Commuting to CBD from Mount Martha?

Guest mbriody

Guest mbriody

My wife and I are coming out next month. She has a job in the CBD and I hope to work there too. We are looking at rentals on the Mornington Peninsula. The ones closer to CBD are in general expensive and small. By contrast there are some superb properties in Mornington, Mount Martha and Mount Eliza.

We are just wondering how practical the commute is. I know we would have to get to Frankston if we went by train. My wife will be working shifts and is concerned about travelling home late at night.

I currently commute into London and am used to 2 hours each way. We were hoping to get away from this kind of thing but some of the Mount Martha properties in particular look stunning.

Anyone got first hand experience of the commute?

Guest treesea

Best is to drive to Frankston and take the train. I wouldn't recommend driving all the way in though - the drive in from Mt Martha to the CBD in morning rush hour is a shocker. If you decide to live closer but want a bit of an oasis free of the city, then on the bayside, Sandringham is a lovely place to live. Away from the bay, Canterbury, Balwyn and Camberwell are all pretty nice. Kew, much close to the city, is really nice too.

Personally I would not commute to the city from Mount Martha. Its a long way and doing it in peak hour not much fun.

My friend who lives here in Somerville drives to Port Melbourne every day and she leaves at about 6.20 am in the morning and she gets home around six. Its a long day and Somerville is closer and easier to get to Frankston for the train. She drives because to take public transport for her would be a lot longer.

When I lived in Edithvale I worked in the CBD and it was far enough from there. Problem with living further up the line is the trains are packed from Frankston and no seats after Seaford.

I guess you just have to try it if you want to live in Mount Martha but you will not be home much if its five days a week.

Have you considered the western suburbs of Point Cook or Sanctuary Lakes etc they are closer to the city and its not such a long commute.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

There are lots of jobs available in the SE and this is great if you are living in Mt Martha, however, I think the commute from Mt Martha to the CBD would be pushing it. You could consider Mt Eliza it is closer to Frankston from the train station (around 6km/10 minutes away) You will get a lot more house and land for your money on the peninsula compared to property closer to the CBD. However, property is in demand down there due to a high percentage of Brits moving in and buying property outright which in turn is keeping the prices high.

We have lots of clients who choose Mornington but most of them have jobs around the South East.

I presume when you arrive you are thinking of taking out a 12 month tenancy, so you could maybe try it for 12 month and if you are struggling with the commute then look elsewhere.

Good luck with the move and I hope you enjoy your new life down under.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kate Edwards

Hi Both,

Living in Mount Martha is Fantastic compared to closer to the City - we moved here 8 weeks ago, have bought a house and Hubby works in CBD. He says commute is decent enough but would put up with it just to be living where we are. The toll can get you down a bit and parking costs - he has this week and last driven to frankston and got the train in - he leaves early but is not stuck in traffic tends to take hr from fliders station to frankston then traffic dependant 15- 20 mins to Mount Martha. Mount Elize is that bit closer to Frankston and will prob save you 10 mins if not a bit more. There are plenty of Nursing jobs advertised each week in the local paper based at Frankston or Rosebud or The Bays private hospital in Mornington - will she have to work in city? all place mentiond are 10 - 15 mins from Mount Martha. My hubby has been here 5 months and is glad we did not move closer to the city - but we love the open ness and sea life! When you get here you will see, drive out of the city and all the areas roll into one carrum, frankston, aspendale etc, all quite built up and on the railway line then as soon as you leave Frankston thre are plenty of trees, sea views open space!!!

Hope this helps - any more info needed let me know. Good luck

K x

Guest mbriody

Thanks Kate that's very helpful.

My wife is actually in the air right now somewhere between Hong Kong and Melbourne!

She already has the job and associated visa and is tied to it in CBD for the moment.

What sort of time does your husband have to leave to make the commute by train?

Guest Kate Edwards

Hi,

He sometimes gets the 7.10am train so he leaves the house just after 6.30am but to be honest the train runs very frequently from what I can make out - it is the parking but saying that he has slept in a few times and still manages to get into work well before most!!! Where are you working - do you have job lined up? Alex is right opposite Flinders station so train is handy for him - he is a IT test manager so needs to be in the city really! But it depends where the client base is next few months he may be nearer to home or further out of Melbourne so he was going to have to travel where ever we lived!

K x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mbriody

Hi Kate,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have a million things to sort out here!

My wife has arrived safely and has sorted out bank, tax number, visa, phones and is on the case with rental accommodation and a school for my son.

That commute would be worth it for me but my wife isn't too keen. We've decided to compromise and go with something a little closer to the CBD (Brighton or Hampton) but of course it will be smaller and more expensive. We'll look at things again in 6 months.

Interesting that hubby is a Test Manager - so am I!

I'm currently half way through a contract with UK High Street supermarket but I usually work in banking and finance. As soon as this contract finishes I'll be on the plane.

I presume you are both resident and that hubby's job is permanent? I will be looking for a contract, at least initially. I'd be grateful for any leads.

Guest zoensim

hi, we moved to mount martha/mornington about 6 weeks ago. my oh works very close to cbd on St Kilda Road. We are seriously thinking of getting out of the lease to move somewhere closer mainly because of the commute. He started off using public transport before we had bought cars and was not getting in until 8 pm, (finished work at 5.30). We now have a car and he drives to somwhere near elwood i believe parks the car and then gets a tram. He sets off at about 7.30 to get to work at 9.30 and then now is getting home about 7.15 at night. We did look at places like Cheltenham and Brighton also but found that the same price houses were tiny compared to here for the same money. With hindsight we should have gone for the smaller option but hey ho.

Its down to personal choice ultimately but for us I think we will definately move closer to cbd when this lease is over if not before.

I actually think its a good idea to try the commute out by staying in an area you are interested in and seeing what its like. The one who has to do the commute could stay in a motel or with a work mate and try it out. That way you get to know exactly what its like.

As I said before I would not commute five days a week to the city from here in Somerville and its easier to get to the freeway from here than Mornington Mount Martha. \

In my opinion need to work Moorabbin, Clayton, Dandenong being the furthest commute for me.

West is closer but the problem is everyone is moving there because of the prices, the houses and the proximity to the city hence the widening of the Westgate Bridge.

I lived in Edithvale and commuted to the city and it was ok, houses are older there though. Problem further up the line is getting on the train in peak hour probably would not be able to get on the express ones only the stop all stations.

My daughter works in Docklands two days a week and I drop her at Frankston Station at 8.20 and she gets back to Frankston Station at about 5.40 pm. So we are back here in Somerville at 6pm

Guest mbriody

Well my wife just signed a lease for a house in Sandringham which is much more practical but is obviously a compromise. We'll give it a year and decide what to do then.

Archived