electrical stuff

johnd

what works in oz???

1- xbox 360?

2- playstation 2?

3- sanyo tv,(2 years old 28", only cost £275 new), worth taking, will it work?

4- cheap dvd player?

5- cheap digi box?

6- decent sanyo stereo system,(although 6 years old)?

7- older electrical stuff,ie: old colour portable tv + small cd player.

8- fridge

I know you have to weigh up what's worth taking against room in the container + the cost of replacing at the other end, but it looks like we will have to have two 'cartons', (a type of container), even though we de-cluttered enough to try for just one. but if we have to have two we may as well fill it.

any info would be good.

johnd.

Guest alanmac

Hi Johnd,

Australia has the same voltage as the UK so all your stuff will work in some degree. Xbox360 will work but Oz is region 4 for DVD's and UK is region 2 so you will not be able to play Oz games/DVD's this is the same for playstation. TV's will work but will not recieve Oz TV without the use of an OZ set top box. Digi box will not work as OZ TV is briadcast on a different frequency. Fridge should be OK but they have different rules about effiency ratings (I'am reading up on this at the moment so will let you know if I get anymore info). Stereo's etc will work no problem. If taking playstation I would advise taking a portable TV if you have one as it will still work for this the same as in the UK

Hope this helps

Alanmac. (Sparky hence intrest in all things electrical!)

Guest Marie and Paul
Hi Johnd,

Australia has the same voltage as the UK so all your stuff will work in some degree. Xbox360 will work but Oz is region 4 for DVD's and UK is region 2 so you will not be able to play Oz games/DVD's this is the same for playstation. TV's will work but will not recieve Oz TV without the use of an OZ set top box. Digi box will not work as OZ TV is briadcast on a different frequency. Fridge should be OK but they have different rules about effiency ratings (I'am reading up on this at the moment so will let you know if I get anymore info). Stereo's etc will work no problem. If taking playstation I would advise taking a portable TV if you have one as it will still work for this the same as in the UK

Hope this helps

Wont the games work as they are not region coded, I know that DVDs will not work but fortunately we brought a multi-region. Fridges these have to be CFC free (something to do with the gas used ??) we went into Comet/Currys to see about buying a large american fridge as they are cheaper here and were told that they do comply but when comparing the price and wondering if it will get there in one piece have decided to get one there. Everything else we are taking. A week to go until the removals arrives. Can't wait.

Guest alanmac

Hi, yes sorry games will work no problem (I have emailed my brother he lives in Melbourne)his son has played UK games on an OZ playstation 2 so it should work the other way around no problem. As to fridges we will probable take ours and see what happens.

Hi Johnd,

As alanmac said the tvs etc will work ok, ust to let you know that

our mobile works here with a oz sim in then out of 3 we only had to get one unlocked (which we done in oz for $10) also our landline cordless phones and answer phone work here too along with every other electrical item that you can imagine we brought with us and all work fine. For fridges/ fridge freezer have a look at the links below, there are so many to choose from our fridge is so big we can get in side it oursleves !!! (but the freezer part then tend to be rather small- perhaps becuase the aussies buy everything fresh)

http://www.binglee.com.au/

http://www.domayne.com.au/

Guest kimdownie

Hey guys,

I dont know about tv's and play stations, but i do have some knowledge of fridges and freezers being married to an engineer!!!!

Many of our fridges and freezers are not able to cope with high air temperatures, (above 32 degrees), so just be carefull if you are going to buy one that it is compatable with high temperature climates as we cant take our big american F/F, it struggled to cope with high temperatures in uk last summer let alone in oz. Fridge freezers designed for the uk are not suitable for hotter countries.

hope this helps

Kim

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Arran&Bev
Hi Johnd,

Hope this helps

hi all does any body know if the uk 360 work on the aus tvs and is there any way to convert dvds on to a home entertainment system (hard drive) to work in thet region

We had to buy a digi box for our TV to work - but it works just fine. All electrical goods are working fine - just changed the plugs over (plugs are really cheap at bunnings)

My son has an X-Box and it works fine

Guest Fat Boy Fat

Bring a few UK 4 way leads, then just change the plug top on them. Some of the kids UK Toys, chargers for phones and cameras and lots of other things have the transformer / controller form the plug top. This is safer and easier than them travel plugs.

Archived