Kindergarten and pre-school in Canberra

Guest HouseDad

Guest HouseDad

Hi all

I'm feeling very relieved to find this site as it seems that many of the answers to our questions are here somewhere...One that's not obvious to me straight away is where the good early years care/schools are in Canberra.

We're moving out at the start of April with two little girls - a 20 month old, and one who is nearly 4 (as she often reminds us). My wife is the one with the job and they will put us up in an apartment until our freight arrives. So we have probably a couple of months to look at areas to live. We are keen on the idea of being close to her work (walking distance if possible, if not then a short cycle) in Civic, if we can find an affordable rental property.

Any tips on where to start looking, either specific kindergartens, playschemes, nurseries, childminders or good listing sites? I've heard good childcare is at a premium in central Canberra. We are open to all sorts of options - we currently do a nanny share with another family in Bristol....Despite my forum name I expect I will start working if/when we find good childcare but there's no immediate rush. I'm looking forward to having some time with them first.

Any tips on schools/areas would be very welcome - I think school/childcare will be right at the top of the list when we choose where to live...

(Apologies now for cross-posting as I will put something very similar on ACT thread..)

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

Can't help on Canberra sorry, but wanted to welcome you to PIO. If you find Quoll she should be able to help with schools in the area.

Kate

Guest ClaireF

Can't help with Canberra specifically but searching online may help (see Canberra Kids - Childcare Centres & Family Daycare). Is difficult without actually visiting the places to see what they're like but you may at least find out where there is availabile & what ages they take.

Not sure what the eligibility is for your visa type but the federal govt child care rebate (is income tested but helps reduce cost of daycare by up to 50%) apparently only applies to daycare centre costs. Childminders are called something like family daycare here.

Unfortunately with Canberra being very much a two income town child care places are like hens teeth. My favourite used to be the Canberra TAFE child care centre but you pretty much have to be a staff member or student to get in there. Similarly with the ANU creche they will give preference to staff and students. I have visited Christopher Robin in my time and it always appeared quite good to me and we had kids at our school from Nipperville and parents were generally OK with it. There used to be quite a bit of Family Day Care in the area but I have no idea whether there still is now or not.

Your older daughter will be eligible for preschool when she is 4 or has turned 4 before 30 April. The preschools are all fine in that area.

Inner North suburbs are also quite well provided with public transport as well as bike paths so getting into Civic is quite easy and at $7.50 - $10 per day for parking the public transport works out cheaper. The pick of the schools in that area for mine are Ainslie (the one closest to Civic) and Majura (Watson, Downer, Hackett).

Real Estate & Homes for Sale, Rent and Share | allhomes is the best website for Canberra real estate sales and rentals

Archived