I'm in pieces!

Guest nikkichap

Guest nikkichap

Erma, I agree with you 100%. We looked at other parts of OZ to see if maybe we could settle in a different area, we knew it would be difficult with the job situation. We realised that over the past few months we have been reading posts about why people are returning to the UK and i realsied that it wouldn't matter where we were, we would still want to go home. We knew that the only place we wanted to be was back in the UK. I definatetly want to return in a few years for holidays but first I want to explore the UK and most of all Europe.

What do your family/friends think about you returning? Do you have jobs to go back to? I have only told my family not any of my friends yet. I am trying to get it clear in my head what to tell people.

Nikki

Guest petmarchehol

hi just to say i have been back in uk now for 6 weeks and it feels so good and right and my children are doing so much more in uk and now seem their normal selves. i now appeciate the uk more and even like the weather. we have had such lovely weather since returning to uk . my kids are loving seeing their family again.

good luck with your move back

Guest nikkichap
hi just to say i have been back in uk now for 6 weeks and it feels so good and right and my children are doing so much more in uk and now seem their normal selves. i now appeciate the uk more and even like the weather. we have had such lovely weather since returning to uk . my kids are loving seeing their family again.

good luck with your move back

It's good to know that you have settled well and that your children are happy. I know it's not going to be easy , especially living with MIL but she has been really good putting a roof over our heads and has even given me a job. She is not the maternal type, she's not unkind just not into cuddles etc but she is very practicle and seems to be getting ready for our arrival. My OH will be joining us in a few months although his old company is looking at taking him back so he could be back with us sooner than expected.

Hope life continues to keep you happy.

Nikki:smile:

good luck with your move back home, we are also going back home sometime this year as OH's job is not safe at the moment and unable to find another sponsor as the job situation here is really quiet at the moment. We are actually excited about going back as we also want to explore Europe and the UK (miss weekends away without having to drive hours and hours to get there). Know exactly what you've been going through its a hard to decision to make but hey just tell your family the job situation didn't work out and you are all happy to come home that's all they want to hear is that you are happy. LIfe is one big adventure and at least you'll never wonder what it would have been like to live here, its not for everyone and we've enjoyed our time here but onto the next adventure for us.

Sarah

Hi Nikki, we seem to be following the same train of thought. One of our main promises to ourselves when we`re back in the UK is to explore around the UK and travel abroad more. I have a long list of places that I want to visit.

After living here we realise that most things are on our doorstep we can be in another European country in less time in some cases than it takes to travel to Townsville.

We have let people know we are going home and everyone seems really pleased and are happy that we are doing what is right for us. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that at least we gave it a go.

Hi Nikki

I just wanted to say that time will fly when you're at home and your husband will be back before you know it.

I wasn't happy in oz and came back in November with my kids, my husband came for a visit around Christmas, he gets home next week and we're all so excited.

Anyway the time here has gone so quickly, especially compared to Australia where it felt like time stood still.

I got my girls back into their old nursery (emailed from oz) and they are their old selves again. They were bored and not challenged in their oz nursery and became quite frustrated. I used to ask them what they'd done and who they'd played with in oz and they'd always say "nothing and no one" which they'd never done in the UK nursery. Now back at the uk nursery when I ask what they've done the list is endless and so are the names of who they play with, not to mention the happy mood the come out in.

Family and friends are still here and happy to have us back, some friends' lives have changed and we don't see them as much but we've got a new load of friends too. We have been so busy since being back and it hasn't stopped, it's been great.

Like many have already said, I appreciate everything about the UK, even down to the weather, it's just great to be back. As for having everything on our doorstep, it's so true and we've been making the most of it all.

I now know that Australia isn't for me. I'm glad I did it becuase I won't always wonder and it was an experience.

Good luck with everything.

Hi Nikki

I just wanted to say that time will fly when you're at home and your husband will be back before you know it.

I wasn't happy in oz and came back in November with my kids, my husband came for a visit around Christmas, he gets home next week and we're all so excited.

Anyway the time here has gone so quickly, especially compared to Australia where it felt like time stood still.

I got my girls back into their old nursery (emailed from oz) and they are their old selves again. They were bored and not challenged in their oz nursery and became quite frustrated. I used to ask them what they'd done and who they'd played with in oz and they'd always say "nothing and no one" which they'd never done in the UK nursery. Now back at the uk nursery when I ask what they've done the list is endless and so are the names of who they play with, not to mention the happy mood the come out in.

Family and friends are still here and happy to have us back, some friends' lives have changed and we don't see them as much but we've got a new load of friends too. We have been so busy since being back and it hasn't stopped, it's been great.

Like many have already said, I appreciate everything about the UK, even down to the weather, it's just great to be back. As for having everything on our doorstep, it's so true and we've been making the most of it all.

I now know that Australia isn't for me. I'm glad I did it becuase I won't always wonder and it was an experience.

Exactly the same for me. My year in Australia was the longest of my life. Now it just shoots past.

Hope all goes well for both of you.

John

Guest nikkichap
Hi Nikki

Thanks for that. It's always nice to hear from people in the same situation. I know I'm going to miss OH like mad but at least I can go visit friends or family if i'm feeling low. I have no one here and it's just so hard being on your own all the time. My OH is going away tomorrow and not back till next weekend. It's only a week but it's going to feel like a month! He used to go away with work while we were in the UK and it didn't bother me but here it just feels awlful. I'm sure my boys are going to miss him too but they are going back to their old schools and back with their friends and I'm sure I can get them back into their hobbies (football, karate, aikido and Cubs) and time will fly by. My life used to be so busy!! I've become a bit of a lazy arse! I'm looking forward to walking to the shops, park, town, school. We are really looking forward to getting home. I am going to be walking round with a big smile on my face :smile:. Nikki

Guest JoanneHattersley

You have to do what is best for you! As someone else once said "you`ll never know if you never go".

Well, you came here and had a go. I take my hat off to anyone having the courage to do that! There are a lot of people that dont have the courage to try!

Good Luck with your new life! We all support you and hope that you do well. Keep in touch x

WE`ll have to tell Tim to do a "poms were in oz and back in uk" section for you guys!!

Guest benedict1
Exactly the same for me. My year in Australia was the longest of my life. Now it just shoots past.

Hope all goes well for both of you.

John

I'm sure there's more to it - but why would you want life to shoot pass you?

Guest nikkichap

I think when you are unhappy, time stands still. A day can feel like a week etc. When you are happy in your life time fly's. It's not that you want it to, it just does when you are happily going about your business. :v_SPIN:

Guest benedict1
I think when you are unhappy, time stands still. A day can feel like a week etc. When you are happy in your life time fly's. It's not that you want it to, it just does when you are happily going about your business. :v_SPIN:

I wish you all the very best!! :smile:

There are many, many people who always 'talk' about making the move and don't ever try it. At least you gave it a good go.

You won't go throught he 'regrets' phase when you get to retirement age.

Good Luck.

Guest welcometomyworld

good luck Nikki, hope your trip back goes smoothly, at least you tried and tested it and dont feel too badly if everyone wanted to be here there wouldnt be much place left lol. Time will fly by and you will be together again. Very best wishes for a bright new future

Proud to be a Tasmanian living in Tasmania

Guest branc
Hi Nikki

Not posted on here for a long time but felt the need to reply to your post. We are also in Mackay and are returning home in April for some of the reasons you have stated. I have read your posts and can certainly see where you are coming from.

We (husband and me) have been here since June 2008 on 457. Finding it difficult to settle, missing family and OH finding it difficult to find work in his trade - plumbing & heating without basically jumping through hoops and starting from scratch (he has been in the trade for over 20 years).

No regrets in having given it a go though life will be all the more richer in the long run from the experiences gained here I am sure. Just can`t wait to get home.

Good luck on your return home.

Good luck on your return home.

I know how it feels I have been in Mackay for 10 months and still feel just as lonely as when I arrived. Though life would be better here for the children, that we would have more family time. But how wrong was I! I have tried to stick it out but I am thinking about returning home with my two girls, while my OH stays here.

Any advice?

Guest nikkichap

It wasn't an easy decision to make as we are a strong family and have always had a happy home life. When OH got the chance to work in OZ we thought what a great opportunity! Start of a new life etc. It hasn't been what we expected and not a life that is making us happy.

It's going to be the hardest thing to leave OH behind and return but I know it's for the best. People back home, mainly his family think it's not a good idea to return without him! They think HE will be lonely without me and his boys. I tell them that I've been lonely for 6 months!! I tell them he is only going to be staying for 5 months at the most. It's hard trying to explain what it's been like for me.

I am going to be moving in with my MIL which is not ideal but if she hadn't agreed then I would have to wait another 6 months before returning. She is also giving me job. So i'm greatful for that. I do own my own house but can't afford to move back in until OH returns.

Discuss with your OH what is best for you all as a family. Every situation is different.

Things to think about:

Will OH return at a later date?

Do your children want to return? Have they settled?

Do you have a place to stay?

How will you support yourself?

Will you have support of family and friends?

How will you feel once you have returned?

Finacially it's costing us a lot to go home (paying back relocation costs etc) but at the end of the day you can't put a price on family happiness.

Nikki

P.s. Since I first posted this I have had many messages from people in our area! Shame we didn't all meet up before.

Guest notmanfamily

Hi,

I have been in Mackay for a few weeks now, I have two boys (5 and 3), the oldest is at west mackay state school and he loves it, the mums there are soo friendly.

I am finding it very stressful to know if we have made the right decision, but it feels a lot safer and more relaxed than the life we had in britain. Dont like the not knowing who is who on tv etc. Its just the unfamiliarity thats really getting me down, hopefully that will come in time! I think I need to get a job and get out the house. Also sick of spending money we dont have on things we left in uk arghhh..

rant over sorry

sharon:chatterbox:

Guest nikkichap

Really pleased you are settling well and that you are making friends with the other mums at the school. I actually live in Walkerston which is just outside Mackay. Most of the kids at our school get the bus so I don't see many of the other mums. One of the mums actually spoke to me yesterday for the first time after taking my boys to school and collecting them for the past 6 months! She seemed really nice but it's too late for me now as I'm off in May. I hope it all works out for you. Mackay is a nice town and the beaches are lovely. It's just not the place for us.

Nikki

Guest gaynorsimpson

HI FOLKS, just noticed you have been on gold coast since Nov 2008, so have we!

My hubby and I and our 11 year old son. Havn't really made many friends yet, what about you? we were thinking about rent a mate! lol!

where are you living? we are in Gaven.

I ama nurse and hubby a car sales exec. We are doing well so far. What about you?

Regards,

Gaynor

No your right. Don't mean it that way I'd rather enjoy life and it goes slow but my time in Aus just dragged on now now life is good unfortunatly it passes so quick, but "that's life" as Esther that fella in the chair used to say

Archived