Calling all Cat Lovers/Owners! - What are your thoughts?

frizzy1

O.k, need some advice from fellow cat lovers.

A bit of background......

I am leaving in May to go travelling around the World and then we will be ending up in Sydney around November time and staying for 12 months on a tourist visa (whilst waiting for other visa to come through). I will be popping back to the UK after the 12 months in Sydney is up to sort a few things out. So we will be out of the UK until November 2010 (18 months)

I have a cat which I adore, she is like the child I never had (yes said I know but fellow cat lovers will understand). She is 11 and currently in good health. I have had her since she was a kitten and she has been there for me through all of the ups and downs life has thrown at me during my 36 years.

She will be staying at my home in the UK with friends who conveniently are going to rent the house for a minimum of 2 years. At least she will be in an environment she knows so this should reduce the amount of stress she has to go through.

I am already getting upset at the thought of not seeing my cat for 18 months and giving my cat to my friends, even though she will be well looked after. I have even considered calling it all off and staying in drizzly UK because i miss my cat so so much.

My initial plan was to bring her over to Oz with me in 18 months time once I am more settled. This has gone some way to easing the emotional upset of giving her to my friends with the knowledge that I will have her again.

BUT..... last night my OH said, "she will hate it over there, its too hot, we will be in a flat (because of cost of housing in Sydney) and never be around much as we will be enjoying the outdoor life, its likely we wont have a garden and if we did the wildlife might kill her if the locals dont..... plus she wont remember you by the time you come to get her.......

Is he right? Should I just accept the fact that I will have to give up my cat in May and thats that? Is it fair on the cat to move her in 18 months time just for my own selfish needs?

The trouble is, at the moment, I am not sure i can make the decision to leave her, its just too upsetting but on the otherhand dont want to miss out on the opportunity of a life time.......

I am not looking for answers but just some thoughts from fellow Cat owners in Oz/UK - what would you do?

Did you take your cat or leave her behind and regret it?

Sorry for the long post!

Thanksx

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi we have 2 elderly cats who are 12 in spring and may be 13 by the time we can go to Oz. We have already factored in the cost 2K of taking them and were worried about quarantine and settling in especially as one of them is timid. But we could not bear to leave them - unless vet tells us no go. We are looking at Melbourne and they have cat curfews there, some even 24hr so they will be inside most of the time with us so wildlife will not be an issue much I hope and at least they will be with our family as well. I would say go any have your trip and see what you think after tthis and if the cat is still ok and you miss it still? A lot to put it through, but lots have done it and they seem happy. My sis did it with 2 cats and 2 dogs to USA.

Julie x

We've been here 2 years and we brought our cat Becky with us - she'll be 18 in April. We couldn't have imagined leaving her in the UK, although had the vet said it wasn't in her best interest my in laws would have had her. She's been fine here, and we've recently been getting 40 degree heat in WA, she manages to find cool/shady spots and we always ensure she has lots of water. I can understand how you feel about your cat - we've had our longer than we've had our children.

She was extreamly well looked after in Quarentine by the way and looked fit and healthy when we picked her up.

Ali

Hi both and thanks for your reply.

Its reassuring to hear from people who have taken their cats no matter what and that the cats are enjoying themselves.

If there wasnt such a gap between me leaving my cat and potentially being able to pick her up and take her out to Oz, I wouldnt even be questionning it and she'd be on the first plane over!

I guess I know I will miss her so much and that in 18 months time, it might be best to leave her in the UK although my heart says no way (unless of course the vet says no!).

So I have decided to proceed with plan and go travelling and try and make sure my puss cat is well looked after whilst I am gone and then come and rescue her in 18 months time!

I know some people will think I am mad but unless she doesnt remember me or is ill, then I intend to bring her to Oz.

Thanks again, it really helped x

Archived