Suburd advice for non driver

pez2008

Hi all. Could any one give any advice for someone looking for work in the glass+glazing trade but is a non driver.The wife drives but eventually Sarn (wife) will want to work and not chauffer.I will learn to drive in Oz but this will take time.

All/any advice would be great. Cheers Pez.

Guest just jo

Really I can't think of anywhere but close to the City. My brother is a manager for a windscreen glazier O'Briens (Autoglass) He has someone on site and the rest of the boys go out in vans. Clarksons are a glazier but again, they are mostly mobile. I couldn't even suggest being close to the City because you would still need someone to pick you up and Adelaide is such a large sprawl of suburbs. Most houses being built have the windows fitted with the glazing already in the frames.

I would google glaziers and try and email a few to see if they have on site workers. Perhaps you can give me a bit more info on what you do presently and I can have a talk to my brother to see what he suggests.

With regard to driving, you'll have to undertake a written test to get you P plates and then I think its 50 hours of driving with a qualified driver before you can take your test. Your wife however can drive on her UK licence for 3 months and then simply transfer her licence to a South Australian one at the Registration Office.

Jo

Really I can't think of anywhere but close to the City. My brother is a manager for a windscreen glazier O'Briens (Autoglass) He has someone on site and the rest of the boys go out in vans. Clarksons are a glazier but again, they are mostly mobile. I couldn't even suggest being close to the City because you would still need someone to pick you up and Adelaide is such a large sprawl of suburbs. Most houses being built have the windows fitted with the glazing already in the frames.

I would google glaziers and try and email a few to see if they have on site workers. Perhaps you can give me a bit more info on what you do presently and I can have a talk to my brother to see what he suggests.

With regard to driving, you'll have to undertake a written test to get you P plates and then I think its 50 hours of driving with a qualified driver before you can take your test. Your wife however can drive on her UK licence for 3 months and then simply transfer her licence to a South Australian one at the Registration Office.

Jo

Hi. I have always been factory based, and i am glasscutter by trade cutting anything from 2mm upto 25mm.Although glasscutting is my main job i can also do edgeworking sealed unit making and a bit of glazing etc. Thanks for your time and help. Pez.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all. Could any one give any advice for someone looking for work in the glass+glazing trade but is a non driver.The wife drives but eventually Sarn (wife) will want to work and not chauffer.I will learn to drive in Oz but this will take time.

All/any advice would be great. Cheers Pez.

Hi Pez

My husband used to do exactly the same sort of glass work. He worked for CHEVRON GLASS, and was factory based.

Here is their website

Chevron Glass On-Line

There are contact details on there you could use to find out more.

Make it a priority to get your driving licence asap, as you definitely need one in Adelaide as it is so massive.

Hope this helps a bit. Good Luck :wink:

Guest just jo

Hi Pez

Melrose Park is very nice, Its close to the City and the schools are all good. This is what Wikipedia has to say about it.

Melrose Park, South Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here is the website for the council, you can find lots of information about the area there

City of Mitcham - Welcome - Latest News and Quick Find

Rentals are not too expensive, I found these on realestate.com.au

117 AYERS AVENUE MELROSE PARK

8/22 WHEATON ROAD MELROSE PARK

I've had a word with my brother and he seems to think you could get a position at either Mawson Lakes or Croydon.They have on site staff cutting glass for the fitters all day. I'd take Mawson lakes any day, its a modern new suburb with great public transport links to the City.

Here is the community website for Mawson Lakes

Mawson Lakes Community Website - Homepage

rentals

11 BRIMPTON AVENUE MAWSON LAKES

1/60-64 HINDMARSH CIRCUIT MAWSON LAKES

Just an idea of whats available.

Jo

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i dont know if u know but u can check on google maps the bus route. if u zoom in close enough. then you can check the metro website to see how frequent the buses are. i have to say i dont drive and i really struggle sometimes as some buses only go 1-2 per hour. u have to time everything u do, its a bit of a pain. i woul say most suburbs around the city. melrose park area is nice, around belair road and unley road. good luck.

Archived