Culture shock

Guest luluc

It's not just about you sweetheart. I'm guessing Quolls post was a polite way of saying that the reason you have a problem understanding why others may not be as enthusiastic about Australia is because you live in your life surrounded by familiar things, socialize with POMs, and chat with virtual pommy friends on the internet. This is fine and i am sure everyone here is happy for you.

Patronizing.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So where do you get the idea that women in the country stay in the kitchen, maybe some do but they are the lucky ones. Most country women are out their fencing and running farms alongside their husbands. Computers are used in farming these days its a highly technical business. When they are in town they are in the bars and with the men. I am often in a country town visiting my son and I do not see any difference there to what it is like in the city. Its 2009 and most country people are educated and have degrees these days.

Also culture shock when I returned to live in the UK I got a culture shock as well it works both ways.

Australia is not the UK its Australia and Australian people are very nice people and always willing to give a hand and they are not impressed easily.

So what is the difference, not being impressed would be the main one. They accept people for who they are not what they are.

Just because the language is English does not mean that Aussies want to be English or have British culture, they do not. The culture comes from the many nationalities that make up the nation.

In Melbourne people dress up and its a climate thing, why would you dress up when its humid and you feel wet all the time and your makeup runs down your face like it does in the tropics.

It's not just about you sweetheart. I'm guessing Quolls post was a polite way of saying that the reason you have a problem understanding why others may not be as enthusiastic about Australia is because you live in your life surrounded by familiar things, socialize with POMs, and chat with virtual pommy friends on the internet. This is fine and i am sure everyone here is happy for you.

ask a silly question, and all that.........i live my life in Australia, I work with Australians, I have Australian mates......i may be blonde....but i still dont understand some of the strange comments left on here.....I promess to close my eyes everytime i walk past the tourist attraction that is known as the operah house!

Guest Donna & John

Just a quick question.. if Emma isnt seeing the real Australia cause of where she lives is there anywhere in the UK that you would live and not see the real UK??

Also Emma I am really happy for you and that is not said with a patronizing tone of voice, it is totally genuine.. your living my dream lol

Donna x

Just a quick question.. if Emma isnt seeing the real Australia cause of where she lives is there anywhere in the UK that you would live and not see the real UK??

Donna x

Interesting question!.................answer is.............

Donna x

Considering the uk wouldnt even cover WA nowhere near , the different cultures and lives thro Australia are different go to the regional areas in the outback and hinterland and the differences to the coastal cities is evident . The people in these areas have grown up there thro generations , not many migrants go there because the life is hard and isolated

You can drive across the uk at one go , try it in Oz need one big mother of a petrol tank

Mally

Why can you never simply just reply to a thread....why do you need to pick on people......why do you need to have what you have as your status??.......your life in costa bleeding brava must be very boring??>>>>you are a very rude man.

Guest Donna & John

Mally..

Not picking but just interested lol What defines the 'real' oz with 'real' culture? Deepest darkest outback? or inner city?

donna x

Why can you never simply just reply to a thread....why do you need to pick on people......why do you need to have what you have as your status??.......your life in costa bleeding brava must be very boring??>>>>you are a very rude man.

costa bleeding del sol actually:cute:

come on em' lets be friends..:hug:. We can't all agree with each other hey?

costa bleeding del sol actually

come on em' lets be friends..:hug:. We can't all agree with each other hey?

I wasnt wanting all people to agree with me.......i was asking why because i said i lived in Sydney near the opera house and sydney bridge it means i need to go meet real australians......im still waiting for the answer.....is it hot there????.....u got your beer belly out on your deck chair????....:wubclub:

Guest Donna & John
I wasnt wanting all people to agree with me.......i was asking why because i said i lived in Sydney near the opera house and sydney bridge it means i need to go meet real australians......

Cause theres no australians in Sydney :tongue:

Sorry its been a bad day so far and its only 11am here:eek:

Donna x

Australia is australia it is not the uk with better weather and we don't want to be. I am wondering and this is a honest question..do most people start the immigration process (and then move) without ever going to Australia? You would expect life to be different in china just because we all speak english doesn't mean its the same...well done to all of you who are making the most and enjoying life in Oz.

Oz is a new country to Western culture obviously natives been here thousands of years, the size perspective is the key take WAfor instance you have Perth metro and the south western coastal towns , melting pot of all migrants ,pomsville as it has been called but go inland to the gascoyne, the wheat belt and the mining areas, these are 6 hour drives Kalgoorlie prob nearest is 6 hour drive not many migrants . North WA the Kimberley and the Pilbara , a flight to get there and again not many migrate there , there are communities there, Australians and not a lot of us immigrunts

One more point do you class benidorm as the real spain . Dont know if you have been here but the parspective of the place changes when you start moving around . ON the map my mate lives not far google distance 1200 klicks

Mally

Cause theres no australians in Sydney :tongue:

Sorry its been a bad day so far and its only 11am here

Donna x

You been to Sydney........???:goofy:...lots of Australains here: Its Australaia!!!, and many many other natonalities here as well!!.....you in the UK??.....is it cold....family just went back to Uk after a holdiday here....there freezing there ass off! x

Guest Donna & John

Hiya Nicloe...

Yeah that would be us, going for a recce when visa has been granted but otherwise never been there before!!

Expect life to be very different.. but we are going with the expectation of it being very hard to begin with!

Donna x

Guest PommieLady

Whenever I meet an Australian who's lived in the UK they've usually (about 95%) lived in London, they've socalised with other Aussies, and I've recently found out it is becoming increasingly common for Australians to meet their Australian partner whilst in the UK :biglaugh:

As soon as you (Emmap) mentioned that you live in the heart of Sydney I understood why you didn't find any real culture differences between the UK and Australia. I agree with Quoll before you make such an innocent statement you should perhaps go and live not visit as a tourist where the ordinary Australians live. You then would notice the huge cultural differences, and I must say all the Australians I know would be insulted to hear that Australia has no identifiable culture separate from the UK.

Guest Donna & John
You been to Sydney........???:goofy:...lots of Australains here: Its Australaia!!!, and many many other natonalities here as well!!.....you in the UK??.....is it cold....family just went back to Uk after a holdiday here....there freezing there ass off! x

HAHAHA funny thing that... Australians in Australia lol:laugh:

Yep were still in the uk, just beginning the process and yes am freezing my ass off!!!

Donna x

Mea culpa, it was a joke! You really dont get much cultural difference in the international metropolitan areas and I dont suppose you would expect to. There is a whole world of Australia out there that many migrants never even get a sniff of and it really is culturally quite different from what people in the cities see as normal.

Nothing like a chook raffle in a small country town on a Friday night to give you the quintessential Australia which is a world apart from what is, I hate to say it, the tourist destination of the Opera House or Harbour Bridge - or, for that matter Parliament House or the South Bank or the miles of golden beaches of the Gold Coast. I actually think it is quite sad that people dont go and stay in Oodnadatta and Delegate and the hundreds of other small towns and just get a look at how the other half live - there lies the culture shock. There is more substance in places like that due to the people who made the land rather than the buildings that everyone ogles and takes a zillion pictures of.

I am sorry if you didnt get the joke, it wasnt meant to be patronizing, just in response to the comment that I hadnt sold you Australia by describing how many real Australians live. Go out and stay in the bush for a while and get a real taste for it.

Edited to say, there are more migrants to the square inch in Sydney than anywhere else in the world I should think! The NSW folk are a bit ticked off that there are so many because it costs them mega bucks for the infrastructure to support them.

Whenever I meet an Australian who's lived in the UK they've usually (about 95%) lived in London, they've socalised with other Aussies, and I've recently found out it is becoming increasingly common for Australians to meet their Australian partner whilst in the UK :biglaugh:

As soon as you (Emmap) mentioned that you live in the heart of Sydney I understood why you didn't find any real culture differences between the UK and Australia. I agree with Quoll before you make such an innocent statement you should perhaps go and live not visit as a tourist where the ordinary Australians live. You then would notice the huge cultural differences, and I must say all the Australians I know would be insulted to hear that Australia has no identifiable culture separate from the UK.

Thanks for the reply, at least an answer!!....the innocent statment was simply just me saying where i live...in AUSTRALIA....maybe i didnt get out what i wanted to say correctly....when i say there is no cultural differences i meant for example if you go live in the middle east, you will see the cultural difference, here in oz it is not so oviouse as that.....it was acutually a compliment to the Australians as i was saying i find it very easy to live here, the people are very helpful, friendly, a good laugh,the counrty is beautiful,for me a very easy place to get on...i see no reason to go and visit a small town to make myself think that i have now seen REAL australian people and life....i think the city living Australians would be insulted with that statment.....there are pleanty of ORDINARY Australians that live here in Sydney...it is after all AUSTRALIA.....

HI Donna

I am quite surprised because I don't think that you are alone in doing this I wish you the best of luck and keep an open mind. I am australian grew up in a small town..(didn't go to mcDonalds until I was 17 and had left home). I am also an australian currently living in uk...I know no other australians here socialize with only with locals. We are planning to move to sydney (work) it will different australia to the one I grew up in . I think you are right to expect it to be very hard...we are and we have family and friends already to fall back on...gone are the days of making your fortune down under doesn't mean you won't be happy and enjoy life

Archived