Flu Season.

Guest ezems

Flu! if that is all you get I would be happy (not you personally!!!). Since last Sunday we have all had sickness, the runs and and cold with flu symptoms.... It put me in bed for three days and thats saying something when I had three children and a hubby to clean up after.

On the mend now and at least my food budget is looking healthy this week. lol

Guest KilleyClan

aww glad your feeling better now

its hard to imaging getting the flu in a hot climate i suupose once you are climatised though then what seems hot to us coming over is cool for you.

oh well now i know that the flu is one thing i can't add to my list of reasons to go to oz :twitcy:

emma

Guest DadAgain
:wacko:you get the flu in brisbane?

i thought it would be too hot to get the flu in queensland :unsure:

1) Brisbane winters are cold... cold in a way you'll never experience in the UK. It may be a nice bright sunny 22C during the day, in the sun, but when a westerly wind kicks in (usualy in August) it can be biting cold and some days the temperature doesnt climb above 10C.

10C? I hear you laugh - thats warm! - NO IT ISNT - Not when it drops overnight to 2C and your house is specifically designed to let air circulate and stop heat building up. Winter in Brisbane is inescapable. Houses are cold, workplaces can be cold EVERYTHING is cold and theres no cosy pub nestled by the fireside to warm up! Believe me, the stats may not sound impressively cold, but you will feel chilled to the bone in winter in Brisbane.

2) "Flu" is a generic term used, mostly incorrectly by Queenslanders to describe any ailment even vaguely accompanied by standard common cold symptoms. Got a runny nose and just want to have the day off work? You have to call it "flu". If you call it what it is and say you have a cold you'll be called all sorts of names for taking an undeserved sickie. There have been outbursts of real flu ("Influenza type A") recently in Queensland and these have lead to hospitalisations and fatalities (in children).

3) "Flu season" in Brisbane is August. Firstly theres the aforementioned cool blustery conditions. Then theres the "Ekka".

"Ekka" is the Queensland Show - Brisbaneites get a public holiday on the WEdnesday, but the show runs all week and is a perculiar mix of fairground, country livestock show, pet exhibitions, and general local business expo. I've never understood the attraction - it costs a vast sum of money to get in to the "Ekka" and once inside nothing is free anyway - and youre exposed to the most intense high pressure marketting from various businesses keen to use the oportunity to hawk their product to anyone passing by their stall. Having said that - its a very popular thing to do in Brisbane and because it involves lots of 'country folk' coming to the city for a week of partying and lots of Brisbane folk gathering in a crowd there does seem to be an exchange of viruses that get unleashed on the general population.

Flu jabs come out in March and I get mine every year due to having had a real dose of the flu and becoming seriously will. Pensioners get them free and people who are 65 also get the pneumonia jab free. Guess its the same in all States this is in Vic.

Otherwise it costs $20.00 for the flu jab and our docs keep them in stock so we do not have to go to the chemist and get prescription like some docs do.

• 2 weeks later...
1) I've never understood the attraction - it costs a vast sum of money to get in to the "Ekka" and once inside nothing is free anyway - and youre exposed to the most intense high pressure marketting from various businesses keen to use the oportunity to hawk their product to anyone passing by their stall.

We fell for the hype and went last year with the kids, (who were 5, 3 and 1 at the time). It was utter pants! There was nothing of any interest to them, and spent a fortune on showbags full of tat:mad:.

Just saw the advert for the flu trial, SEEK jobs database and employment advice

would have been tempted if it was a bit closer.

Jo x

Guest Happyone
We fell for the hype and went last year with the kids, (who were 5, 3 and 1 at the time). It was utter pants! There was nothing of any interest to them, and spent a fortune on showbags full of tat:mad:.

Just saw the advert for the flu trial, SEEK jobs database and employment advice

would have been tempted if it was a bit closer.

Jo x

Admittedly we don't have kids, but we found the Ekka great and didn't spend much at all. We saw the dog shows for a few hours, watched the sheep dog trials and the showjumping in the main ring, then went up to the restaurant above the main ring, which was pretty good value. All you can eat roast, real country style, and ok wine for not a lot of money. Good thing too you can come and go from the restaurant and watch the night time entertainment from there. Didn't even venture into the show bag pavillion.:wink:

Guest JoanneHattersley

There is no evidence to say that flu jabs do "more harm!!", thats a myth!

Im already there celebrating early!!!! I have cough, cold, sore throat and aching like hell now!

Admittedly we don't have kids, but we found the Ekka great and didn't spend much at all.

Guess you have a completely day out without having whinging kids with you- I tend to forget that :laugh:! We couldn't do any of that with them in tow, pulling their faces, so fair point.

Completely gone of the point of the thread now though :wink:.

Jo x

I Had Brisbane flu just before coming out here (so the news in the UK said, thats what it was)...in between xmas and new year i was laid up for four days flat!! Stunk like a pig! It was hell.

Worst of all it was when we were packing. We never got to have a party. It spreads like wildfire. It took at least a month to get over it

Flu - you'll know when you have it!!! I hope im immune to whatever strain it is this year!!

Guest JoanneHattersley

Yep! I know! Cough, sore throat, headaches. muscles killing me! Walking to the bathroom takes an effort and a stinker of a cold!!

Guest Perth Princess
Flu! if that is all you get I would be happy (not you personally!!!). Since last Sunday we have all had sickness, the runs and and cold with flu symptoms.... It put me in bed for three days and thats saying something when I had three children and a hubby to clean up after.

On the mend now and at least my food budget is looking healthy this week. lol

My daughters have both had this. I don't want it but have you lost heaps of weight by any chance? At least there's a bit of pay off when that happens:twitcy:

Archived