Mature Age Student choices.

Guest Clare Robinson

Guest Clare Robinson

Hi, go easy on me I am a pomsinOz Virgin!! We are in the middle of applying for my husbands AQF111 as he is a wall and floor tiler, which will then hopefully enable us to get our visa application completed and moved forward. However, whilst my husband has been in his trade for 20 years, I, after having children and wanting to change my career have decided I would love to go back to school and get some qualifications to enable me to be a teacher (primary school). I have no A levels or existing degrees and do not really know where to start. I have spoken to The Emigration Group who are dealing with our Application who have advised me that I will need a batchelors which takes 4 years. This is fine, but I still have not got a clue where to go to find out info or find which is the best place to go. We are hoping to move to somewhere around Adelaide probably south of near Happy Valley Way? Of course I have not sorted the children's schools or anything yet and seem fairly confident about enrolling them, it's just I know nothing about exams past GCSE level, or education past secondary school. Is there anyone out there that could give me a little advice or point me in the right direction on how to find a good adult education Uni that provides a good teaching traning course/qualifications that I need to move forward.

That said, once that is completed, how easy is it to get a job teaching in a primary school? What is the salary like and obviously the hours, as I still want to be able to be there for my children? Any advise given would be absolutely fantastic. Many thanks in anticipation:twitcy:

Basic answers to your question here myfuture :: State Occupation Information - Teacher - Primary

If you have no educational qualifications then most unis have a mature age entry process you can take which means that you dont necessarily have to go back and do "school" examinations, you can google the requirements for whichever uni you decide to apply for.

The job situation is going to be different in 4 years - many teachers are now approaching retirement age and they predict a huge shortfall in the next 5 - 10 years so you may be lucky on the job front.

Good luck!

Guest Clare Robinson

Thanks very much I will have a look. I do have GCSE's but then left as I did not really know what I wanted to do. I have been a very successful Bank Manager and am currently running my own business as an Interior Designer. I am clever but just had no direction when I was younger I just wanted to enjoy myself (which I did), but things change and it is time to grow up and settle down and concentrate on a new start and have always wanted to do go into teaching and now is the time with a big change imminent. If there is anyone that has been in a similar situation please let me know your thoughts on Unis (ie which was good for you). It is really daunting, but want to be happy with where I decide to go as it is four years!!

Archived