Regional Victoria

Guest riddes01

Guest riddes01

Does anybody out there have anything to say about Ballarat? My wife and I travelled out to Victoria last year but on the advice of our agents only looked at Bendigo and Geelong as they were apparently the only places that would sponsor us (via my wifes profession as a primary teacher). We liked both these places alot but on our return we were told that neither could sponsor us (which was odd as the schools my wife visited al said they were crying out for staff!). Anyway, it has turned out that Ballarat have agreed to sponsor us but guess what we didn't visit there and although the internet and google earth are great we feel we don't really know much about the place. I am hoping to find employment in Health and Safety but know very little about what industry there is around Ballarat - can anybody help!

Cheers:GEEK:

Guest riddes01

:spinny: Great all the way to Oz and I will still be able to get oven chips! I wonder if they do deep fried Mars Bars as well!

Thanks

:spinny: Great all the way to Oz and I will still be able to get oven chips! I wonder if they do deep fried Mars Bars as well!

Thanks

Yep, and deep friend Snickers!! Most Fish & Chips places do them :biggrin:

Ballarat is quite a nice place actually. A gold mining town it has some parts which are dead affluent and some which are not. It is well set up as a large country centre and has all the infrastructure and services you would expect. Being an hour from Melbourne it is also a dormitory town to some extent and a number of folk catch the train into the city every day.

It has Sovereign Hill as its major tourist attraction along with the Gold museum and Eureka Stockade. It has reasonable facilities for sport, several good private schools and a couple of good public ones. Must say I am surprised to hear they need teachers - I have a primary teacher friend who has had no end of trouble getting a job and she has very good skills.

At the moment in the middle of a drought and so the lake in the centre of town is bone dry (literally) and their weather is confusing (my SIL tells me that it gets very hot but my experience is that it is always bl**dy freezing - I must go at the wrong time of year!).

Guest riddes01

Quoll,

Thanks for your reply - an interesting insight! I can't pretend we understand how finding teaching jobs works in Victoria, when we went to Bendigo the schools we visited said they were desperate for teachers but the authorities wouldn't sponsor us yet Ballarat have but there may be no shortage?

Anyway, hopefully we will get the oportunity to find out. We are waiting not so patiently to find out if we will get a visa.

Thanks for replying!:unsure:

Archived