best place for us?

Guest The Wrights

Guest The Wrights

I know its a long shot but we are researching where best we as a fmaily are wanting to settle for our first 2 years in Aus.

We want to have fairly easy accss to - city, beach and snow. We also have a 2 year old so lots to do would need to be in there. We dont mind driving a few hours to any of them so we know Vic has to be the place. Its where?

Does anyone currently know of anywhere that could be suitable?

Or what do people thing of the following?

Geelong, Frankston, Moe, Wodonga

Thank you x :twitcy:

Wodonga - 4 hours from the beach and very much "country" oriented, Geelong 3 - 4 hours from the snow but close to the beach. Dont know Frankston very well but it has never appealed to me - looks like Gippsland could be your best bet as closer to the snow and the beach. Not sure about Moe though, bordering on the coal mines. Where will you be working? that would seem to be the crucial aspect of all this. I like Gippsland, especially the futher eastern parts close to the Snowy but I dont have small kids and suspect that both job opportunities and opportunities for kids is going to be a bit limited the further east you go.

Assume you have thought about Ballarat and Bendigo too - or even Wangaratta/Benalla if you are thinking of going up as far as Wodonga. Obviously the further north you go the further you get from the beach.

(Dont suppose you've thought about Canberra? not Victoria but 2 hours to beach, 2 hours to snow and lots to do for kids:biglaugh:)

South Frankston is very nice and close to everything on the Peninsula, has the beach etc. Train to the city everything you want.

Albury in New South Wales is nicer than Wodonga its just over the river they are together but the Albury side is best in my view and close to the snow. My son lives on the Murray in a small town loves it and can get to the snow easy if he wants to. However there is no beach at all.

Wangaratta, Myrtleford, Bright, Mansfield, Alexandra are the towns for the snow but not near the beach.

Beach is Melbourne area and it would be easier to get to the snow if you lived in the western suburbs as you could get on the Hume Freeway very easily. Living down south in Frankston its a at least an hours drive to just get on the Hume Freeway.

Good luck

Guest treesea

The north eastern suburbs of Melbourne would be good for the snow, because you take the back route, through Healesville, to get to Mt Buller (nearest decent snow fields) so no need to take a trek up the Hume Freeway and cuts a bit off the journey time wise. Even though Melbourne is "on the sea", real beaches, as in on the ocean rather than on the bay (the latter can be a bit dubious for swimming quality of water wise) are quite a trek away - 90km to Portsea on the penisula, and 75 km or so to Torquay just past Geelong.

Canberra, alas, is also a bit of a trek to the sea but it is closer to much better ski fields (Perisher).

If you wanted to live on the coast and close to the NSW ski fields, but not in a city, then Bermagui or Merimbula would be really nice places to live. I'm not really into Albury/Wodonga. They both seem a bit dull whenever I have stayed there, usually en route to somewhere else.

Guest treesea

I would recommend forgetting Moe, and the same goes for Sale (next biggish town) , and Gippsland in general. If Australia goes into recession, the country areas get hit the hardest.

Guest spottymercedes
I would recommend forgetting Moe, and the same goes for Sale (next biggish town) , and Gippsland in general. If Australia goes into recession, the country areas get hit the hardest.

We recently travelled through Gippsland from Pakenham across through Traralgon, Sale and Bairnsdale and stopped at Lakes Entrance. I thought they were all beautiful areas, especially Lakes Entrance and Traralgon, but it did seem a long way. Although if you live there it probably doesn't matter that its a long way out as its where you live and there is a lot there. I was expecting them to be small places, but they were quite busy and big, especially Traralgon. I'm not sure about what happens here in a recession, I guess the same as everywhere else, but I thought that if you were looking for somewhere a bit different than the Melbourne suburbs these were good places to look at.

G'day mate. Might I suggest SE NSW from Wollongong south to Eden? Some tremendous beaches, spectacular scenery and closer to the snowfields than the places mentioned earlier.

Wollongong:

Wollongong, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Batemans Bay:

Batemans Bay, South Coast NSW, Australia

Uladulla:

Ulladulla Mollymook Milton Shoalhaven South Coast NSW

Narooma:

Narooma, NSW, Accommodation, Tours, Events and Hire

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Wrights

all very very heful replies thank you - will check out the places on the net.

By the way im in education and my husband is a cook. We have friends in Bright so can go and visit there, but probably wouldnt want to live there.

Thank you!!

Guest The Pom Queen

After just travelling from Melbourne to Sydney, some of the places that really jumped out at me were Paynesville, Eden and Huskisson on Jervis Bay.

Archived