Culture shock

Guest luluc

Okay, so, I'm just putting my feelers out towards what to expect with the social life and culture, especially with transferring from Britain. I've talked to a lot of individuals who have switched their residency, and they all say the same thing... the biggest factor is getting used to the culture shock and the differences from Britain to Australia. So, what are the biggest things to get used to in terms of culture? What are the main differences I should mentally be preparing myself for?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No towns as such each with their own high street and hub of activity and nightlife. Each suburb will have a shopping mall/forum and in general you won't have an english type pub on your doorstep, different in the city but certainly in suburbia it's not's like living in a town in the UK.

Distance ... particularly in WA you need a car to get about to go to visit people (unless they live around the corner). No 24 hour supermarket shopping in WA and you can't buy your food and wine in the same shop - you have to go to the bottle shop for your alcohol

I'm sure people will have others to contribute

Ali

Guest spottymercedes

Puppies in pet store windows ready for impulse buys whilst dogs are put to sleep at the pound.

This was the worst culture shock for me.

Guest Working to fish
Okay, so, I'm just putting my feelers out towards what to expect with the social life and culture, especially with transferring from Britain. I've talked to a lot of individuals who have switched their residency, and they all say the same thing... the biggest factor is getting used to the culture shock and the differences from Britain to Australia. So, what are the biggest things to get used to in terms of culture? What are the main differences I should mentally be preparing myself for?

ok i see you are new so i will be gentle with you.

Right for starters here goes.

For get about shoes they don't were um ,even when shopping.

You have to drink any time of the day.

Sausages are crap ,but you have to eat them ,its the ozzie way.

Hair dont worry cos no one else does.

Tv ,forget it.

will be back later with more great info.

eddie:wacko:

I will be honest....i dont get this culture differnce thing over here????.......i came here to try a new life, and have never once thought it is a complete different culture to the Uk......i think its better than the UK for me, but never really suffered any culture worries as i dont seem to find any......now if i moved to the middle east, id get the culture differnce thing......anyone else feel the same or not???.........

Guest PommieLady

The culture shock will depend on how much culture you expose yourself to. If you're going to move into a lovely suburb with other immigrants and professionals and lots of poms then the culture shock will be minimised.

We lived country first of, and were very lucky to make firm friends with a lovely Australian couple. We are still in regular contact and holiday together even though we are not in the same state. Real Australian lifestyle is very very different to the UK on loads of levels.

You can't really prepare for the culture shock all you can do is remain open minded, never compare and always enquire. Basically don't bring the UK with you.

:wubclub:

Stef

x

The biggest shock for me was the Aussies slack (call it laid back if it feels better) attitude in their personal demeanour , mainly getting dressed to leave the house, personal hygiene, and use of the English language. The lack of history is bearable but the people are, unfortunately not.

The biggest shock for me was the Aussies slack (call it laid back if it feels better) attitude in their personal demeanour , mainly getting dressed to leave the house, personal hygiene, and use of the English language. The lack of history is bearable but the people are, unfortunately not.

Really....?.....i see some skanky looking things around, but really think that the people in Sydney really dress up a lot (in fact, really ott)...i havent seen this sort of thing in Sydney?...

I guess it depends where you go , around here if you plaster yourself in make-up and get all dolled up you stand out like a sore thumb,lol,to be honest i quite like the fact you dont have to spend hours getting ready to go shopping and yes i will admit i have nipped to the local shop in my slippers!

I have been to some parts of Brisbane where what Aldo says is right, but thankfully its not like this everywhere although i would imagine there is a 'dodgy' suburb in every state just like the UK.

Cal x

Really....?.....i see some skanky looking things around, but really think that the people in Sydney really dress up a lot (in fact, really ott)...i havent seen this sort of thing in Sydney?...

Granted, the "skankies" are less common in Sydney and Melbourne but they do exist, maybe the cafe you work in attracts the better dressed of the Sydney set?

Granted, the "skankies" are less common in Sydney and Melbourne but they do exist, maybe the cafe you work in attracts the better dressed of the Sydney set?

Definalty not!!!......its Oxford Street....winos and whores!!, there the skanks im on about!.....am in a differnt area now, broadway working......definatly better class of people there....

Definalty not!!!......its Oxford Street....winos and whores!!, there the skanks im on about!.....am in a differnt area now, broadway working......definatly better class of people there....

..and how do the skanky winos and whores of Oxford St compare to the winos and whores of Brisbane or say, London?

From experience I can say that the whores of Kings Cross, Sydney and Australia in general are far inferior to the ones found in Europe.

..and how do the skanky winos and whores of Oxford St compare to the winos and whores of Brisbane or say, London?

From experience I can say that the whores of Kings Cross, Sydney and Australia in general are far inferior to the ones found in Europe.

Dont they say thank you

Are we talking about the quality of the whores????????? .......i find the whores and winos ok here.....in london...wow!!....they would stab you to get some money of you for there next hit, here they just leave you alone really, keeep with in there own groups......some would say great, otheres wouldnt!........just been out in kings cross sydney tonight, was full of all young whores hanging out in there underwear....i dont find it a scary place to walk through, if it was london, then no, i wouldnt walk through an area like that.........

No timed local calls (that was the first thing I noticed) - all a flat rate. Mind you not too many public phones these days as everyone walks around glued to their mobiles and those that still remain rarely work.

The segregation of men and women especially at parties and bars (the more rural ones) - as a woman you get a distinctly odd look if you go into a country pub and sit amongst the wrong lot.

The fact that your next door neighbour can be 10 minutes drive away (not in Canberra thank heavens but my son and my brother in law both live in places where "next door" is a long drive)

Some of our "highways" arent sealed.

You would happily drive 4 hours each way for a day out.

The people in the queue at the supermarket check out dont want to engage with eye contact let alone a chat.

If you dont drink you are a wowser

Obviously, the more you surround yourself with like minded folk and choose places which are full to the brim with Pommie migrants then the less of a culture shock you will experience. Get out there away from the bling of the tourist resorts and experience some real country towns and you will find that "real" Australia is quite a different country.

No timed local calls (that was the first thing I noticed) - all a flat rate. Mind you not too many public phones these days as everyone walks around glued to their mobiles and those that still remain rarely work.

The segregation of men and women especially at parties and bars (the more rural ones) - as a woman you get a distinctly odd look if you go into a country pub and sit amongst the wrong lot.

The fact that your next door neighbour can be 10 minutes drive away (not in Canberra thank heavens but my son and my brother in law both live in places where "next door" is a long drive)

Some of our "highways" arent sealed.

You would happily drive 4 hours each way for a day out.

The people in the queue at the supermarket check out dont want to engage with eye contact let alone a chat.

If you dont drink you are a wowser

Obviously, the more you surround yourself with like minded folk and choose places which are full to the brim with Pommie migrants then the less of a culture shock you will experience. Get out there away from the bling of the tourist resorts and experience some real country towns and you will find that "real" Australia is quite a different country.

Your not selling it to me!!......think ill stick to city living......no complaints....

Next year im planning to travel around Australia for a few months, will see some idea of what others think and see.....

Your not selling it to me!!......think ill stick to city living......no complaints....

Next year im planning to travel around Australia for a few months, will see some idea of what others think and see.....

Aw shucks, I thought folk were coming here for Australia not some touristy paradise:biglaugh:

Aw shucks, I thought folk were coming here for Australia not some touristy paradise:biglaugh:

hehehe....i live in the centre of sydney....seeing the opera house and sydney bridge is just part of everyday life now...see it everday, and still dont get board of it!!....if thats what you mean by touristy paradise then all that time saving to come here and the sad goodbyes have all been worth while!!.....i couldnt ask for any more than to have the veiw that i do, and sit by the opera house in the warm evenings with a glass of cold beer......

hehehe....i live in the centre of sydney....seeing the opera house and sydney bridge is just part of everyday life now...see it everday, and still dont get board of it!!....if thats what you mean by touristy paradise then all that time saving to come here and the sad goodbyes have all been worth while!!.....i couldnt ask for any more than to have the veiw that i do, and sit by the opera house in the warm evenings with a glass of cold beer......

LOL you need to get out more and meet real Australians!

LOL you need to get out more and meet real Australians!

I really dont understand some remarks that are left on this site.......why is it if you r happy, people want to make out its because your an idiot and living life through "rose tinted glasses" not because of the real reason....some people really do have a nice, happy life...i dont understand ur comment about getting out and meeting real Australians???.....i live in Australia!!....why is it a crime to live near tourist attractions??....why do i need to live in the bush or some country town to be really living in Australia???....Australia is a country made up of cities, towns, bush.....people have the choice to live in many differnt areas....i chose the city as i have always lived in the city and would not wish to live in a small quiet area....visit yes,live no.......please explain your reasons for me needing to get out and meet real Australians, your remark is very strange??!

I really dont understand some remarks that are left on this site.......why is it if you r happy, people want to make out its because your an idiot and living life through "rose tinted glasses" not because of the real reason....some people really do have a nice, happy life...i dont understand ur comment about getting out and meeting real Australians???.....i live in Australia!!....why is it a crime to live near tourist attractions??....why do i need to live in the bush or some country town to be really living in Australia???....Australia is a country made up of cities, towns, bush.....people have the choice to live in many differnt areas....i chose the city as i have always lived in the city and would not wish to live in a small quiet area....visit yes,live no.......please explain your reasons for me needing to get out and meet real Australians, your remark is very strange??!

It's not just about you sweetheart. I'm guessing Quolls post was a polite way of saying that the reason you have a problem understanding why others may not be as enthusiastic about Australia is because you live in your life surrounded by familiar things, socialize with POMs, and chat with virtual pommy friends on the internet. This is fine and i am sure everyone here is happy for you.

Archived