victoria

the dougans

hi there we are new to pio but it is a great site so far. we are a family of 4 kids 9 and 2 years our skilled visa was lodged beg december health and police checks are next so should hopefully get visa by june. anyway we fancy melbourne is it good for families. anyone out there been to frankston or frankston south or seaford we fancy being near the beach and these suburbs seem more affordable. are they good with plenty for kids? are we thinking in right area? we have never been to oz before. we are also trying to get my mum a sponcer but she is 55 years and we worried she wont get but cant leave her on her own in scotland . any advise anyone?:jiggy:

hi dougans,

Frankston on the Mornington Peninsula is a good value suburb, and all the surrounding suburbs (Mt. Martha, Mt. Eliza,

Mornington) are all gettable to the city if need be, and there is a new toll road which is quick to everywhere, or on the non toll road it is a bit longer to everywhere! Look on the Victoria site, as many Brits live down there and have discussed some of the many 'beachside' suburbs in Melbourne, of which there are a lot. Too numerous to mention here. Good luck with it all (must be hard to leave Scotland though, gorgeous place it is).

What does your Mum do? If she is a nurse it would be very easy for her to get a sponsor.

Have a look at Langwarrin too as its also near Frankston, not next to the beach but not very far away.

The Westernport side of the Peninsula is also worth a look as it has a a train and bus service. Where I live in Somerville people walk to the station as you can walk from everywhere if you wan, get the train to Frankston swap onto the city train and go to work that way. Westernport towns are Somerville, Tyabb, Hastings, Bittern, all have the train. The train actually goes down to Stony Point through Crib Point. Crib Point is home to a large naval training base.

Frankston has many houses for sale and usually there are quite a few rentals. Tahnee Lodge is a nice area in Frankston, Lakewood as well. South Frankston off Kars Street is a very nice area old houses but lovely blocks of land and very well established.

Depends where you work and how long you want to commute too as to best place for you.

I hesitate to say it but I would think your chances of finding a sponsor for her at 55 are negligible, unless she has some extraordinarily in demand skill. Most Aussies are thinking of retirement at 55 and there is a not so subtle ageist policy with respect to recruitment especially in a recession where lots of bright young things are losing their jobs and entering the recruitment market.

I would think that perhaps your best bet is when you have been here a couple of years, to go for one of the parent visas - Gollywobbler is the girl to advise you on that one. Alternatively, she could come for half a year on tourist visas almost indefinitely.

thanks my mum is currently a youth worker also was elderly carer before that and then before that she was a hairdresserwhich is in demand. i no aussies thinking of retiring but she is a great worker young for her age and could bring alot of positives and life experiences to a job that youngsters couldnt. to come on a parent visa is alot of money isnt it? which she wouldnt have. can she work on a tourist visa also will check out the areas like hastings etc thanks

thanks my mum is currently a youth worker also was elderly carer before that and then before that she was a hairdresserwhich is in demand. i no aussies thinking of retiring but she is a great worker young for her age and could bring alot of positives and life experiences to a job that youngsters couldnt. to come on a parent visa is alot of money isnt it? which she wouldnt have. can she work on a tourist visa also will check out the areas like hastings etc thanks

No she wouldnt be able to work on a tourist visa unfortunately and yes, the parent visas do cost a lot. I quite understand that experience is really useful but Australian employers dont always think that way unfortunately. I am older than your mum, as is my husband, but with a lifetime career behind him he needed to get another job and the age discrimination is palpable. He has got a job, not in his career field, but it took much longer than it has ever taken before and he is an Aus citizen with an Aus career. This is very much a country of not what you know but who you know unfortunately.

Good luck with it though, it must be very difficult to think of leaving her behind on her own.

Guest mandisfam
hi there we are new to pio but it is a great site so far. we are a family of 4 kids 9 and 2 years our skilled visa was lodged beg december health and police checks are next so should hopefully get visa by june. anyway we fancy melbourne is it good for families. anyone out there been to frankston or frankston south or seaford we fancy being near the beach and these suburbs seem more affordable. are they good with plenty for kids? are we thinking in right area? we have never been to oz before. we are also trying to get my mum a sponcer but she is 55 years and we worried she wont get but cant leave her on her own in scotland . any advise anyone?:jiggy:

Hi, Do you have a copy of the melbourne guide???? If not, if you pm me your email address I will forward a copy on to you.

Its a 2 or even 3 years old but full of info for families.

Good Luck

Mandisfam

thanks for all your info my email is donnawillson1@aol.com this was my maiden name. also to other post thanks for help when did you emigrate and did your husband eventually get a sponcer then? do you think my mum got more chance if she went back to hairdressing? or i could go out first and i also work in socialm care and when in get to no people might be easier as without her getting there we couldnt live our dream she also is our life. many thanks everyones advice

Archived