state sponsorship, please help me

stacybird123

hi, this is driving me crazy as my agent today told me that it will take us 15 months to get to oz and we almost about to lodge the full and main application.

i cannot believe it takes so long but she did mention a state sponsorship that is a quicker route. she said i have to comit to the state for two years. Im not talking employer sponsor or anything else as im going on a permanent 176 normal visa and im not prepared to do employee no way.

can anyone help me find out where i can find the queensland state skills shortage list to see if im eligible for state sponsorship please as ive been on the goverment site and queensland state site and cannot see the list.

please help

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jason

I believe that you intend to nominate Floor Finisher as your occupation?

Floor Finisher 4423-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

A link to all of the State and Territory Migration websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

The QLD migration website seems to be down at the moment.

I think you are entirely right to insist on a 176 visa. However that might well mean compromising where you move to for your first two years in Oz. The QLD List for 176 sponsorship is shorter than that of all the other States.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest HOPKINSON'S

hi Gill, iv'e passed my vetasses and applied for a 176 state sponsorship to Victoria. Is it possible or advisable to apply to more than one state for sponsorship? We had planned to go toAdelaide but unfortunately in October the skills list was revised meaning as a joiner/carpenter I could only apply for provisional status (unless complete a IELTS which I declined).

Guest Gollywobbler
hi Gill' date=' iv'e passed my vetasses and applied for a 176 state sponsorship to Victoria. Is it possible or advisable to apply to more than one state for sponsorship? We had planned to go toAdelaide but unfortunately in October the skills list was revised meaning as a joiner/carpenter I could only apply for provisional status (unless complete a IELTS which I declined).[/quote']

Hello Hopkinsons

Do you have a Registered Migration Agent acting for you or is yours a DIY application, please?

I ask because British trades skills applicants for SA sponsorship are exempt from having to sit the IELTS.

Make The Move :: Requirements for State sponsorship

Is that your own mistake or did you receive duff advice?

Also, SA published a new 176 sponsorship List on 1st January 2009. Carpenter and Carpenter & Joiner are both on it. Which one do you have the Vetassess OK for, please?

There is no reason why you cannot apply to more than one State for 176 Sponsorship. Given that you want to move to Adelaide, I recommend that you apply to SA as well. If SA accept you, you can withdraw your application to VIC but do be sure to get the OK from SA before withdrawing your current application to VIC.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Birdiesinoz
Hi Jason

I believe that you intend to nominate Floor Finisher as your occupation?

Floor Finisher 4423-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

A link to all of the State and Territory Migration websites is here:

The QLD migration website seems to be down at the moment.

I think you are entirely right to insist on a 176 visa. However that might well mean compromising where you move to for your first two years in Oz. The QLD List for 176 sponsorship is shorter than that of all the other States.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

I was checking out the sites in the week and Queensland State Sponsorship site stated it is under reconstruction and will be back up running on 15 January 2009 (it could have said 12th as the words were obscured).

Kind regards

Cheryl

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

I was checking out the sites in the week and Queensland State Sponsorship site stated it is under reconstruction and will be back up running on 15 January 2009 (it could have said 12th as the words were obscured).

Kind regards

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl

Very many thanks for your input.

Jason - Cheryl is an expert on these visas. Are you willing to consider somewhere other than QLD for your first two years in Oz in order to ensure that your visa application does not end up in the "urgent" tray on the floor?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest janagaraja

Hi Gill,

I already submitted 176 subclass to DIAC through online in october 2008. I got sponsorship from queensland as well as wetern australia.(western australia sponsorship approval letter went to diffrent address which i was not aware of that.But i have uploaded the queensland sponsorship approval letter to diac. However western australia approval came earlier than queensland. My question is

1. Is there any problem that i have not used western australia sponsorship ?

2. Do i need to with draw western australia sponsorship. If so what is the procedure to withdraw

Please let me know eagerly waiting for your response. Thanks . regards

Hi Cheryl

Very many thanks for your input.

Jason - Cheryl is an expert on these visas. Are you willing to consider somewhere other than QLD for your first two years in Oz in order to ensure that your visa application does not end up in the "urgent" tray on the floor?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

I already submitted 176 subclass to DIAC through online in october 2008. I got sponsorship from queensland as well as wetern australia.(western australia sponsorship approval letter went to diffrent address which i was not aware of that.But i have uploaded the queensland sponsorship approval letter to diac. However western australia approval came earlier than queensland. My question is

1. Is there any problem that i have not used western australia sponsorship ?

2. Do i need to with draw western australia sponsorship. If so what is the procedure to withdraw

Please let me know eagerly waiting for your response. Thanks . regards

Hi Janak

I do my best but I am not a migration agent. I don't know about this stuff in as much detail as would be necessary in order to be able to supply a competent, reliable answer to your questions. The only thing I can suggest is that you might ask the ASPC? Or the State migration people in WA?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest janagaraja

Thanks much. janak

Hi Janak

I do my best but I am not a migration agent. I don't know about this stuff in as much detail as would be necessary in order to be able to supply a competent, reliable answer to your questions. The only thing I can suggest is that you might ask the ASPC? Or the State migration people in WA?

Best wishes

Gill

hi and thanks for all the replies.

yes i would be very willing to try other states first for 2 years as i do intend to travel around oz and living somewhere else for a while would only be a great experience.

so long as i can end up in helensvale queenslanf after 2 years i have no problem.

Now all i need to know is firstly is whether my trade floor finisher is on any of the state lists and if so which states. how do i find this out please?

also how much time will this route reduce the timescale? how quickly could i be there?

many thanks again,

jason

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jason

The above is a sheet of links to all the State & Territory Migration websites. The QLD website is off line for a few days until 15th Jan but Floor Finisher is not on the QLD 176 visa list anyway.

The following States offer 176 Sponsorship to Floor Finishers:

Western Australia

South Australia

Tasmania

Australian Capital Territory *

Victoria **

*The ACT charge $275 to consider an application to them for State Sponsorship. None of the others charge anything.

** Victoria will be publishing a new 176 List on Monday 12th January, so please check it then if VIC would be a possibility for you.

With regard to visa processing timescales, nobody has any definite timescale indicators as yet. The new scheme is still brand new and has not been tested in practice. The only thing anyone can say reliably is:

1. A State Sponsored 176 application will get top priority processing.

2. Occupations on the Critical Skills List come next but Floor Finisher is not on the CSL.

3. Occupations on the MODL come after CSLs but DIAC are currently reviewing the MODL and say they intend to publish a new one "early in 2009."

4. Floor Finisher is on the current MODL. If it is not on the new one then a non-MODL 175 application can be lodged but DIAC will not do anything about processing it until after 1st July 2009 and at this stage nobody knows whether processing would resume during the 2009/10 Migration Program Year.

In your shoes, I would not risk being relegated to Option 4. Two years in West Australia, say, before you decide whether to move to QLD is a better investment of two years of your life than another 2 to 3 years in the UK would be, I feel. If Australia does slide into recession, people will stop buying new floor coverings. Therefore I reckon Floor Finisher is one of the "at risk" occupations as far as the new MODL is concerned.

In your particular case I think it would be prudent to re-calculate your Points total based on the assumption that Floor Finisher will not remain on the MODL and therefore you will lose 15 points from whatever your current total is.

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

I believe you are about 33 and definitely under 35? I reckon your current total is roughly as follows:

25 - Age

15 - Competent English

60 - Nominated Occupation

10 - Specific Work Experience

15 - MODL

Total 125. Take off 15 MODL points and you are left with 110. You need 120 points for a 175 visa so if you stck with the 175 I believe you would be prudent to sit the IELTS rather than to gamble on whether or not you would be awarded MODL points at the end of the day. A score of 7.0 or above in each of the four modules of the General IELTS test would give you an extra 10 points for Proficient English.

IELTS: International English Language Testing System

Free Samples

Don't bother with the Academic free samples. Study the General ones and see what you think of those.

I think that in your particular situation I would not waste time and money on hoping for a good IELTS result. For the State Sponsored 176 visa you only need 100 points in total and the Sponsoring State provides 10 of the points:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Even omitting MODL points, on a 176 visa I reckon your points total is as follows:

25 - Age

15 - Competent English

60 - Nominated Occupation

10 - State Sponsorship

10 - Specific Work Experience

Total 120 which is way above what you actually need for a 176 visa, without getting bogged down in the cost and uncertainty of the IELTS. I'm not a migration agent but if I were I would be looking to make you absolutely bomb-proof. The way to do that is to protect you from changes to the MODL and protect you from the IELTS. State Sponsorship on a 176 makes you 100% bomb-proof and with 4 or 5 States to choose from, one of them will say "Yes", I feel sure.

OK - so which State if not QLD?

Hitherto WA have always been the fastest at determining 176 State Sponsorship applications. They generally return a result within about 5 working days. The others all tend to take one to two months though I think the current processing timelines will slip in all the States because I doubt that any of them have enough staff to cope with the sudden and massive surge in demand for State Sponsorship.

NSW, VIC, TAS & SA all seem to be worrying about recession. WA and the Northern Territory do not seem to think that their State economies will slide into a technical recession rather than "a correction", to quote a euphemism much favoured by MPs. I don't know what QLD think will happen there but the Minister for Immi is on record as saying that he thinks QLD will also get through the next 2 to 3 years unscathed. (That said, the Minister lives in Perth. It might suit him to have his local constituents who voted him into office believing his cheery assurances that all will be well in WA..... who knows? The guy is a politician so he might be a weasel as well.)

The Immi websites for the individual States are good. They do provide a lot of information about the State, life in that State and so on. Study them all and see which one feels best to you, I would say.

Best wishes

Gill

this is absolutley great help and i got more information there than i have ever form my agent. thanks for taking the time writing that.

ok i like wa and have a friend in mandurah, i also have contacts in melbourne so these are the only states i would apply for. can i apply for both states?, what do i need to provide?, just write to them i suppose and ask?

finally and the most importantly, i never wanted to have to sit that english test due to im no good with these kind of tests, even though i got a b in gcse english these tests catch you out like driving theory test and im not keen. But i do agree with you that my trade will be coming off the modl list this year for sure so i must hurry. My question then to you is if i get state sponsorsgip and lodge my application say in 2 weeks time to adelaide, will i then be protected from any model changes? as my application was in before changes happened?, or i guess it does not work like this?

regards

Guest threespire

Hi,

On the issue of "showing commitment to living in a particular state" and having sufficient transferable funds, presumably alot of people won't have funds until their house is sold in the UK, and I imagine alot apply for their nomination and visa before the house sells? Can you explain this situation that you will have sat $100,000 once the house in uk is sold ,but do not have any funds to show at time of application for nomination?

Does anyone have positive experience of this happening?

Kirsty xx

i have not seen the state sponsorship critria, all i know is you have to commit for 2 years to that state. are you saying i need to show $100k? as i will not be able to do this as im renting my house out and going with around 15-20k only.

please clarify or can any one post a link to the state sponsorship critria.

Guest Gollywobbler
this is absolutley great help and i got more information there than i have ever form my agent. thanks for taking the time writing that.

ok i like wa and have a friend in mandurah, i also have contacts in melbourne so these are the only states i would apply for. can i apply for both states?, what do i need to provide?, just write to them i suppose and ask?

finally and the most importantly, i never wanted to have to sit that english test due to im no good with these kind of tests, even though i got a b in gcse english these tests catch you out like driving theory test and im not keen. But i do agree with you that my trade will be coming off the modl list this year for sure so i must hurry. My question then to you is if i get state sponsorsgip and lodge my application say in 2 weeks time to adelaide, will i then be protected from any model changes? as my application was in before changes happened?, or i guess it does not work like this?

regards

Hi Jason

A lot of tradies share your own apprehension about the IELTS and I think all of you are right to do so. It is not a test of how people actually use English in their daily lives. It is so artificial and divorced from reality that it proves the old saying, "A camel is a horse designed by a Committee."

My question then to you is if i get state sponsorsgip and lodge my application say in 2 weeks time to adelaide, will i then be protected from any model changes? as my application was in before changes happened?, or i guess it does not work like this?

I've been debating this very question with Alan Collett of Go Matilda in an exchange of PMs. I've only been watching Aussie Immi Law & practice for 3.5 years and I have only really begun to get the hang of how skilled visas work within the last year or so. I knew nothing about skilled visas prior to the changes on 1st September 2007.

Alan tells me that technically MODL points are not awarded until the time when the CO makes a decision on the visa application. Technically the CO is supposed to work from the MODL which is current at the time of the decision about the visa application. In recent years DIAC/the Minister have made policy decisions to honour the MODL which was in force at the time when the visa application was made. Alan says that in the past, they have stood on the law and insisted that only the current MODL - many months later - is relevant even though a new MODL has been produced between the time of the application and the time of the decision.

Which seems MONSTROUS to me. It turns the whole thing into a complete Lottery unless the MODL applicant has a minimum of 135 points to begin with. Law which results in a lottery of this sort belongs in a banana republic, not in a G8 jurisdiction. (However when I said this to a solicitor friend who is an expert on Oz Immi Law, he remarked drily, "We were a banana republic until the banana crop failed....") It is not good Law and it is uncivilised Law if they shift the goalposts on applicants after a visa application has been paid for in good faith. :realmad:

However Alan has convinced me that this question will come down to what the current Minister decides to do about it as a matter of Policy. He might play the white man about MODL points. Then again, if he wants to cut the migrant intake quota, pulling the rug out from under an MODL applicant's feet would be one way to prune the overall numbers of incoming migrants.

The answer is that nobody knows what will happen about existing MODL points unless and until the Minister says something definite one way or the other, which so far he hasn't. This is my main reason for wanting to make sure that you are absolutely bomb-proof, Jason.

ok i like wa and have a friend in mandurah, i also have contacts in melbourne so these are the only states i would apply for. can i apply for both states?,

Yes, you can apply to both States. Realistically, you cannot get applications ready in less than a week. VIC will be publishing a new 176 List on Monday 12 Jan. So for the moment I suggest you leave VIC aside until we have seen their new List on Monday, just in case Floor Finisher is not on their new list.. Let's you & I get cracking on WA whilst we wait to see what VIC do.

what do i need to provide?, just write to them i suppose and ask?

Come with me, please....

State Migration Centre

Hit the link for Skilled Migration. The 176 visa is the Skilled Sponsored Visa. Ignore the one with "Regional" in the title. Hit the link for the Skilled Sponsored Visa. Then hit the link for the Priority Skills List.

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/media/documents/priority-skills-list.pdf

It is impossible to make sense of the WA List without the diagrammatic map of WA, which is here:

State Migration Centre » Living in the Regions

With a 176 visa you can live anywhere you like in WA including in Perth Metro so you can ignore the coloured stuff about Regional shortages but it helps if you understand what on earth they are on about and where!

This Booklet is a Must Read:

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/media/documents/skilled-visa-info-booklet-jan08.pdf

The WA application form is an on-line form and it is irritating because you can't read it through before you start filling it in:

State Migration Centre » Online Application System

You need the bottom form at the foot of the page, marjed "SSV", not the one marked "SRS". However please ignore the form for the time being because you are nowhere near ready to start filling it in.

The NT & Tasmania websites make good practice for eventually doing the on-line stuff with both WA and VIC.

Northern Territory

Offshore Skilled - Sponsored (subclass 176) Visa Fact Sheet

http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/documents/SS_Declaration.pdf

Please read Paragraph 4 of the NT Declaration carefully because all the States are passionate about Para 4.

http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/documents/SS_ApplicationForm.pdf

Tasmania

Migrating to Tasmania

The Words of Widsom from Tasmania (above) are worth reading because again, they are all looking for the same things.

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/migration/Tasmanian%20SS%20Application.pdf

The actual form is very similar to the NT form in terms of the information that each State is looking for.

The ACT

I happen to be reading their Guidelines anyway because one of our members has reported that the ACT have refused his application for 176 Sponsorship, so here are the ACT Guidelines as well for good measure:

http://www.business.act.gov.au/__data/assets/word_doc/0020/117425/176_Visa_Sponsorship_Guidelines.doc

For information about what has gone wrong between the ACT and our other member, please see this thread, which I will reply to when I have finished replying to you:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/51038-further-guideline-act-sponsorship-after-refusal-letter.html

Please also see my reply to Mr Barn, a brickie who is at the same stage as you in researching before making an application to WA for 176 Sponsorship:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/51030-wa-sponsership.html

You cannot skimp on the research for any of the States. The State Officials know their areas intimately. They know what average rentals and house prices are, where all the schools are and so on. They expect you to demonstrate that you are serious about living in their State and that therefore you have done a lot of careful research before making your application.

Now is the time to use your Phone A Friend option with your mate in Mandurah. Get him on the phone and ask him what their weekly grocery bill is, what they pay for utilities and rates, whereabouts he thinks you would find work (you could do a LOT worse than moving to Mandurah yourself, too) and generally ask for his help and advice in every way. Then tell WA about your friend in Mandurah and that you have had lengthy discussions with him about the cost of groceries, bills, cars, fuel and so forth.

Do WA from start to finish until you have lodged your WA application. Then get stuck into VIC whilst you wait to hear back from WA (assuming that Floor Finisher stays on the VIC List.) It will be too confusing if you try to research both States at the same time.

Best wishes

Gill

cheers ok ill crack on with it.

so i only have to fill in online application?, thats not so bad.

the only other thing im unsure of is do i need 100k as the other member said? thats £45k. not sure i can do that part so does this mean i can't apply for state sponsored?

thanks again and you should really become an agent yourself as your so knowledgable

Bring sufficient funds into the State to cover settlement costs.

just seen this quote on the wa states critria for sponsored. Where did i get 100k from, i think i got confused.

saying that though does anyone know how much this is likely to be, i guess around 10k as that seems the average settlement costs, and i guess we can show bank account evidence of this

Guest Gollywobbler
Bring sufficient funds into the State to cover settlement costs.

just seen this quote on the wa states critria for sponsored. Where did i get 100k from, i think i got confused.

saying that though does anyone know how much this is likely to be, i guess around 10k as that seems the average settlement costs, and i guess we can show bank account evidence of this

Hi Jason

Twinsmom65 (Karen) & family have WA-sponsored 176 visas. In May 2008 the State officials in WA told Karen that they would be content if she said $25,000 for a family of four. Please see this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/34742-wa-state-sponsership-sub-clas-176-visa-problem-online-application.html

Obviously the more you can truthfully put down the better but WA seem to be more relaxed about finances than the ACT are, to judge from our other member's experience of the ACT today.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest HOPKINSON'S

thanks Gill. Migration agents told us that because my trade removed from list the only way was through IELTS for permanent residency. Will now apply to South Aus as well thanks to your info. Agents also failed to contact about joinery/carpentry being back on MODL even tough they know it was our first choice from start as 2 sets of friends residing there. Will also check out your suggested website. Many thanks, Max and Debs.

I ask because British trades skills applicants for SA sponsorship are exempt from having to sit the IELTS.

GILL

As the QLD site is down I cant find out. Do you know if IELTS is a requirement for Queensland? Last week when I did a points calculation we achieved the 100 points necessary but I dont remember reading that we needed to sit the test as well?

JOHN

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi John

No - I've not heard of any Brits having to sit the IELTS in order to get sponsorship from QLD unless they have needed the extra 10 IELTS points. If you have 100 without it then you are fine.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest weegogs
Hi,

On the issue of "showing commitment to living in a particular state" and having sufficient transferable funds, presumably alot of people won't have funds until their house is sold in the UK, and I imagine alot apply for their nomination and visa before the house sells? Can you explain this situation that you will have sat $100,000 once the house in uk is sold ,but do not have any funds to show at time of application for nomination?

Does anyone have positive experience of this happening?

Kirsty xx

i,m interested in a reply to this thread as i have been knocked back from sa sponsorship for (not showing enough commitment and reserch in sa,and not having enough funds) despite telling them i've 90k tied up in the house.can anyone let me know whats required please

i,m interested in a reply to this thread as i have been knocked back from sa sponsorship for (not showing enough commitment and reserch in sa,and not having enough funds) despite telling them i've 90k tied up in the house.can anyone let me know whats required please

Why not telephone Migration SA for a chat on 00 61 8 8204 9250. A call after 10.30pm UK time (9am in Adelaide) should find someone available to take you call.

I spoke with them today (albeit on a business skills visa issue) - they are friendly and don't bite!

Best regards.

regards

This got me a bit worried so I had a long look at tthe QLD sponsorship application http://203.210.126.185/dsdweb/v4/app.../docs/1139.doc and although it states that you need to have sufficient funds, It does not say how much but asks you for a figure. Dont know if anyone else has been knocked back because they did not have enough?

JOHN

Archived