Driving Licences in Melbourne

Guest carkyde

Guest carkyde

Hi we are due to arrive in Melbourne on Friday the 13th Feb :twitcy: and will be staying in a motel for the 1st week until we get a chance to get a rental or house share. We need to register for Medicare pretty quick as I will be 19 weeks pregnant and as we need ID to do thought we could change licences in the 1st couple of days and use this with bank cards.

We wondered do you need an address for the driver's licence change and also other half has full motorbike licence, will he need to resit his test or is it just transferred with car licence. One last question where do we do this closest to St Kilda?

Thanks a million Caroline

Your nearest Vicroads office I think is in the city.

Carlton

459 Lygon Street

Carlton, Victoria 3053

Melways

43 J2

I can't help with the bike licence as never ridden one.

One other thing which I think is a must when you arrive is to arrange ambulance cover.

God forbid but if anything did happen & you needed an ambulance if you don't have cover you may end up thousands of dollars out of pocket.

You can check out the cost here.

Membership Home

Guest The Blenkinsops

Hi

We too are moving to Melbourne on the 14th Feb. We're staying in East Doncaster. Hope it all goes well and good luck with the new arrival in a few month's time.

x

Guest heieup

You will need an address yes to get your victorian drivers license and you can drive on your UK one for 3 months. Once you get a rental agreement signed you can get your Aussy one. The car license just swaps over, not sure about the bike one though. Check out the vicroads web site. VicRoads : VicRoads

Caroline.

My Uk license also included a full motorbike license although I hadn't ridden a m/c for many years(30+) and when I changed to a Victorian license there it was. So yes , as far as I can tell your hubby will not have to resit any tests.

You may find it will take a few days to get the license as we had first to ring for an appointment which we couldn't get for a week or so. Once you have the appointment the license is granted there and then.(even the photographs and eye tests are done at the same time.)

Mike

Archived