500 extra state sponsors every year

kellyjamie

hi,

ive just found out that these extra visas are allowed to be used for jobs that arent on any lists? if so for instance, OH works with youths who commit acts of anti social behaviour and WA corrective services have jobs just like his and he matches their person spec, if they offered him a jobcould he get WA to sponsor him? many thanks

Guest Gollywobbler
hi,

ive just found out that these extra visas are allowed to be used for jobs that arent on any lists? if so for instance, OH works with youths who commit acts of anti social behaviour and WA corrective services have jobs just like his and he matches their person spec, if they offered him a jobcould he get WA to sponsor him? many thanks

Hi Kelly

Do you mean this occupaton?

Youth Worker 3421-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

If so, does Jamie have a degree or Diploma which is at least equivalent to or better than an AQF Diploma? How long has he been doing youth work for and does he do it full time? If he emplpyed & paid to do it or is it voluntary work, please?

Whether or not he could apply for State Sponsorship in this field depends on whether or not Jamie can demonstrate the qualifications he wuld need in order to obtain a positive skills assessment.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks Gill,

yes thats his job, but thats where the down fall is, he doesnt have quals with it only nearly 4 yrs work exp. I had contact with Ian Harrop last week who talked Jamie through the job and what he needs and that was where the problem was having quals to back up his exp. I just wasnt very sure if there extra visas had to have all the qualifications aswell, but i take it they do? as your probably aware as i have asked your advice enough times, we have searched every option and way in and i think i have to just step away from it for a while because its really starting to get to me. I really am close to just giving up and admitting defeat that we will never get to live in oz. WE would even live in regional, there was an identical job to jamies in Geraldton and if we could get sponsorship we would go, its just exhausting and depressing at the mo:cry:

Guest chris_mac
Thanks Gill,

yes thats his job, but thats where the down fall is, he doesnt have quals with it only nearly 4 yrs work exp. I had contact with Ian Harrop last week who talked Jamie through the job and what he needs and that was where the problem was having quals to back up his exp. I just wasnt very sure if there extra visas had to have all the qualifications aswell, but i take it they do? as your probably aware as i have asked your advice enough times, we have searched every option and way in and i think i have to just step away from it for a while because its really starting to get to me. I really am close to just giving up and admitting defeat that we will never get to live in oz. WE would even live in regional, there was an identical job to jamies in Geraldton and if we could get sponsorship we would go, its just exhausting and depressing at the mo:cry:

Hi Kelly,

I was in the same position 3/4 years ago. I was an electrician for 20 years but never had a formal apprenticeship therefore had no quals.... My dream was to get to Australia so i decided to go back to college at 36 and undertook 2 years full time and blinkin hard study. This got me my C&G level 3 in a trade that was recognised in australia.. Hence to say i passed everything and now just waiting a CO.

You and your family are in the same situation as me a few years ago, (no formal quals) subject to your ages why not consider acheiving those Qualifications. It can be done and life is to short to let an opportunity like this to pass...

It can be done!

Best wishes

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Sent Police checks 27.08.08 - Recieved 06.09.08

Medicals done 12.01.09

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Kelly

Please don't cry. Remember that Jamie does not necessarily need a posiitive skills assessment if an employer is willing to hire him plus sponsor him for a visa. Have you applied for the job in Geraldton? If not, I recommend that you do so. If Jamie is the best candidate and is offered the job plus sponsorship, you would probably have to live in Geraldton for about 5 years. I've been to Geraldton and I like it there. It has a lovely beach and the town has some interestiing features. The population is now 25,000 or so and all the facilities have been built recently so they are up to date and they all work well.

Lack of a diploma is not the end of the world either. Vetassess would check only whether or not Jamie has an AQF Diploma or its overseas equivalent. If Jamie were to obtain NVQ 4 or something called SVQ IV I understand that Vetassess thread this as the equivalent of an SQF Diploma (though check with an Agent about this because it is what I have heard but I might not be right.)

So although Jamie probably could get a UK qualification which is actually relevant to his job as a Youth worker, let us please revisit that ASRI Page:

Youth Worker 3421-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

It says that he has to have a Diploma. It does NOT say that the Diploma has to be relevant to the occupation. Therefore Jamie could either obtain a UK qualification that is directly relevant to the work, or he could do an irrelevant Aussie diploma which would probably stand him in better stead in the long term for a lot less than it would cost to get it in the UK.

Orion Training and Performance Management | Brisbane Training and Managment

I'd suggest the Diploma of Business Development. It is all done by distance learning and I believe it costs about $2,000 AUD.

Jamie could do the course at his own pace because I am conscious that he is working full time plus doing the plumbing course as well. Plumbing is something he shouldn't give up because people always need Plumbers but they do not need Youth Workers in the same numbers.

However Chris is right. If you need a particular qualification, it is not impossible to get one. Vetassess accept the Orion Diplomas without argument so that bit is not a worry.

Best wishes

Gill

Thankyou Gill, your like an emigration angel:hug:

Once i stop feeling sorry for myself and pull myself together ill no doubt be back on my determined track and continue researching your info and anything else i can find, i think its probably natural to get totally disheartened when things just arent happening.

Thankyou for your info ill have a look through just now. I had a look at the site for Geraldton and it looks lovely, everything you need and it appears to be growing aswell,

Many thanks Gill your a star xx

Guest Birdiesinoz
Hi Kelly

Orion Training and Performance Management | Brisbane Training and Managment

I'd suggest the Diploma of Business Development. It is all done by distance learning and I believe it costs about $2,000 AUD.

Jamie could do the course at his own pace because I am conscious that he is working full time plus doing the plumbing course as well. Plumbing is something he shouldn't give up because people always need Plumbers but they do not need Youth Workers in the same numbers.

However Chris is right. If you need a particular qualification, it is not impossible to get one. Vetassess accept the Orion Diplomas without argument so that bit is not a worry.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill/Kelly

I have a couple of people who have gone this route (and several doing it now), the cost for the Business Administration Diploma (which is one of the basic ones) is $1,540 this is based on RPL if additional modules are required then then is a small cost for these. My clients have gone through in 2-6 weeks and so far none have needed additional modules. Suzanne, who runs this business is lovely and the service i have received from them is excellent (feedback has been great from the clients). And, as you said, no problems with Vetassess either as the diploma is an Ozzie one. It is definitely worthwhile contacting them Kelly.

Kind regards

Again thankyou both Gill and Cheryl, thats really much appreciated. Could either of you please clarify for me, with the oz diploma do we still have to work for another 12mths after getting it? that was what was holding us up here, jamie could get a hnc relevant to his job but it would take 18mths and then we were told we would have to work another 12mths to count as experience as they will only accept work exp after you gaina qualification? tho if this diploma can be done in a few months then witing a yr after wouldnt be bad due to the housing market anyhow?

many thanks to you both again xx

Guest Gollywobbler
Again thankyou both Gill and Cheryl, thats really much appreciated. Could either of you please clarify for me, with the oz diploma do we still have to work for another 12mths after getting it? that was what was holding us up here, jamie could get a hnc relevant to his job but it would take 18mths and then we were told we would have to work another 12mths to count as experience as they will only accept work exp after you gaina qualification? tho if this diploma can be done in a few months then witing a yr after wouldnt be bad due to the housing market anyhow?

many thanks to you both again xx

Hi Kelly

Cheryl will correct me if I am wrong. The wording says that the applicant must have worked at the "skilled level" for a minimum of 12 months prior to making the visa application. My guess is that without the qualification in the bag first, DIAC might argue that earlier work has not been at the "skilled level."

However that is a two dimensional approach because without the work experience at a skilled level it would not be possible to get the qualification quickly. DIAC tend to back away from arguments when they know that they will be defeated on pure logic. So it might be that they accept a more relaxed interpretation of "skilled level" than their website seems to imply.

To find out for sure which way DIAC jump about this one you would need to ask either a migration agent or ask DIAC to find out for you. You can ask them by e-mailing the Australian High Commission in London. They will ask the Policy people in Canberra and get back to you. DIAC's advice may not be accurate but a migration agent's advice is not automatically accurate either. I'd say that common-sense is to take a straw poll on this question and include DIAC as one of the people whose views/interpretation you might poll.

Alternatively waiting for a year after Jamie obtains the AQF Diploma would dispose of this question via operation of time anyway.

With regard to the actual qualification, I know that a lot of people have now done/are doing the Orion Diploma in Business Administration and Vetassess accept that one without fail every time. As Cheryl says, the cost is about $1,500.

However please look at the content of the course and compare it with the content of the Diploma of Business Development course. The two courses are significantly different from each other in content and the Business Development one looks much more useful - long term - to me than the Business Admin course. Learning how to start up, develop and manage a business effectively seems much more useful to me than learning how to be an "Administrator" - an occupation which used to be known as a "Clerk."

People are opting for the Admin course because they want a visa, not because they actually want to learn anything from doing the course. Apparently the Business Development course is a bit more complicated and a bit more expensive but it does look to me like it is worth the extra cost, time and effort and that in the end it represents better value for money than the Admin course, I suspect.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Birdiesinoz
Hi Kelly

Cheryl will correct me if I am wrong. The wording says that the applicant must have worked at the "skilled level" for a minimum of 12 months prior to making the visa application. My guess is that without the qualification in the bag first, DIAC might argue that earlier work has not been at the "skilled level."

However that is a two dimensional approach because without the work experience at a skilled level it would not be possible to get the qualification quickly. DIAC tend to back away from arguments when they know that they will be defeated on pure logic. So it might be that they accept a more relaxed interpretation of "skilled level" than their website seems to imply.

To find out for sure which way DIAC jump about this one you would need to ask either a migration agent or ask DIAC to find out for you. You can ask them by e-mailing the Australian High Commission in London. They will ask the Policy people in Canberra and get back to you. DIAC's advice may not be accurate but a migration agent's advice is not automatically accurate either. I'd say that common-sense is to take a straw poll on this question and include DIAC as one of the people whose views/interpretation you might poll.

Alternatively waiting for a year after Jamie obtains the AQF Diploma would dispose of this question via operation of time anyway.

With regard to the actual qualification, I know that a lot of people have now done/are doing the Orion Diploma in Business Administration and Vetassess accept that one without fail every time. As Cheryl says, the cost is about $1,500.

However please look at the content of the course and compare it with the content of the Diploma of Business Development course. The two courses are significantly different from each other in content and the Business Development one looks much more useful - long term - to me than the Business Admin course. Learning how to start up, develop and manage a business effectively seems much more useful to me than learning how to be an "Administrator" - an occupation which used to be known as a "Clerk."

People are opting for the Admin course because they want a visa, not because they actually want to learn anything from doing the course. Apparently the Business Development course is a bit more complicated and a bit more expensive but it does look to me like it is worth the extra cost, time and effort and that in the end it represents better value for money than the Admin course, I suspect.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

My interpretation of this is that if the Diploma is done by Recognised Prior Learning then I would argue that they must have the 'skilled level' of experience?

All those doing the AQFIII workplace assessments are only getting their diploma's now, they have to provide evidence of 4 years work experience by references and also 'on the job assessment'.

The Diploma modules are done by using peoples experience and knowledge and i would argue this with DIAC if they questioned the experience prior to the Diploma.

kind regards

Archived