Help with visa application

scarlet mia

Hi I hope this isn,t a silly question but I am a bit confussed. We are about to start our application for a skilled 175 visa, now I am just wondering as my husband has a British passport and we are British does he not have to sit the ielts test and should he allow himself 25 points for being English without the test? We have passed TRA and he does have enough points if I have the English part correct. I hope this makes sense and someone knows what I am trying to say LOL. Also is it only a copy of passport needed to send to prove Language.

Thanks so much for any advise

Hi there,

Unfortunately you do have to take IELTS to get the full points even if you are english speaking born & bred. Some people are outraged at this but I used to be a teacher and GCSE Examiner so I know how bad native speakers can be :) I've got to say the tests looked easy to me and you don't even have to get top marks so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. People do fail though - probably down to nerves more than anything else.

OH decided not to do it & we got the 'extra' points we needed by claiming skilled spouse points purely because we were in Australia a lot of the summer and he wasn't in the UK for the test dates.

Good luck

Jules

As far as i can remember you get 15 points without the test and 25 if you take it and pass,wether you need the extra 10 points only you will know, btw my knowledge is from my own application,which was pre sept 07 when some of the rules changed,as far as im aware the rules re language hasnt changed though.

Thanks Pablo thats a great help I have just read another post and it said about 15 points without the test which I didn,t know I am going to re check I think we scored 125 but that was claiming 25 points without the test so not sure if it takes us down to 115 will have to check now.

Thanks again

Hi again I have just checked and we still get 125 points including 15 points without doing the test. Do you know if to get the 15 points without the test, all we would need is a copy of the passport as it does not seem to tell us anywhere.

Thanks much appreciated

Yes, you will get 15 points without the test - we're going through an agency so I don't know the mechanics of claiming those points sorry - I'm sure someone else will.

Jules

as far as im aware ( i went through an agent as well )if you are british born and passport holder its "sort of" automatic,plus no doubt in the piles of paperwork it asks you which language you speak( cant remember now,its been a while ),btw as far as im aware you only need 120 points anyway,good luck

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi again I have just checked and we still get 125 points including 15 points without doing the test. Do you know if to get the 15 points without the test, all we would need is a copy of the passport as it does not seem to tell us anywhere.

Thanks much appreciated

Hello Scarletmia

Yes - a British passport automatically secures 15 points.

However the 175 is no longer the best visa unless the occupation is on the CSL or MODL.

Please see my advice to OgaPoga on the thread below:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/50368-high-risk-vs-low-risk-countries.html

Best wishes

Gill

Archived