Our story

bryam99

Hi all,

I dont really post on this site, just read over the forums most of the time, but i notice quite a few true but sadly negative threads that are great for keeping things out of rosy tinted la la land. I just wanted to put our story on here, gritty and hard going but ultimately positive i think.

Our lives in the UK were very difficult, we worked very hard, but seemed to be running on the spot and getting nowhere. We didnt own our own home, we didnt have much in the way of savings at all and the future was pretty bleak really.

I applied for a job in Brisbane one night over the internet, my skills are in short supply worldwide it seems, anyway, needless to say i was offered a position.

From that moment on our lives were turned upside down, we had to sell every single posetion we owned to get enough dosh to cover medicals, flights, accommodation etc etc etc. Three months later our family of four landed in Brisbane with a small fistful of money about $6000 and nothing more but a job to go to and a temporary place to stay- one room, 4 bodies, high 30's, no aircon, very unsuitable although lovely owners that made us feel welcome.

I started work 3 days after landing as we knew we had to get money coming in quickly, my husband started applying for jobs straight away. Number one priority was a house and renting is a competitive business here, luckily we had all our references on us and our fist full of money to throw at the rental agent and we had ourselves a house after two weeks. We were so happy to have a place that was cool and spacious although we then had to get some furniture, like i said we had nothing. For the first night we slept on towels that we had brought with us then moved up to airbeds that felt like luxury. Hubby got the kids settled in to the local school and continued to look for work, he is classed as unskilled and it took much longer than we had banked on, i worked 7 days a week solidly for 3 months just to keep our heads above water. Then thank god he got a full time position and from that point on we have never looked back. Our lives are completely and utterly better now, the climate is fantastic, the country is beautiful, people are a little more reserved than i was expecting and we havent made friends but we are happy in our own world. We bought a new car, i recently popped back to Uk to visit family, this just wouldnt have been possible in our previous lives, we could never have afforded to 'pop' to Australia.

The one obvious downside is missing family and dear friends, but we keep in regular contact via msn and telephone.

I think sometimes that we were foolhardy to risk such drastic actions. I felt very guilty for putting my children in abject poverty while we sorted ourselves out and this adventure was definitely not for the fainthearted. But in our case at least fortune favoured the brave, at the end of the day no one was putting their life at risk here. We lost all our material posessions in our quest to change our lives, but gradually they are all coming back, i got promoted to a much higher level at work and we earn 3 times as much as we did at home. Our daughter loves her school and finds that bullying is nowhere near as bad as it could get at home, she has become a little girl again, our son has gone back to the UK to visit everyone he misses.

I often wonder how many people like us who dont have much money think that this kind of life changing move is beyond them so they stay stuck in a rut. Poor people just have to work a bit harder, if you have no house to sell it really is a different game here without a financial safety net - but we expected that and it kept the adrenaline flowing fast enough to keep it together.

What an adventure we have had, what desperate ups and downs, but it was worth it.

In a couple of months we are going to apply to get permanent residency, we love this land and will always be grateful for the opportunities it has given us. (of course we have yet to discover other parts of the world!!)

And we feel more alive and empowered now than ever before.:cool:

Thank you so much for your post, it shows that with a will, hard work (and a little luck) :) good things can be achieved. I know you will make the most out of your opportunities there and carve out a good life for yourselves, and we hope to do the same soon !

Thats a really great post, well done for taking a chance and making a better life for you and your family, its really is nice to see such a positive post.

Guest stiggibbs

my family and i are also taking a similar chance although have alot of hurdles to get through before we can even make an application, your post was really good to read,

Charlotte

Guest fergie family

Hi

Great post. Just goes to show that you dont have to go with loads of money. Hard work and determination .

Well Done

Best Regards

Susan

Guest ashmalog

this was really compelling reading - how you have put your lives on hold to provide the best for your children, they will thank you in years to come. i am forever worrying about not having enough money to go over with, paying off a mortgage here and not having enough for a deposit over in oz. on reading your post you have become our inspiration. we have 3 lovely boys who can't wait to go to oz. we have just booked our flts out but feel that we may need to use the rtn part of the flt as haven't sold our house yet.

thank you for your honesty i am glad your life is better - that is all that most people ask for. good luck with the future. x

Hi, we were exactly in the same boat. My husband and I both worked in the uk, but never seemed to get ahead. I stayed up all night one night ringing companies that were looking for panel beaters (hubbys trade) until I found one that would sponsor. We sold most everything and only had $5000 when we landed and 2 small kids. Hubby started work 5 days later and we haven't looked back. We stayed in a small cabin at a caravan park til we found a rental. We had a car that was borrowed from our sponsor that leaked LOL now things are great.. Our son (6) goes to a lovely private school and emma (3) does ballet and they both do swimming. I stack shelves at coles in the evening, so it doesn't disrupt the kids daily routine. We knew it would be hard for a while but we were ready for it. Sometimes to get somewhere truly good you have to walk through a bit of mud and work hard, but once you get there you won't ever look back, well that's what I think anyway :-)

Guest snow white

im just repeating whatever one else has already said fantastic post i enjoyed reading every bit of it and its great to hear a realistic point of view on life in oz

wishing you and your family all teh best on your continuous adventure with life in oz

lesley x

Guest JoanneHattersley

Truly great reading guys! You would give hope to anyone who is sitting in the UK with a few doubts! Well done for grabbling life and going with it!

I have been here for 4 years and still love my life out here.

Hope that your life continues to get better out here. If you are anything like we were.....things will fall into place for you!

Guest plumbobs

Hi great post, we have been here three weeks and in exactly the same situation we came out with $10,000, 9 suitcases and 5 children with no jobs, no house and no car, well 3 weeks on we have both got jobs, hubby is a plumber and earning more than in the uk, i have got a part time merchandising job earning nearly double the minimum wage in the uk that i would of earnt, we have rented a beautiful 4x2 house in secret harbour with a 10 minute walk to the sea and have just bought a nice car. The children have settled into school and our quality life far outweighs what we had in the uk we all love it here and couldn't imagine ever being anywhere else.

This is still the land of opportunities you just have to work harder to get where you want to be,but it definatly can still be done if you want it bad enough.

Sue

Guest laura r

what a great post and you have a lot of qutts to do what you did. we sold our home and we talked about moving to oz yrs ago as my husband is australian . took us 4 monts to get my perminent visa. only been here 4 weeks and miss home. but ive got to give it time. youo right i think people think if they havnt enough money lets just muddle along but uv shown you can do it as long as your deturmend. im rubish at spelling as you can tell lol. im glad ur happy and settles u deserve it.

laura

Thankyou all so much for your lovely comments. How good is it that there are so many others that have similar stories. I think it is the usual way of things that happy and contented people often dont speak up as much as the people who have had bad experiences, so i am glad this brought a few of you out of the closet (too busy having fun eh!)

Well done everyone who made it work, and well done for trying to those who didnt.

I would much rather try and fail than always wonder what if....

You are a great bunch :wubclub:

Guest treesea

Great posts, bryam99 and lizzy27. And a sensible way to go about emigrating, i.e. making sure at least one of you had a secure job to go to before jumping on a plane. If you have secure work to go to, then, even in a recession, all you need is enough to live on for the first month, the first month's rent and security deposit, and then maybe $2,000 or so "just in case" money. Even if you move into an unfurnished place (most reasonably priced rentals are unfurnished in Australia, but usually include the cooker and maybe the dishwasher), you don't have to buy everything brand new to start with. Air mattresses are a great idea.

But in a recession, those who are going without a job to go to, especially if you are planning to go to places where it's relatively hard to get work, like the Gold Coast, Perth or Adelaide, would be wise to make sure you have plenty of money with you. Even then, being unemployed and getting decent rental accommodation don't really go together well, imho.

Trying to get a job from here in the UK is a good test of whether there really is a skills shortage. I don't mean for obvious shortages, like nursing, car/truck mechanics, or panel beating - they would have to be importing 10,000 people a year in each of these fields to dent demand. I mean more for things where, though there are jobs, there is also a lot of competition for those jobs. So engineering, accounting, anything in the I.T. field, telecommunications, any jobs in the building trade.

Archived