Resident return visa

ali

Whist at the dept of immigration yesterday I bumped into a colleague whose been here 6 years. She recently went on holiday overseas, when she landed back in Aus, she found that she couldn't easily re-enter the country as she hadn't got a resident return visa. She had not been awar that she needed one. she was granted a bridging visa for 30 years in which she had to go and sort out her visa at immigration.

So a word of warning for those who've been here longer than the 5 years on the PR - remember if you're going overseas to obtain a resident return visa to get back in.

Ali

Guest proud2beaussie

Yes,I agree with moving2melbourne,it's a good point you make,ali,I think a lot of people who come to Australia on permanent resident visas are under the impression that it gives them the right to come and go whenever they

like forever,this is not the case,as ali's friend has found out and anyone who has a permanent resident visa must obtain a RRV after 5 years .

The process of obtaining an RRV is fairly straightforward,you need to have spent two out of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident to qualify,there is an online application facility on the immi website and the current cost is $240.00 for a five year RRV.

But as moving2melbourne points out it's another good reason to apply for Australian citizenship as soon as you become eligible.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/

Archived