permission to buy secondy hand/used propert

basil

Hi,

just wondered how easy it is to get permission (likelyhood of it being given) to buy an established residential dwelling to live in (or second hand v's new as its referred to on the buraus site)

has anyone done this or do most people buy lamd/ off plan?

Hiya i think it partly depends on what type of visa you hold ,we have permant residency and have just bought a re-sale house,didnt fancy the idea of having one built due to hiden extras ,was no problems and the sale went through in a couple of weeks ,hope this helps

Cal x

god just spotted my awful typos in the thread title. sorry.

thanks for the reply. It's 4 years though for PR right? I'm more thinking of when we first arrive on a 136 (hopefully!!). Having lived abroad before i find it quite unsettling renting (and i prefer older properties to new) so i'm hoping we'd get permission to buy before the 4 years. Aus is fingers crossed a permanent ove for us.

We would have the money so no loans required - would that help?

The website does say permission is given but i'm kind of wondering just how rare or common it is???

Guest BullcreekBob
I'm more thinking of when we first arrive on a 136 (hopefully!!).

G'day

The 136 visa is a permanent visa. You can deal in real estate restricted only by your budget and your whim.

Cheers

Bob in Bull Creek

Oh ok. Thanks for replying. I thought that you still had to apply for permanent residency and that could only come after 4 years of being in the country. But the 136 is automatic, so its just the employer sponsored one where you have the wait/ house issues?

I want the 136 even more now ;)

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Its confusing ,i know,,the 136 skilled ind gives you permant residency from when you enter oz,you are free to go wherever and do whatever but you must wait 2 yrs for residency (if living here from day 1),you are also entitled to benefit on this visa as soon as you arrive,i know some of the reginol and sponser visa's have different stipulations so if you are eligible for 136 ind ,i would try for that one ,hope this helps

Cal x

All,

I've been asked to clarify certain issues here:

1. A 136 is a permanent visa from the date it is granted. There is no 4-year wait for this visa to become permanent. There is no need to apply for a further permanent visa other than a resident return visa or citizenship if travel plans are forthcoming close to the expiration of the travel facility of the permanent visa. See http://ptlabs.topcities.com/faq0.html#rrv005 for more about RRVs.

2. Based on today's rules and laws, a holder of a 136 visa (i.e. a permanent resident) becomes eligible for citizenship not residency after spending:

a) at least two years out of the five years immediately before applying for citizenship

and

b) out of that two years, at least one year must have been within the last 2 years immediately before applying for citizenship

as a permanent resident of Australia.

The new Australian Citizenship Act due to take effect soon-ish will change the residence requirements for citizenship, but that's another story.

Peter

Archived