, that's excellent no more hold ups. McDonalds can go jump in my opinion, that stuff is evil :no:

Guest evertheoptimist
@happychef: Thanks!!! I just can't wait to see Esperance again, it's such a lovely place! I have a questiong or you though... I've found a site online listing the broadband connections available in Esperance. I hear that's gotten a lot better since I was there (Dec2007-Jan2008), have you heard anything or know more? That would be a big help, since I will be working from my PC for my US company from there and I desperatly will need broadband access. TIA! :notworthy:

@evertheoptimist: Yep, of course they open up AFTER I am gone. Great. Grrr. If you look in the household forum, in the shopping clothes thread, I already gathered a GIANT list of links for online shopping to get my "fix" once we are down there.

@happychef: Thanks!!! I just can't wait to see Esperance again, it's such a lovely place! I have a questiong or you though... I've found a site online listing the broadband connections available in Esperance. I hear that's gotten a lot better since I was there (Dec2007-Jan2008), have you heard anything or know more? That would be a big help, since I will be working from my PC for my US company from there and I desperatly will need broadband access. TIA!

Wow! What a list, i love asos it's great when the shops don't have my size and i need something fast. I have a very small frame and only weigh about 7 stone'ish so high street usually lets me down unless we go into bigger cities. Plus it doesn't he;p that the designers/manufacturers decided to add a couple of extra inches to waist lines etc so larger people could wear smaller sizes. We are what we are big or small but hey ho.

I'm going to get ready to go shopping now:cool:my son is dying to buy new stuff for Oz. I'll be checking that list in detail tonight once babes are in bed. Thank you.

Guest yankee

evertheoptomist, my mom is built like you and she has the hardest time ever finding clothes that fit, so I feel for ya. My last post in the thread may have something perfect for you, but it's a US store.

Guest happychefoz

Thanks!!! I just can't wait to see Esperance again, it's such a lovely place! I have a questiong or you though... I've found a site online listing the broadband connections available in Esperance. I hear that's gotten a lot better since I was there (Dec2007-Jan2008), have you heard anything or know more? That would be a big help, since I will be working from my PC for my US company from there and I desperatly will need broadband access. TIA!

Hi yankee as far as i know broadband in town is pretty good up to 4kms from the post office after that you gotta relay on dial up which am sure would b a big pain but i got broadband at home ok n its pretty quiock for being in the romoteness of Espy lol:goofy:

Guest evertheoptimist
evertheoptomist, my mom is built like you and she has the hardest time ever finding clothes that fit, so I feel for ya. My last post in the thread may have something perfect for you, but it's a US store.

Hi Yankee

Still not looked at those stores ended up thrashing my husband at snooker on the Wii instead ha ha ha. Going out with frinds tonight so will have a look tomorrow night instead. Personally i don't care where in the worls clothes come from as long as they look good and fit :-). Have you heard any more about the visa yet?

Hope all goes ok.

Nicky.

Guest evertheoptimist
Thanks!!! I just can't wait to see Esperance again, it's such a lovely place! I have a questiong or you though... I've found a site online listing the broadband connections available in Esperance. I hear that's gotten a lot better since I was there (Dec2007-Jan2008), have you heard anything or know more? That would be a big help, since I will be working from my PC for my US company from there and I desperatly will need broadband access. TIA!

Hi yankee as far as i know broadband in town is pretty good up to 4kms from the post office after that you gotta relay on dial up which am sure would b a big pain but i got broadband at home ok n its pretty quiock for being in the romoteness of Espy lol:goofy:

Good to hear about the broadband, will be very useful for kids to talk to grandparents until they come out at christmas as they are very close. Looks good for you too Yankee for your business.

Have a question though Chef. How old do the kids have to be to join AFL team. Have found one in Gibson but it appears to be 10 years although unsure. My 9 year old plays rugby league and is a bit of a nutter, he's dying to have a crack at AFL bless him.

Thanks

Nicky

Archived