Health Insurance/Leave/SuperAnn

jakc

Waiting on 457 visa to come through for a job ive landed in Melbourne CBD. My missus is coming with me as well.

I have some questions:

1. Need to get private health insurance - Whats the norm? Im after a cheap deal as I didnt realise I would have to pay for this until after I signed my contract.:wacko:

2. 20 days holiday - this seems a little low, or is this Ozzy standard. In UK im on 24.

3. "9% Superannuation contribution to the Company Scheme"

- I think this is Ozzy law? Can I reclaim this easily once I return to UK?

Some advice would be really appreciated. :v_SPIN:

<EDIT> Im getting a little worried about the costs of private health insurance for a couple.

For example, Medibank gave me the following quote which is £175 a month = this is too high compared to the salary im on, but I have already signed the contract...

"Premium $355.70 Monthly - Credit Card Or Direct Debit

Well suited for those on a 457 visa or other temporary working visa."

I thought I saw cheaper quotes, but I think thats because it assumed I was an Australian citizen.

I need PHI and I want it as cheap as possible - PLEASE HELP!

There looks to be a slightly cheaper deal here Health Insurance for 457 Visa Holders - no experience of this lot, just a google search. As citizens we pay $250 a month and that is about average for top cover.

20 days is par for the course. Some places make you take it at particular times of the year too because the business closes for a period - some construction industry places for example. However Aus has a "long service leave" provision - if you stay in the same job (or sometimes, same job type) for 10 years then you get 3 months paid leave (enough to have got you home by boat) and that continues to accrue for every year that you work.

As long as you dont become a permanent resident then you can claim any super you have paid while working here, when you leave. As soon as you become a permanent resident then it gets locked up until you hit retirement age and then you will be able to access it.

Archived