UK Pension Transfer

Guest jgwines

Guest jgwines

I have recently relocated to Sydney from Dubai and hold a 457 visa.

I have read lots of posts and other resources regarding transfer of UK pensions, however, I have been unable to get a conclusive answer to the following questions:

1 - Can a UK pension be transferred whilst on a 457 visa?

2 - What happens to the money post transfer if I decide to leave Austalia?

I hope you can answer my questions!

Guest Gunner
I have recently relocated to Sydney from Dubai and hold a 457 visa.

I have read lots of posts and other resources regarding transfer of UK pensions, however, I have been unable to get a conclusive answer to the following questions:

1 - Can a UK pension be transferred whilst on a 457 visa?

2 - What happens to the money post transfer if I decide to leave Austalia?

I hope you can answer my questions!

I transferred my pension from the UK a number of years ago. I had to sign a form stating that i did not plan to ever return to the UK. Not sure what happens if you do perhaps they send the pension police around ?

Why would you want to transfer a UK pension on a 457 visa? If you are intending to be temporarily resident there really isnt much use in bringing it over I would have thought. Any money you put away into super while you are here may be reclaimed when you leave providing you have not become a permanent resident because as soon as that happens your super is stuck here until you reach retirement age even if you nick off home again.

Guest jgwines

My plan is to see out my 457 visa and then go for permanent residence all things well.

However, the advantage is, if I can transfer out my UK pension whilst on a 457 visa and then leave after 4 years, I assume I can take my super and my UK pension and invest as I wish. Whereas in my current situation, my UK pension is locked away and isn't working as hard as it potentially could.

My plan is to see out my 457 visa and then go for permanent residence all things well.

However, the advantage is, if I can transfer out my UK pension whilst on a 457 visa and then leave after 4 years, I assume I can take my super and my UK pension and invest as I wish. Whereas in my current situation, my UK pension is locked away and isn't working as hard as it potentially could.

Transfer it here it will work hard going down the plug hole

Mally

It often depends on the trustees of the UK pension fund.

If you would like to discuss this issue with my colleague who advises on pension transfers from the UK to Australia please send me a PM or an email with your contact details (your email address and T number would be good).

Best regards.

Archived