I'm in pieces!

Guest nikkichap

Guest nikkichap

After many conversations, lots of thinking and rivers of tears I have finally decided to move back to the UK with my two boys.:sad:. I have been so unhappy and just so lonely that I know it's the right move. My hubby actually made me face upto making the decision after a few emotional days. I am so sad that it has come to this but feel for the sake of our family future happimess it has to be done. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders but at the same time I am in pieces. I'm planning on returning in May. Hubby will be joining us as soon as he can pay back his company for the relocation costs. Hopefully we will be together by the end of the year. My boys are glad to be going home and my hubby is happy to return as soon as he can. it's just a shame we are not all leaving together. I'm going to miss OH so much :hug: .

Nikki

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Nikki

I am sorry that things didn't work out for you, but hey you tried and had a great holiday in the process.

It sounds like you are all going to be happier especially when your OH finally gets back home.

Good luck for the future.

Kate

Guest proud2beaussie

Fully agree with Kate,You had a go,and like many others who have tried Australia just wasn't for you,you've obviously thought long and hard about it and made the decision to return to the UK,

it's a shame but you must do what makes you happy and what you think is in the best interests of yourself and your family.

good luck for the future.

N'OZ

Guest lovediving

I know you feel bad now but you wont once you get home. I am sorry to hear how upset you are but am also happy for you that you have made the decision to go home. It is not a failure it is an experience in life that you have had and it just was not for you.

Good luck with everything x

After many conversations, lots of thinking and rivers of tears I have finally decided to move back to the UK with my two boys.:sad:. I have been so unhappy and just so lonely that I know it's the right move. My hubby actually made me face upto making the decision after a few emotional days. I am so sad that it has come to this but feel for the sake of our family future happimess it has to be done. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders but at the same time I am in pieces. I'm planning on returning in May. Hubby will be joining us as soon as he can pay back his company for the relocation costs. Hopefully we will be together by the end of the year. My boys are glad to be going home and my hubby is happy to return as soon as he can. it's just a shame we are not all leaving together. I'm going to miss OH so much :hug: .

Nikki

Guest donovan

Hiya Nikki

Sad to see you have not settled, but at least you gave it ago, good luck for the future & ;ets hope hubby is no too far behind

Sarah x

Nikki

Hi Nikki

I am hoping to return to the UK soon, I'm on a 457 visa and would also have to repay the relocation costs. Did you come out on the same visa?

Daz

Sorry to hear that it doesnt seem to be working out for you Nikki. I think you may have had a very lucky escape actually. Sometimes you can keep on trying, all the time knowing in your bones that it isnt the right place and you get past that point of no return. The time will fly by until your DH gets to be home with you. All the best for your move home :hug:

Guest nikkichap
Hi Nikki

I am hoping to return to the UK soon, I'm on a 457 visa and would also have to repay the relocation costs. Did you come out on the same visa?

Daz

Hi Daz, Yes we came over on a 457 visa. Hubby needs to pay 50% of the relocation costs after being in the job for 1 year it amounts to about $10,000. Money well spent! :spinny:

Hi Daz, Yes we came over on a 457 visa. Hubby needs to pay 50% of the relocation costs after being in the job for 1 year it amounts to about $10,000. Money well spent! :spinny:

Hi Nikki

Gosh, thats a lot. What was included in the relocation, did they pay for your furniture to come over? My company only paid for my visa and a flight for me, so I hope my costs won`t be as much, the company have said if I stay for a year I only have to pay 50% of the costs back, but I don`t think I can last that long.

daz

Guest nikkichap
Hi Nikki

Gosh, thats a lot. What was included in the relocation, did they pay for your furniture to come over? My company only paid for my visa and a flight for me, so I hope my costs won`t be as much, the company have said if I stay for a year I only have to pay 50% of the costs back, but I don`t think I can last that long.

daz

Daz, I know how you feel, I want to go now. In fact my flights have been booked today. I leave on 8th May. I feel so releived but also **** scared. :shocked: My OH's compnay did pay for the furniture to be shipped, flights and visa. That's why its costing that much to pay back. But on top of that we have to ship our stuff back so thats more costs. It's a nightmare but with me being back in the UK and staying at my MIL we can save quite a bit. The tenants in my house can stay there until we are ready to move in when OH returns. It will all turn good in the end.

Guest kazmatt

Nikki

i understand totally as we are off home in 4 weeks, good luck to you.

Guest nikkichap
i understand totally as we are off home in 4 weeks, good luck to you.

Good luck with your move. Hope everything goes smoothly.:v_SPIN:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nikki

Not posted on here for a long time but felt the need to reply to your post. We are also in Mackay and are returning home in April for some of the reasons you have stated. I have read your posts and can certainly see where you are coming from.

We (husband and me) have been here since June 2008 on 457. Finding it difficult to settle, missing family and OH finding it difficult to find work in his trade - plumbing & heating without basically jumping through hoops and starting from scratch (he has been in the trade for over 20 years).

No regrets in having given it a go though life will be all the more richer in the long run from the experiences gained here I am sure. Just can`t wait to get home.

Good luck on your return home.

Guest nikkichap
Hi Nikki

Not posted on here for a long time but felt the need to reply to your post. We are also in Mackay and are returning home in April for some of the reasons you have stated. I have read your posts and can certainly see where you are coming from.

We (husband and me) have been here since June 2008 on 457. Finding it difficult to settle, missing family and OH finding it difficult to find work in his trade - plumbing & heating without basically jumping through hoops and starting from scratch (he has been in the trade for over 20 years).

No regrets in having given it a go though life will be all the more richer in the long run from the experiences gained here I am sure. Just can`t wait to get home.

Do you think it's to do with living in Mackay? I really wanted to settle into Australian life and be a happy family. That hasn't happened but I keep thinking that maybe if we had gone to one of the big cities it might have been different. I just don't know! I miss alot of things about the UK that I could never replace here. Friends and family being one. I have not made any friends in this town although I have tried hard to fit in. My OH seems to go away alot now as his company don't have any work coming in so I am on my own 3/4 days a week with no one to talk to apart from the kids! I have felt very isolated and quite down in the dumps at times. I know I am returning without him and being away from him is going to be hard but I will have friends and family around to help with loneliness. I feel completely different about being on my own in the UK to being on my own in OZ. I will have more freedom in the UK, most things are walking distance, I hate having to drive everywhere. I feel as if my life is on hold until I get back home. I just want things to get back to normal. I know that my friends are not going to be able to drop everything and come running when I need them but just being able to pick up the phone and call them is good. My boys are going back to their old school so will meet up with their old friends. Their friends dont know they are returning and the teachers are keeping it as a surprise for their classmates. Chatting at the school with the other mums is something else I miss.

I feel that we have tried to make it work for us and although we have only been here a few months I would rather go back now than wait 2 years as I feel it would be harder to settle back.

I hope everything goes well for you. Good luck.

Nikki

45 days and counting!:jiggy:

Guest snow white
Hi Nikki

totally understand where your coming from we had the same my oh plumber and corgi gas heating engineer thankfully hes found the perfect job but it was not easy more hoops than i d care to mention along the way, im sorry to hear things havent worked out for you and your family and wish you all the best for the future

keep us updated on how you get on back in uk

lesley x

Guest snow white

hi nikki

all the best for your future hon and im glad your happy with the decision to return hope the time goes by quick so hubbie isnt away from you too long

can i ask what your boys thought about the decision to go back?

all the best

lesley x

Guest nikkichap
hi nikki

all the best for your future hon and im glad your happy with the decision to return hope the time goes by quick so hubbie isnt away from you too long

can i ask what your boys thought about the decision to go back?

all the best

lesley x

Before any decision was made we had many chats with the boys (10 & 8) regarding life in OZ. We did it in a way that they didn't feel under any pressure. Did it over a couple of weeks by dropping questions into the conversation regarding school, friends, after school clubs, daily living, weekend activities etc. Repeated it several times to see if they gave the same answers or it their answers changed depending on the day. It became clear that although they were quite happy they prefered the UK life. We then explained that we were thinking of going home. They were more than happy with the news. If they were absolutely loving life here and I thought they would be much happier here then I would probably given it longer and stayed. But as they weren't that bothered then we made the decision to return.:smile:

Guest snow white

thats good that they were happy with the decision to return i cant imagine what it must be like to have gone through the upheaval of moving your family to the other side of the world and then to move back to uk again i wish you all the very best of luck hon for the future you are very brave

lesley x

Do you think it's to do with living in Mackay? I really wanted to settle into Australian life and be a happy family. That hasn't happened but I keep thinking that maybe if we had gone to one of the big cities it might have been different. I just don't know! I miss alot of things about the UK that I could never replace here. Friends and family being one. I have not made any friends in this town although I have tried hard to fit in. My OH seems to go away alot now as his company don't have any work coming in so I am on my own 3/4 days a week with no one to talk to apart from the kids! I have felt very isolated and quite down in the dumps at times. I know I am returning without him and being away from him is going to be hard but I will have friends and family around to help with loneliness. I feel completely different about being on my own in the UK to being on my own in OZ. I will have more freedom in the

UK, most things are walking distance, I hate having to drive everywhere. I feel as if my life is on hold until I get back home. I just want things to get back to normal. I know that my friends are not going to be able to drop everything and come running when I need them but just being able to pick up the phone and call them is good. My boys are going back to their old school so will meet up with their old friends. Their friends dont know they are returning and the teachers are keeping it as a surprise for their classmates. Chatting at the school with the other mums is something else I miss.

I feel that we have tried to make it work for us and although we have only been here a few months I would rather go back now than wait 2 years as I feel it would be harder to settle back.

I hope everything goes well for you. Good luck.

Nikki

45 days and counting!:jiggy:

Hello Nikki

I do think that living in Mackay has played a part in our decision to go back home, but not entirely. We have looked at other areas of Qld and Australia and still came to the same decision that Australia (for us) is great for holidays but not to live. I think that we would encounter the same problems wherever we were.

We feel very much as you do in that there are may things that you cannot relpace here that we have back in the uk, and are only now able to appreciate what we have left behind. In the Uk we can drive to a least 3 large towns and city within half an hour of our home, the countryside is on our doorstep and you can go for walks without the fear of heat stroke or sun burn!lol.

I also find the lack of choice of everyday goods here frustrating.

I dont know how you have coped spending time on your own, just you and the kids. We are lucky in the fact that we both have full time jobs, (although I work shifts, which rarely matched up with hubbys days off) and we have met people through work.

Things may have been different if we had arrived somewhere else or if our family was here (we have two grownup kids back in UK ) but we will never know. It just feels very right to be going home.

It has not all been negative here, and I will try and look at the move here as a long (and very expensive )holiday.

I hope your kids settle back into UK life, I bet they can`t wait to tell all their old school mates about their `holiday` here. lol

Its a pity we didn`t connect earlier, we could have perhaps met up. Anyway if you feel the need to chat feel free to pm me.

26 days and counting - yippee:biggrin:

Archived