Insuring contents of container

val & Mike

Hi

we have recently had pickfords out to give us a quote for a 20ft container -this did not include insurance of the items which they said they could offer separately -it was extortion - I would prefer to be only covered for the big items of furniture not every single box of stuff - Do you have to use the insurance company they recommend or has anyone used other companies - has anyone taken their stuff and not insured it at all? I just think it is alot of money to fork out on top of the removal price, would be interested to hear what other people paid for insurance on a 20ft container.

thanks

val

Hi Val,

We never insured ours, not because we didnt want to but we just ran out of time. Like you we thought the quote from the shippers was really high so we were going to get other quotes but just didnt get round to it.

We had a 20ft container plus another 80 boxes in a shared container which both arrived safely and passed quarentine without a hitch.

We used Crown btw.

At the end of the day its a risk we took, but really the stuff that matters (photos, etc) cant be replaced anyway no matter how much insurance you have.

Sam x

Hi Sam

thanks for that - i suppose it is a risk but i am not really bothered if a few things went missing or got broke but obviously if the whole ship went down and we lost everything then i wouldnt be happy (how many times does that happen?) I might look into getting cover just for the bigger items but like you say the personal items are irreplaceable anyway.

thanks for your reply

val x

Guest evertheoptimist

Hi Val

We will be going with Pickfords as they quoted removals at lowest price plus the percentge for insurance was also the lowest. Not to mention the fact that have an actual office in the town we are moving to. We will only be insuring t.v. etc so am quite happy that the price will be ok.

Hope this helps

Isn't the insurance a standardised figure? From memory isn't it 0.5% of the containers worth is the insurance premium??

Hi Val

We will be going with Pickfords as they quoted removals at lowest price plus the percentge for insurance was also the lowest. Not to mention the fact that have an actual office in the town we are moving to. We will only be insuring t.v. etc so am quite happy that the price will be ok.

Hope this helps

Hi there - thanks for that - i think maybe we need to get a quote for insuring just the bigger items like you, I had only got price for insuring the whole container and there was a minimum amount per cubic foot that you could insure which made it alot of money!!

thanks val

Guest 8788jt

Hi

We used Pickfords and were very happy with them and the service received. When they found out that I had 2 other companies around to quote, they reduced the price initially quoted.

I have heard about people not taking out insurance but we decided that as we are really unlucky, we could almost guarantee that if we didn't take it then the boat would sink!!

In the end, the only thing broken was a cheap glass vase from Ikea and we had a full container.

Good luck - Joanne

Guest prettyinpink

Hiya Val, we used Pickfords and did take out the insurance. I believe Tim is correct, that it is a percentage. We had no problems and nothing arrived broken. However, it's a personal choice - good luck with whatever you decide.

Try Letton Percival for marine insurance. Crown wanted 3% of the total value as the premium and wouldn't budge on that, where Letton Percival only wanted 1.5% for the same cover plus mould and mildew cover. Really easy to deal with to arrange it all (unlike Crown who we have had wranglings over the price with and would not recommend).

Hi Sam

thanks for that - i suppose it is a risk but i am not really bothered if a few things went missing or got broke but obviously if the whole ship went down and we lost everything then i wouldnt be happy (how many times does that happen?) I might look into getting cover just for the bigger items but like you say the personal items are irreplaceable anyway.

thanks for your reply

val x

Yud be surprised how many cotainers now sleep with the fishes

Archived