transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

The devil's in the details!

I know I'm probably preaching to the converted as being in the RN we are constantly moving however I cannot stress enough that it is never too early to plan for the 'little things' that will trip you up at the end when time is precious (only 5 days left till our flight!!!) especially if you own your own home.

Just had keys cut for family, estate agent, builder etc etc and thought I'd try them in the locks first before giving them out -yep, an entire set had been cut incorrectly so back in the car, pay to park, new ones cut and another hour wasted on top of all the other hours wasted (people not turning up to view the car for sale etc etc) -these all add up so behind on the schedule and that plane doesn't wait...things will take twice as long as you think so anything you can do in advance is well worth doing. Dig out all documents you think you will need and scan onto a computer/file/shred/burn etc. Make a list of who needs to know a change of address etc. and buy lots of stamps/envelopes as when you need them the post office will be shut!

We're unusual as we were only told in January that OH wanted for June so it's all been a bit rushed -being compounded by having to sort out another house and builders being in great demand at the moment but I would say start getting everything ready 6 months (yes, 6 months!) in advance as this time will fly by and you will have enough to do for the removals/High Commission etc at the end anyway.

New mantra: It will get done, it will get done... :D

Hope everyone elses roller coaster ride is going as smoothly as it can and you are all enjoying the glorious sunshine that we are having. :cool:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi I have been on this site for well over a year.

We moved to Sydney nearly 6 years ago. We where told to move to this and that place b4 we got here. Well I didn't move to any of the areas that people told me where nice. We hired a car and drove around with the kids looking at houses and areas. From the northern beaches to the Sutherland shire.

People don't realise how big Sydney is until they get here. I would tell everyone to do the same. Just because one area is good for one family doesn't mean it will be good for you. Think very carefully b4 you lock a house down, its very hard to unlock it once done. Good luck with the move, hope everything goes well

We moved to Brisbane last October. We had a house locked in before arrival and thank goodness it was taken away from us (as it was re-classified as a 5 bedroom) a week before we flew. Turned out it would have been a relatively lengthy drive in to work (by Brisbane standards anyway). We actually went for a house we'd discounted in Homefind when we were back in the UK, and the houses we'd flagged as possibilities we hated. Don't make any decisions about where to live until you're on the ground.

Hi Guys.... I have yet another question! How long after you sent off the application did you hear anything back from the Aussies? We have had the standard 'thankyou for your application' e-mail but now is it just a waiting game or is there a set time frame to hear back??...

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys.... I have yet another question! How long after you sent off the application did you hear anything back from the Aussies? We have had the standard 'thankyou for your application' e-mail but now is it just a waiting game or is there a set time frame to hear back??...

Thanks in advance

Experiences vary, depending where in the recruitment cycle they are. We were at the 2011 interviews held in London. There were people there who had applied 2/3 years previously (they had shut off recruitment in the meantime), while the OH had only applied less than a month previously! The system is very different now though so do not take our experience as any indication.

• 3 weeks later...

* Update - Been in Sydney for 7 months now and it's amazing. OH joined RAN from RN and I left the RN and came across as a civvy.

There are many things that I wish we had of known prior to flying out but because we don't have kids we managed just fine. This forum and a few others were very helpful.

Recently there was a DCO meeting, (a meeting for Lateral RAN members and their families) there were many questions answered and a lot of generic points were identified. I believe steps are being put in place to disseminate useful info to future families.

A few useful websites:

Defence Families Association (http://www.dfa.org.au)

Defence bank

DCO

Australian Defence Credit Union (ADCU)

If you have any questions please feel free to ask on here or PM, but be aware any answers will be mine and my OHs opinion only!

Good Luck with your move, you won't regret it :-)

• 1 month later...

Next intake helpful hints.

Hi, we arrived Sydney 30 June and a few hints re what we found to be helpful in what to pack in suitcases: laundry marker pen (new uniforms), tiny stapler, sellotape, surge protected short extension lead with 5 plug sockets + 1 Aus adapter (so you can use your computers, mobile phone chargers etc straight away) -eventually you can just change the plugs on everything (bought plugs at Bunnings)

At the Airport there is the usual tourist info' desk which has booklets on 'what to do' which also had a really useful small inner city map/train map that you can rip out.

Don't pay the extortionate internet connection rates at the the temp' accommodation -you can get a good mobile/internet 'pay as you go' simm/dongle till you decide what package to eventually have at perm' home (be warned v. expensive compared with UK) We originally had 'Optus' (vodaphone uses this network also) but this had poor reception where we eventually ended up so we use TPG which uses the 'Telstra' network which has wider coverage. There seemed to be a lot of 'sales' on at that time with 'bundle' packages...which leads me on to my next point...HAGGLE everywhere -even in shops you wouldn't normally think to!

We had to leave a lot of our 'white goods' at home so bought them here from a shop called 2nds World -but all our appliances were new(!) -wise as delivery from several places can be expensive. Our delivery was $49 but others can be as much as $89

Get an 'Opal' train card as soon as you arrive as this will be cheaper and save worrying if you have $ change etc. Train transport here is fantastic, frequent and cheap (we went on a 2hr trip to Kiama and it only cost $5.76 each way!!!! We haven't bother getting a car yet as hubby catches the train to work and there are local shops etc. Hiring a car is also v. cheap (& petrol half the price!). Don't pre-book a hire car until you get the reduced RAN rates code (your contact can supply these).

Hubby also found walking to work (PSU) across town from the temp' accommodation (Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments) just as quick/good phys/more enjoyable etc than catching the train. Also all large shopping centres seem to be at a train station.

Hope this has helped.

Sea freight delivery next week -woohoo.

Congrats to everyone who has survived the roller coaster ride and good luck with the move -it will be worth it. :cool:

• 2 months later...
Has anyone here had the pleasure of filling out the "Toll" removals form? It seems I need to inventory all my possessions on it but there is next to no guidance on how to do so nor does it really specify how much detail is required.

This is a bit of a pain (understatement!) but it is worth it as you will be surprised at how much all your 'stuff' is worth! -especially important to make sure it is adequately insured (also look at individual item maximum ins' on policies). It took us 3 days+ to complete as you must include EVERYTHING (small things add up!). It helped to make a rough copy of individual items then you can easily group items together for the final amount in each section. We also took photo's of everything as if you need to make a claim later the packers don't really list contents or their condition very well on the boxes/ on their inventory list. The value of items needs to be the replacement cost in Aus$ and replacing them in Australia. Again make sure your ins' is 'new for old' and they don't deduct for the age of an item. It is difficult to know the value of an item in Australia so we worked out it's £ value then converted it if we couldn't find an equivalent (Wedding China that is no longer available). You also need to be aware of adding postage value if that item is unavailable in Aus' but also be aware that 'white' goods and beds etc are more expensive over here -hence lot's of internet research and it taking soooo long to complete!

Good luck with it -you're nearly there...:cool:

This is a bit of a pain (understatement!) but it is worth it as you will be surprised at how much all your 'stuff' is worth! -especially important to make sure it is adequately insured (also look at individual item maximum ins' on policies). It took us 3 days+ to complete as you must include EVERYTHING (small things add up!). It helped to make a rough copy of individual items then you can easily group items together for the final amount in each section. We also took photo's of everything as if you need to make a claim later the packers don't really list contents or their condition very well on the boxes/ on their inventory list. The value of items needs to be the replacement cost in Aus$ and replacing them in Australia. Again make sure your ins' is 'new for old' and they don't deduct for the age of an item. It is difficult to know the value of an item in Australia so we worked out it's £ value then converted it if we couldn't find an equivalent (Wedding China that is no longer available). You also need to be aware of adding postage value if that item is unavailable in Aus' but also be aware that 'white' goods and beds etc are more expensive over here -hence lot's of internet research and it taking soooo long to complete!

Good luck with it -you're nearly there...:cool:

Thanks for the reply! what did you do for all the niff naff and trivia 'stuff', i've got boxes of just 'stuff' random items which aren't really worth anything but I want to take all the same if that makes any sense.

So do pickfords still do the packing for you?

Thanks for the reply! what did you do for all the niff naff and trivia 'stuff', i've got boxes of just 'stuff' random items which aren't really worth anything but I want to take all the same if that makes any sense.

So do pickfords still do the packing for you?

We itemised EVERYTHING... even giving it a $0 or $1+ amount...you can 'lump' things together eg. 'ornaments' 'text books' etc. We had Pickfords but I know you can sometimes get another local company. They will do all the packing -just make sure you have seen the 'prohibited' list and make sure everything is cleaned to within an inch of it's life. We had a bit of a problem with Pickfords (long story) but expect the pack to be over a couple of days. Also when they come to survey the amount you have (pre move) ask that they bring with them the 2 different sizes of boxes you can have for air freight so you can see if what you want to pack will fit (hubby's sword just fit diagonally into the longer flatter box) again how many of these airfreight boxes you are entitled to will depend on your family size. Keeping these and anything else intended for suitcases etc aside in one corner (or in our case in our huge bathroom!) also means it won't be packed for shipment by accident.

It really helps to have a big box of biscuits and tea & coffee for the removers (get cheap throw away mugs from a charity shop for them)

When are you moving and which part of Aus'?

Hope that helps :cool:

This is going to be a longgggg list then! Ink cartridge refil set 1$..... etc

Prohibited list, is that the unacceptable items one? I see it says they won't move 'non portable items' items at the commonwealths expense, items such as TV's?? I have A LOT of tools I was planning on taking, looks like i'm going to have a fun time cleaning all them. Hopefully the removal process will be fairly straight forward as being a true naval orphan i'm living out of a room at my mums house and it's just me going!

I'm going to the High Commission on the 7th of January so I guess i'll be flying on the 8th? and Perth is where i'm going.

thanks for the info.

Hi and welcome. We have been here 6 years. We also marked and took pics of everything. It was meant to be a two day pack but my husband and I helped wrap and pack, it was done a lot faster that way. As for cleaning things, I think it depends on the packers and who you get this end, OZ. My husband brought all his tools with him, he paid a lot of money for them, all snap-on, he didn't clean them all just a few of the things. I found pickfords great, I brought my dogs ashes with me that they wrapped, was meant to get it in writing what it was but we didn't. Like I said it all depends on who you get. Hope that helps, and good luck with the move :)

This is going to be a longgggg list then! Ink cartridge refil set 1$..... etc

Prohibited list, is that the unacceptable items one? I see it says they won't move 'non portable items' items at the commonwealths expense, items such as TV's?? I have A LOT of tools I was planning on taking, looks like i'm going to have a fun time cleaning all them. Hopefully the removal process will be fairly straight forward as being a true naval orphan i'm living out of a room at my mums house and it's just me going!

I'm going to the High Commission on the 7th of January so I guess i'll be flying on the 8th? and Perth is where i'm going.

thanks for the info.

They said that to us re the TV's (& furniture!) but when we queried it they said that it was a mistake and they will ship all belongings. Check your insurance re packing items yourself as sometimes they will only cover it if it's packed by the removal company.

They usually are very strict on imports to Aus' and will be looking at anything that will have been in contact with wood, soil etc. It helps to clean them with a sterilising solution such as Jeys fluid or Milton and make sure everything is very dry. A friends boots didn't pass (don't forget that it may take up to 2-3 months for sea freight to arrive so sometimes mould can appear) and he had a choice of charge $75 to destroy them or $300 to irradiate them to keep them! -so you make your choices and take your chances. I guess if you don't have much to ship then you will be able to pack more in your airfreight and suitcases (we had one suitcase just full of shoes :D )

Usually you travel to London the day before signing on and stay overnight in a hotel then sign on at Aus' house the next morning. Your flight then tends to be that day (ours 5pm) but you'll get confirmation which route you are taking (via Hong Kong or Dubai etc) Traveling Business Class you can take 2x suitcases (15-20kg) and carry on (think 10kg?) We flew Cathay Pacific and had a wonderful time (lounges have free food/drink showers etc).

How fabby for you -a New Year and a new life! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally completed the Toll form, what a load of rubbish it is! I found there was nowhere near enough space to list all items and had to add several pages. 2 full pages for linen and clothes yet about 8 lines for electrical goods!

Has anybody shipped any additional items with their possessions not they won;t pay for eg. motorbike etc, I had heard you can pay the shipping company extra to put it with your belongings and I have queried it 3 times now but the High Commission poc is clearly ignoring it.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, really glad I found this site, am hoping someone will have some advice, as I am a bit confused at the moment!

Basically, husband has been offered and accepted a job in RAN, given a date they want him over by (24 June 2015), we have our visas (him, me and two kids) and thought that was it...before Xmas he got an email asking for dental records again, as they had been lost by RAN and they 'need to square everything away by Apr 2015'. This was promptly sent but despite further emails, we haven't had any acknowledgement of receipt yet. When DH asked about the stuff which needed to be 'squared away by Apr' he was told that although his application to RAN has been accepted, it is contingent on all three phases of the process (medical, security/immigration, administrative[interviews,COS,posting])....

So does this mean he's not actually got the job yet? If they only finalise (and presumably give us the go ahead) by Apr it would only give us a couple of months to get organised, and obviously he has already given his notice in at RN! Has anyone had a similar experience, or have any advice? Am feeling rather in limbo at the moment, not sure where to start (or whether I should be doing anything yet at all!?!).

• 2 months later...
Hi all, really glad I found this site, am hoping someone will have some advice, as I am a bit confused at the moment!

Basically, husband has been offered and accepted a job in RAN, given a date they want him over by (24 June 2015), we have our visas (him, me and two kids) and thought that was it...before Xmas he got an email asking for dental records again, as they had been lost by RAN and they 'need to square everything away by Apr 2015'. This was promptly sent but despite further emails, we haven't had any acknowledgement of receipt yet. When DH asked about the stuff which needed to be 'squared away by Apr' he was told that although his application to RAN has been accepted, it is contingent on all three phases of the process (medical, security/immigration, administrative[interviews,COS,posting])....

So does this mean he's not actually got the job yet? If they only finalise (and presumably give us the go ahead) by Apr it would only give us a couple of months to get organised, and obviously he has already given his notice in at RN! Has anyone had a similar experience, or have any advice? Am feeling rather in limbo at the moment, not sure where to start (or whether I should be doing anything yet at all!?!).

I Saw your post, and was wondering how you entually got on? I've just started the process again, after being passed over last year, and am about to continue to an interview tommorow, which is one stage further than my last attempt. If anyone is checking this post, and been interviewed recently, i wouldn't mind some pointers.

I Saw your post, and was wondering how you entually got on? I've just started the process again, after being passed over last year, and am about to continue to an interview tommorow, which is one stage further than my last attempt. If anyone is checking this post, and been interviewed recently, i wouldn't mind some pointers.

hi there, just wondering how you got on?

Hubby has his interview tomorrow

any tips?

Hi,

not much further on than last time, really! All the medical records went out of date recently, so needed to be redone and submitted (another last minute 'panic' email from the RAN liaison). We have an interview with the visiting RAN board next week (husband is the navy one, but I'm in there for 30 mins with him) and I think this is the final hurdle. They still haven't replied to emails asking if they have received the records though, so I guess we assume all is well until we get another panic email! Hope your interview went well, I would be interested to hear what you got asked?!

Hi All,

Has anyone (or does anyone know anyone) who went over as a Leading Hand? I left in 2011 as a LET(WE). I have submitted an interest form from the website but didn't get anything back by email at all, how long does that usually take?

Looking at the website It does look like they are short of Electronic Techs at LH hand level.

Thanks,

Tom.

Hi All,

Has anyone (or does anyone know anyone) who went over as a Leading Hand? I left in 2011 as a LET(WE). I have submitted an interest form from the website but didn't get anything back by email at all, how long does that usually take?

Looking at the website It does look like they are short of Electronic Techs at LH hand level.

Thanks,

Tom.

When did you send your EOI in? They have been in uk recently conducting interviews, so it may delay the response.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone had a LOO / COS from the recent batch of interviews as yet?

Hi there, No we have not received or heard anything yet. I know they would have been busy with Easter Leave and Anzac day celebrations. Hopefully May lol

Im putting it as no news is good news

• 5 months later...
Guest Dele1411

Just applied for the ran, board doesn't sit until dec, joining as engineer officer. Do you know how long it take for them to get back to you after the board?

Been told if successful will be April or sep 2017

They usually get back to within a month i remember after my interview at Australia House, london it was about a month until they got back to me. My flight leaves in the coming Jan so to put it into context i first made an expression of interest in feb 2014 so it does take a while because of all the visa process and security checks etc. where are you based at the moment?-glad to offer any help or advice as i had friends who already transferred do the same for me.

Guest Dele1411

Hi, I'm based in Abbey Wood at the minute and submitted all my paperwork for the December board. How was the condition of Service; was it what you were expecting with seniority etc. Where are you based at the minute? Exciting times ahead for you, do you know where you are going to be based? I've been speaking to a few that are over there but more info the better. Thanks in advance.

Archived