been back in the uk nearly three 3 weeks......

shellj

well we headed off to oz 7/11/08...(perth/ clarkson). We are a family of 4 me (chef) oh (plasterer) two daughters 16 & 13....we flew back end of jan 09...not long you say...well maybe not but didn't sell our house....so we went with £4000....not near enough...looking back we thought that both our trades were in demand...we would be ok to find jobs...how wrong were we...i got a job pretty quick...but not near enough wages to support us as a family...oh didn't.. the downturn in the economy hit hard after christmas...the building trade went right down..we have a friend in perth in the trade...his boss who is aussie is struggling to keep his building bussines going...he gave us lots of contacts to ring but nothing...so we were really struggling...if it wasn't for friends in oz...we don't know what we would have done...we rented out our home in the uk...we were going to us that as a income...but guess what the people that were renting it.. didn't pay the rent....its been a nightmare...they are still in there...we are having trouble getting them out...also in oz we had trouble getting our yougest into school...the state school we were told to keep well away from...all the private were full up...so that was a worry...we have managed to get her back into her old school...our oldrest daughter has got her old job back....my oh has got work here....the property agents have told us that the people in our house will be leaving soon... so all in all its been a very expensive experience...one we are glad to have done...the dream is much better that the realality....we are glad to be home....

Guest mandisfam

Hi, What an adventure, at least you tried. I hope you have some good memories of your time in Perth as well the bad ones with money worries. Hope you soon get back in your house. What a nightmare for you.

Good luck with settling in back home.

Mandisfam

Guest TheDraycotts

Hi Shell,

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. You are lucky your husband managed to get work straight away here. I suppose you will put it down to experience but this is my worry as we are due to go the end of March and it costs so much to go and you have to give so much up i just hope its worth it. At least you still have your house and you will soon be back in it hopefully.

Pm me if you want to talk some more.

Take care,

Helen x

Guest daytona675

Hi New to this forum and picked up on that you were working as a chef. Myself and my family are waiting to go to Perth and I too will be looking for chef work can you tell me why it was dificult to get work is it lack of jobs or is it just that pay is not so good, any help you can give me will be much appreciated, thanks

Guest stockies

Hi Shell so sorry things have not worked out for you........maybe in a couple of years time when things pick up you might want to have another look.............Good luck with whatever you decide hun.

Claire. XX

Hi New to this forum and picked up on that you were working as a chef. Myself and my family are waiting to go to Perth and I too will be looking for chef work can you tell me why it was dificult to get work is it lack of jobs or is it just that pay is not so good, any help you can give me will be much appreciated, thanks

Hi and welcome to poms in oz, good luck with your move

Tania X:smile:

So sorry things did not go according to plan, hope you manage to pick up the pieces of your lives. Will you go back to Oz once your house is sold, or don't you know yet?

Tania X

hiya TaniaColin, sorry so long to reply..not back in our house yet...so no internet....no won't be going back to oz...any time soon..as got our daughters education/careers to think about....but neva say neva...we said that we would neva come back to the uk...but where are we...life has a funny way of taking control...sometimes...take care i wish you all the very best....

Hi there daytona...

there was still plenty of work for chefs....the pay is less than the uk...if you want to talk anymore feel free to pm me....all the very best....shellj

Guest Celtic.H.

Best of luck to you,

I think so many people look through rose coloured specs when they want to come to OZ and especially Perth. It is very expensive here, think of it as if you were a tradesman and you thought about a move to london or the south east, you wouldn't expect it to be cheap and it isn't here. The building industry has really dropped out, you won't earn a great deal. If you are a nurse your laughing but be prepared to be transported back 20 years and if you had built a good career prepare to become (for some) potentially de-skilled in you area. This isn't the place it once was and certainly is not the land of opportunity people think it maybe. Yes it has lifestyle, but you still have to afford it. You can't over do the research and a reccie doesn't prepare you for living here long term. It is tough. We were lucky we sold our house just before it went bottoms up but have spent all that now on the basics of living as didn't bring much. Second hand cars in Perth are ridiculously overpriced, a 10 year old banger will cost you $10K.

well we headed off to oz 7/11/08...(perth/ clarkson). We are a family of 4 me (chef) oh (plasterer) two daughters 16 & 13....we flew back end of jan 09...not long you say...well maybe not but didn't sell our house....so we went with £4000....not near enough...looking back we thought that both our trades were in demand...we would be ok to find jobs...how wrong were we...i got a job pretty quick...but not near enough wages to support us as a family...oh didn't.. the downturn in the economy hit hard after christmas...the building trade went right down..we have a friend in perth in the trade...his boss who is aussie is struggling to keep his building bussines going...he gave us lots of contacts to ring but nothing...so we were really struggling...if it wasn't for friends in oz...we don't know what we would have done...we rented out our home in the uk...we were going to us that as a income...but guess what the people that were renting it.. didn't pay the rent....its been a nightmare...they are still in there...we are having trouble getting them out...also in oz we had trouble getting our yougest into school...the state school we were told to keep well away from...all the private were full up...so that was a worry...we have managed to get her back into her old school...our oldrest daughter has got her old job back....my oh has got work here....the property agents have told us that the people in our house will be leaving soon... so all in all its been a very expensive experience...one we are glad to have done...the dream is much better that the realality....we are glad to be home....

for those worryed about there visa taking to long to come through may be it is a blessing it disguised for those with little funds.( more time to save or sell your house) if you are one of the lucky ones still with a job

Guest nikkichap

Sorry to hear about all your stresses. Moving to OZ has been a costly experience for you. I am quite surprised at how expensive day to day living is!

I hope you get back into your house soon. I just hope it doesn't cost money to get the house straight after the tenants leave. I've heard about tenants that have no respect for the property they are renting:shocked:. We are also renting our house out. We did it privately and I have someone going round to check on the property every couple of months. We have been very lucky so far! Lovely family living there. Shame they will have to move out in October as we are moving back! Can't wait!

Hope everything works out for you.

I feel really bad for you all, sounds like quite a dissapointing experience. I am just curious, did you leave oz solely because you couldnt afford to stay or did you leave because you didn't like it. ?

Best of luck to you,

Second hand cars in Perth are ridiculously overpriced, a 10 year old banger will cost you $10K.

This is a ridiculous statement, I've just bought a new car for $10,000 prior to that bought a large car 6 year old for less than $8k.

Your either looking in the wrong places or not bargining enough!

Guest brooksey
This is a ridiculous statement, I've just bought a new car for $10,000 prior to that bought a large car 6 year old for less than $8k.

Your either looking in the wrong places or not bargining enough!

What kind of car did you get brand new for approx 4,000 quid. (no pound sign on my computer)

Guest brooksey

I'm realy sorry how it's worked out for you. Some of my rellies rent houses out in England and have had problems with non payers. The courts are on the tennents side, which is wrong. Sometimes other means of extracting them are better.

Hi shellj, sorry things didn't work out for you. Was your decision to return purely down to finance or did you dislike the area / lifestyle etc? At least you can say you gave it a try anyway. If you'd never come, you might have been thinking "If only" a few years down the line, wondering what might have been and regretting never having tried Oz. Hope everything works out ok with your house.

Guest proud2beaussie
no pound sign on my computer)

Easy fixed,hold down the ALT key and at the same time type in (using the numeric keypad) 0163.hey presto £.

BTW,I also wish you good luck,shellj,and hope things work out better for you in the future,shame it didn't work in oz but at least you had a go at it,well done for that.

N'OZ

Guest tony and sheena

So sorry it didn't work out, you've had a rotten run of luck.

The work situation here is not all it's cracked up to be, as we're finding out ourselves.

Hope it all works out soon with your house and you can get back to normal asap.

Take care

Sheena

So sorry it didn't work out, you've had a rotten run of luck.

The work situation here is not all it's cracked up to be, as we're finding out ourselves.

Hope it all works out soon with your house and you can get back to normal asap.

Take care

Sheena

Would you still advise people to still to come out if on a low budget & with no job to go to ?

Archived