What would you love to see in Oz?

UKtoOZ

One thing I have noticed is that baby/children clothes is VERY expensive here. If you could get a franchise for NEXT or H&M you'd be laughing! Not sure they do that though, but that's the sort of thing I'd look into. Just a thought - keep us updated :spinny:

What are you talking about Target & Kmart have brilliant (especially Target) baby and kids clothes!! They are basically our versions of Next / H&M - and then Myer / Grace Bros is like our Debenhams - just wondering - do any of you guys actually convert back to what it is in pounds? Or just look at the actual number amount and see it as the same thing? :rolleyes:

I'm English. I've been in Sydney 6 months and travelled to all the Aussie cities with work.

I LOVE UK fish and chips. But that's where it belongs, in the UK.

All you get in UK chippies is cod, plaice, rock. Here in Oz, there are about 10 different fish, and that's before you hit the shell fish.

There are two huge misconceptions that Brits have when sitting at home planning the move...

1. Australia isn't years' behind. The cities are bang on. When you move out to rural or beach areas it's just a different pace of life. I work in advertising, we're not using pencils, we've got all the top gear, all the latest software etc. My friends work in different industries and they report the same.

2. The food is not rubbish. The biggest eye opener for us and most friends we have met, is the sheer quality of the food, the choice that you get. I reckon it's similar to UK prices, but the choice, quantity and quality are miles ahead of the UK. Before leaving the UK, going out for meals was so hit and miss - and we eat in decent restaurants. Here, you can go to a crappy little cafe and get top notch food and the best coffee.

i'm sorry, opening a chippy's a naff idea!!!

Surely if you want a successful business it's got to be something that Australians will by into, that's where the money is.

Something i haven't seen is a mobile wheelie bin cleaner. You know, turns up with his truck, chucks the wheely bin on the back and blasts it with a jet wash.

Actually, someone's previous post about some kind of womens groups/parties is a damn good idea. Blokes definitely find it easier. They know they'll get a beer here and there with work people or people from sport activities. Women need a different friendship, a tighter bond a sense of belonging. God knows how you'd make it work though.

Guest 0405delboy
I'm English. I've been in Sydney 6 months and travelled to all the Aussie cities with work.

I LOVE UK fish and chips. But that's where it belongs, in the UK.

All you get in UK chippies is cod, plaice, rock. Here in Oz, there are about 10 different fish, and that's before you hit the shell fish.

There are two huge misconceptions that Brits have when sitting at home planning the move...

1. Australia isn't years' behind. The cities are bang on. When you move out to rural or beach areas it's just a different pace of life. I work in advertising, we're not using pencils, we've got all the top gear, all the latest software etc. My friends work in different industries and they report the same.

2. The food is not rubbish. The biggest eye opener for us and most friends we have met, is the sheer quality of the food, the choice that you get. I reckon it's similar to UK prices, but the choice, quantity and quality are miles ahead of the UK. Before leaving the UK, going out for meals was so hit and miss - and we eat in decent restaurants. Here, you can go to a crappy little cafe and get top notch food and the best coffee.

i'm sorry, opening a chippy's a naff idea!!!

Surely if you want a successful business it's got to be something that Australians will by into, that's where the money is.

Something i haven't seen is a mobile wheelie bin cleaner. You know, turns up with his truck, chucks the wheely bin on the back and blasts it with a jet wash.

Actually, someone's previous post about some kind of womens groups/parties is a damn good idea. Blokes definitely find it easier. They know they'll get a beer here and there with work people or people from sport activities. Women need a different friendship, a tighter bond a sense of belonging. God knows how you'd make it work though.

Washing everyones wheelie bins in a drought??? I'd like to see that!!!!! :biglaugh:

Nigel,

Harry Ramsden's was if I remember pretty expensive for what it was, I think that is why it didn't work well, and also the position it was in I think could have been better.

I had some nice fish n chips in Scotland, Aberdeen, not so long ago, gee they were to die for.....................................

Washing everyones wheelie bins in a drought??? I'd like to see that!!!!! :biglaugh:

yeah I worked at a car dealership and we weren't even allowed to wash our cars or the cars that came in for service - oh how the customers complained!!! :realmad:

To the OP - hand car washes though do seem to do well, especially in the drought as people can't wash their cars at home and you can get a permit to / or use recycled water - maybe that's something you could look at? And most of them do serve caf type food so people can eat while they wait - thus you could incorporate your chippy idea!!

Guest jam jar
What are you talking about Target & Kmart have brilliant (especially Target) baby and kids clothes!! They are basically our versions of Next / H&M - and then Myer / Grace Bros is like our Debenhams - just wondering - do any of you guys actually convert back to what it is in pounds? Or just look at the actual number amount and see it as the same thing? :rolleyes:

no theyre not, and yeh' we do convert it back to £'s, but still dont want to pay it, as theyre such poor quality, childrens clothes are bad enough but the baby clothes are just dire!!!

give me, H&M, next and asda any day.

no theyre not, and yeh' we do convert it back to £'s, but still dont want to pay it, as theyre such poor quality, childrens clothes are bad enough but the baby clothes are just dire!!!

You can have em, give me Myer, Target, Ozmosis any day!!!

Anything you want me to bring over for you while I'm here? :tongue:

Was just wondering as have read in other threads people saying how bread for example is ridiculously expensive coz it's $3-4 a loaf, whereas over here a loaf is £1.50-3 - so converted is about the same!! :err:

Guest 0405delboy

I thought it was just my imagination when I noted t-shirts hanging on the line were getting wider than they are long. :wacko:

Guest jam jar

they are really poor quality, dont even get me started on the school uniforms, $30 for a polo shirt, thats gone wide and bobbly already, and only had it 1 term!!

smc01,

thanks, but got my mum arriving in 4 weeks with cases full of TKmaxx and asda.

sorry but dont think you can get kids (leather) shoes, and designer bras (from TKmaxx) over here for £2 ($5) a pair, ive got the price tags to prove it!!

I thought it was just my imagination when I noted t-shirts hanging on the line were getting wider than they are long. :wacko:

No, that's just all the delicious Aussie takeaways you've been having.......:laugh:

smc01,

sorry but dont think you can get kids (leather) shoes, and designer bras (from TKmaxx) over here for £2 ($5) a pair, ive got the price tags to prove it!!

TKMaxx is a different story altogether, I'm going to have withdrawals!!!

You need to find out where the factory outlets are, as that's where bargains are to be had - like in Richmond, Fitzroy in Melbs and Torquay in Vic - I remember getting a load of Bras & Things underwear for dirt cheap!! :yes:

they are really poor quality, dont even get me started on the school uniforms, $30 for a polo shirt, thats gone wide and bobbly already, and only had it 1 term!!

smc01,

My old mate was a manager at tk mAXX , he could not believe the tat he had to put on the shelves ,mostly seconds and ex store sales stuff they could not flog, he knew his stuff as he worked the department stores and down the smoke too. Knew his clothes as he was on the other bus as it were

mally

Guest jam jar
My old mate was a manager at tk mAXX , he could not believe the tat he had to put on the shelves ,mostly seconds and ex store sales stuff they could not flog, he knew his stuff as he worked the department stores and down the smoke too. Knew his clothes as he was on the other bus as it were

mally

well cheap tat's fine with me, whereas in australia, its expensive tat.

Was just wondering as have read in other threads people saying how bread for example is ridiculously expensive coz it's $3-4 a loaf, whereas over here a loaf is £1.50-3 - so converted is about the same!! :err:

Yeah, but the quality of bread in Australia is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better! YOu guys desperately need a Bakers Delight in the UK.....now that's a business idea!

And we do have wheelie bin cleaners over here too. My mother used to have hers cleaned...i think you have to pay for it though, $5 every 2 weeks or month or soemthing....in saying that, no one's ever offered to clean my bin....Of course, i'm not sure i'd pay when i can just squirt it with the hose for free!

Good to see this is generating some interest. When I heard of car washes using water reclamation systems it got me interested, in the systems not the car washes.

Has anyone heard of any domestic water reclamation systems, I have done a little bit of digging already and can't find much info. I reckon this could be the next big thing if an affordable solution can be found, if Victoria has a target of reducing water usage by 20%, then homes are going to have to do their bit, as well as government offices and industry.

Guest proud2beaussie
Good to see this is generating some interest. When I heard of car washes using water reclamation systems it got me interested, in the systems not the car washes.

Has anyone heard of any domestic water reclamation systems, I have done a little bit of digging already and can't find much info. I reckon this could be the next big thing if an affordable solution can be found, if Victoria has a target of reducing water usage by 20%, then homes are going to have to do their bit, as well as government offices and industry.

There is some information here:

Grey water - recycling water at home - Better Health Channel.

and hereL:

eco-Care Grey Water Recycling System- Australia.

Yeah, but the quality of bread in Australia is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better! YOu guys desperately need a Bakers Delight in the UK.....now that's a business idea!

And we do have wheelie bin cleaners over here too. My mother used to have hers cleaned...i think you have to pay for it though, $5 every 2 weeks or month or soemthing....in saying that, no one's ever offered to clean my bin....Of course, i'm not sure i'd pay when i can just squirt it with the hose for free!

Oh god yeah what i would give for a Cheesymite!!! And some fresh tiger bread, or a garlic and herb pull-apart.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm...........:v_SPIN:

Thanks for that. Is it a much talked about idea over there? I'd imagine with the drought conditions it should be something seriously considered, especially if you get rebates on your water bills.

On another note, there doesn't seem to be any Rodizio restaurants that I can find online in Melbourne.

They are a Brazilian concept, everything is cooked on a big barbie, and the waiters come round with big swords, on which there may be 5 or more different meat joints, and they carve at the table. It's all you can eat too, which is a bonus!

My dad ran one for a while in Scotland, in fact it was the first one here. I really like the idea, although the wife thinks that anything cooked on a barbie in Oz won't be that interesting seeing as barbies are so common in Oz.

Is she right?

Guest 0405delboy
Thanks for that. Is it a much talked about idea over there? I'd imagine with the drought conditions it should be something seriously considered, especially if you get rebates on your water bills.

On another note, there doesn't seem to be any Rodizio restaurants that I can find online in Melbourne.

They are a Brazilian concept, everything is cooked on a big barbie, and the waiters come round with big swords, on which there may be 5 or more different meat joints, and they carve at the table. It's all you can eat too, which is a bonus!

My dad ran one for a while in Scotland, in fact it was the first one here. I really like the idea, although the wife thinks that anything cooked on a barbie in Oz won't be that interesting seeing as barbies are so common in Oz.

Is she right?

Ive got a big sword! Dont get much meat on the end of it these days though.....let alone 5 varieties. Its still all you can eat though - BONUS!

:biggrin::yes:

Guest spottymercedes
Ive got a big sword! Dont get much meat on the end of it these days though.....let alone 5 varieties. Its still all you can eat though - BONUS!

:biggrin:

Very good! Made me chuckle!!!:biglaugh:

Guest spottymercedes

I have a few ideas for a business in Melbourne, but unfortunately am not going to share them with you all as I need to get them going for myself!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marje
What are you talking about Target & Kmart have brilliant (especially Target) baby and kids clothes!! They are basically our versions of Next / H&M - and then Myer / Grace Bros is like our Debenhams - just wondering - do any of you guys actually convert back to what it is in pounds? Or just look at the actual number amount and see it as the same thing?

Yo

I buy lots of kids' clothes in KMart & Big W and yes it's good, but it doesn't last nearly as long as say stuff from Next, plus the finish off the clothes is shocking sometimes (even for the expensive stuff!), so that's what (in my opinion) makes the difference out here, if you want that better quality it is quite expensive and yes I do know that the prices are listed in A$ and not £s! :yes:

Archived