Guest James.S

Guest THE RICKARD'S

Could someone please also tell me what the abbreviation's PEER AND ARTC are ? Sorry if this is abit of a simple question but If you dont ask you will never know and I dont know!

I have googled most abbreviation's as I find them but I dont think Ive had the right result's for seraching these.

Thank's again

Glen

You lot are now really confusing an already confused sparky stuck in the U.K. wondering what I should be aiming to do next.As I have gone down the vetassess route' date='what would your advice be for someone in my position as you have all probably been in this position yourselves?

Is there any training I could be doing from this end ?

Is it worth trying to obtain the Australian wiring Regs ?

Can apply for any type of licence whilst in the U.K. ?

Cheer's

Glen[/quote']

hi Glen , I stand by what I've posted. I would apply for an ARTC if you have an Australian residents visa in your passport.You can do this from the UK but you must supply an Australian address for correspondence.Do not declare that you have followed the Vetassess route. They don't ask for it on the application form so you are not obligated to supply it. You can then do a correspondence course with Peer in Adelaide ( in the UK). Upon arrival in Australia ,go to Adelaide do the exam , Get your SA licence and then transfer it under 'mutual recognition' to another state licence(except WA). It's worth a shot, the worst they can do is reject your application and refund your money. I must point out that I have not gone through the process and won't need to as we're migrating on my wife's application. However , I have been following this thread and others for the past year now and it seems others have been able to follow this route successfully and Chris' ordeal with the TRA does seem unique. Also , for more info trawl through this thread and look for posts by Steve O' The pom from aus and on britishexpats.com and read the sticky by wendy on ARTC and licensing and other threads relating to the ARTC. I know it means sifting thru a lot of **** but you will see that people have successfully followed this route. Again, all they can do is say no and refund your money. Regards Derren

Could someone please also tell me what the abbreviation's PEER AND ARTC are ? Sorry if this is abit of a simple question but If you dont ask you will never know and I dont know!

I have googled most abbreviation's as I find them but I dont think Ive had the right result's for seraching these.

Thank's again

Glen

PEER is the technical college based in Adelaide. ARTC stands for Australian Recognised Trades Certificate. For more info on the ARTC follow this link DEEWR.

Remember whilst looking on this site that you do not need ARTC for residence visa.

Guest chris_mac

Hi Derren7

Yes mate i did declare the vetassess and I beleive the changes did take effect on or just after Sept 09.

I have also copied and pasted extracts from the DEEWR website stating that i was in fact an ozzy resident and as you quote qualify for the ARTC. In terms of speaking to numpties, i actually dealt direct with the assistant MD and still got fobbed off.

I can only speak from my experience and still my application is still pending... Fo the record I do now have my A Licence which was difficult to obtain and more expensive without the ARTC.

Quite rightly as you state Derren7, for all future ARTC applicants I wouldnt declare the vetassess!

The whole electrical licencing/ training industry is a right mess at the moment and in my opinion a money making scam.

Best wishes

Chris

Guest THE RICKARD'S

I have just been on the DEEWR website and read some of the info. on the TRA and ARTC.Why should I not declare the Vetassess ?,what was the point in me doing the Vetassess ? Isnt it exactly the same as what the TRA require ? I am starting to understand all the confusion.

Glen

Hi Derren7

Yes mate i did declare the vetassess and I beleive the changes did take effect on or just after Sept 09.

I have also copied and pasted extracts from the DEEWR website stating that i was in fact an ozzy resident and as you quote qualify for the ARTC. In terms of speaking to numpties, i actually dealt direct with the assistant MD and still got fobbed off.

I can only speak from my experience and still my application is still pending... Fo the record I do now have my A Licence which was difficult to obtain and more expensive without the ARTC.

Quite rightly as you state Derren7, for all future ARTC applicants I wouldnt declare the vetassess!

The whole electrical licencing/ training industry is a right mess at the moment and in my opinion a money making scam.

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Chris , Firstly , I'd like to congratulate you on obtaining your licence. It must be akin to obtaining the holy grail. I agree with you wholeheartedly, the whole process is a confusing mess and really shouldn't have to be like this. It's a classic case of left hand not knowing what right hand is doing and when it does a classic case of buck passing. It also goes to show that Australian bureaucracy can be just as inept and rigid as Britain's. As for your application still pending, well that only confirms what I suspected, these people don't communicate with each other. As for being fobbed off by the assistant MD, well he /she probably can't see beyond their next performance bonus. Sorry for the rant, my only hope is that your ordeal highlights the absurdities of the system to someone with a bit of sense and in a position of power to change and simplify it. To any other sparkies reading this and still confused, the info you need is on this thread and on the britishexpats website. It's lot of crap to sift thru, so pay particular attention to Wendy's sticky on the ARTC on that website and posts made by Steve O' aka 'Steve the spark' on this thread, and posts made by 'The Pom from Aus' Best wishes for the future Chris. PS. What's the work situation like where you are? Kind Regards Derren:mad::biggrin:

Guest chris_mac
I have just been on the DEEWR website and read some of the info. on the TRA and ARTC.Why should I not declare the Vetassess ?' date='what was the point in me doing the Vetassess ? Isnt it exactly the same as what the TRA require ? I am starting to understand all the confusion.

Glen[/quote']

Hi Glen

The TRA have issued oz equivelent certs for over 50 years. (ARTC)

A couple of years ago there used to be a Skill path for Electricians and other tradies called Skill Path D. Unfortunately many many tradies where abusing the pathway by falsifying trade documents and getting into Oz under false pretences. Also no practical assessment was necessary.

The Government (diac) picked up on this system being abused and litterally over night removed the Pathway D. Thousands of legitimate applicants (me being one) who had their full immigration applications in where sent back and where left high and dry. I lost 3.2k GBP in fee's etc getting up to that application point.

Soon after the removal of pathway D Vetassess where appointed as the new Company to assess certain trades which included electricians. The vetassess route includes a full day practical, hands on so to speak and exams to prove you are what you say you are and that you can demonstrate your skill. This process is impossible for none tradie to pass under false conditions.

Once passed you then get a vetassess cert stating that the applicant has demonstrated that they are electricians etc FOR MIGRATION PURPOSES ONLY.

It was then common practice to then apply for an ARTC by means of sending all you paperwork (Quals, references etc) to obtain your oz equivelent Levell III cert. Happy days!

Simply do a quick conversion course (ozzy regs) and get your licence.

However, since sept this year for some unknown reason the TRA decided not to issue ARTC's to electricians who came through the vet route. Why they did this is beyond me?

I have spoke to both Vetassess and the TRA and clearly each one does not kmow their bottoms from their elbow. Some organisation called the LTC are curently waiting to meet to discuss whether the TRA will start again issuing ARTC cert to vetassess applicants.

What does this mean?

Without the ARTC you are not recognised as a Level III electrician. Training companies will not let you do the conversion course without the ARTC.

This means you have to do your level III again then do the conversion course. This cost me an extra $1500.00

Every tafe i approached said i could not do the conversion course with out a ARTC. When i explained they no longer provide them they simply said. TOUGH! DO YOUR LEVEL III AGAIN.

I have screamed, swore, sent letters, copied and pasted emails from each other so each could see what each was saying, website info, etc etc etc.. I waisted my time.

For those who disagree i can copy and post every single letter and email from DEWWR and Vetassess and Training companies to prove the above.

I did find a private training organisation who was 100% sympathetic and put together a training program for me to successfully become oz qualified.

Its a mare mate at the moment. Vetassess was thrown in at the deepend to sort a small problem which in its self does not help in the long run.

:arghh:

Chris

I have just been on the DEEWR website and read some of the info. on the TRA and ARTC.Why should I not declare the Vetassess ?' date='what was the point in me doing the Vetassess ? Isnt it exactly the same as what the TRA require ? I am starting to understand all the confusion.

Glen[/quote']

Hi Glen, As Chris has rightly pointed out, the vetassess assessment is for migration purposes. You have probably been issued with an OSTR certificate which requires you complete some gap training and filling in a log book whilst on a restricted licence. Given that this system is relatively new and the current economic climate a lot of companies don't seem to like employing people with this or are completely unaware of what it is. You can still go to PEER and do the regs course but you can't get an SA licence with this combination. That's why a lot of sparks have paid the 'relatively' little bit extra and obtained the ARTC issued by the TRA to OZ residents. With this combination of ARTC and PEER tech wiring regs course the South Australian authorities will issue you with an SA licence which can then be transferred to other state licences (except WA) under 'mutual recognition'. It seems to be the fastest way to getting an A grade licence. Of course, it's only an assumption but I suspect had Chris not declared his OSTR then the TRA would have dealt with his application without complication. As I've said before it's worth a shot as the worse that can seem to happen is a rejection and a refund of your application fee. Also , make sure to have your ARTC before approaching PEER tech as with out the ARTC this route is meaningless. However, it is worth giving PEER tech a call as by all accounts they seem to be very helpful and friendly . Hope this helps. Regards Derren

Guest graham and niki

hi all

I am an electrician, i have my visa, and my artc and am now planning on taking the peer exam in adelaide next month (flying over)and hopefully getting my license at the same time anyone have any tips on the exam or getting the license after? We then plan to move to brisbane or perth or adelaide depending on where i can get work - we have been to sunshine coast brisbane and liked it so thats first choice- any tips on the best place to find work as a electrician (domestic commercial normally)- job offer would be the best!!! i have 20 years experience and have run my own business for the last 15 years - i am a good spark.

many thanks for any help

Guest James.S
hi all

I am an electrician, i have my visa, and my artc and am now planning on taking the peer exam in adelaide next month (flying over)and hopefully getting my license at the same time anyone have any tips on the exam or getting the license after? We then plan to move to brisbane or perth or adelaide depending on where i can get work - we have been to sunshine coast brisbane and liked it so thats first choice- any tips on the best place to find work as a electrician (domestic commercial normally)- job offer would be the best!!! i have 20 years experience and have run my own business for the last 15 years - i am a good spark.

many thanks for any help

Hi,

The PEER exam is all quite straight forward as long as you have done the workbook and are happy with it. Make sure you are confident with maximum demand calculations especially balancing 3-phase installations. Also voltage drops and cable size calculations come up a bit too..

Regarding the SA licence, make sure you have a look at the requirements from the OCBA - OCBA - Plumber Gas Fitter Electrician as you need more than just the ARTC and wiring reg's.

Regarding work, generally there seems to be a lot around at the moment for good sparks, I'm on the mid north coast of NSW and there is a shortage, the company I am working for is crying out for electricians..!

Good luck, let us know how it all goes,

All the best,

James...

:jimlad:

Guest graham and niki

Hi James thanks for the info, i was under the impression that all i needed was to pass the peer exam then go get my license- i am hearing things about health and safety courses and first aid courses- but no mention of them on the OCBA web site you suggested- any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

Guest James.S
Hi James thanks for the info, i was under the impression that all i needed was to pass the peer exam then go get my license- i am hearing things about health and safety courses and first aid courses- but no mention of them on the OCBA web site you suggested- any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham,

The OCBA is the government department within South Australia who will actually issue you with your license. There are more aspects to the license application than just the ARTC and wiring reg's course from PEER. There are different routes to get your license all dependant on your experiance and other qualifications:

To apply for an Electrical Contractors Licence, you can contact the Office of Consumer and Business

Affairs (OCBA), Plumbers, Gas-Fitting & Electrical Licensing Section, on (08) 8204 9696, or visit OCBA

(details above) for our services.

Individual and/or Partnership Electrical Contractors Licence

When applying for this Licence, you must provide the following items, along with your signed

application form:

Fees

The correct application and pre-grant fee. Please refer to the attached Fee Schedule.

Business Criteria

Evidence of successful completion in the relevant approved business qualifications. Please refer

to Business Criteria Fact Sheet for list of approved Business courses and/or experience.

Please note: Only original copies of qualifications and documents, or copies certified by a Justice of the

Peace, or a proclaimed member of the Police Force or Commissioner for Taking Affidavits will be accepted.

Financial Requirement

The Financial Requirement of $8,000 in adjusted net assets is required; otherwise you will be

issued with a financial limitation. If net assets are in deficit, you will not meet the financial

requirement.

National Police Certificate

A National Police Certificate in relation to yourself and your partner/s (if applicable). The

certificate must be no more than three months old preceding the date of lodgement of the licence

application, and must be either an original document, or a copy certified by a Justice of the Peace,

or a proclaimed member of the Police Force or Commissioner for Taking Affidavits. To obtain this

certificate you will need to apply direct to the Police in your state.

Electrical Work Requirement

To contract for any electrical work, which includes the installation of fixed electrical wiring,

evidence of completion of one of the following modules must also be provided:

• Single Phase Electrical Installation Testing Course (Training provider: PEER TEC); or

• NUE408 Electrical Installation Testing & Verification (Training provider: TAFE; or

• NE171 Electrical Installation Safety Testing - Electrical Stream Module (Training provider:

TAFE); or

TAFE SA’s 18 week course and assessment on AS/NZS3000:2007 Wiring Rules.

So have a look on the website about the Business Criteria: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/files/pgebuscriteria_o7web.pdf

Health and saftey, and first aid courses are a legal obligation for a licensee to have but do not form part of the license application, as well as having suitable insurance cover..

Hope that helps...

All the best,

James...

:jimlad:

HI James and Graham, I would just like to point out that you only need a contractors licence if you intend to work self employed . If you intend to work for a firm then you do not need this particular licence, Regards Derren

hi all,

obtaining of electrical licence seems to me a herculian task. is it possible to get an ARTC with a mere vetassess ? some of the previous posts in this regard are rather confusing. hws the present situation in ozz for sparks?

:mad:

thanks

esthapan.

hi all,

obtaining of electrical licence seems to me a herculian task. is it possible to get an ARTC with a mere vetassess ? some of the previous posts in this regard are rather confusing. hws the present situation in ozz for sparks?

:mad:

thanks

esthapan.

hi,

one more problem,

when i submitted my visa application(175), in form 80 of my spouse i did some mistake, as per her passport it is lil diffrent. is it possble to make the correction when case officer takes up my case?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

esthapan.

Guest graham and niki

Hi All just to clarify as darren said in SA you do not need a contractors license unless you are going selfemployed, to work as an electrician for a firm you need your ARTC and the PEER exam certificate to get your workers license- this was confirmed to me today- unfortunately i was one of the last to go the TRA route so cant really help with anyone now doing the vetasses.

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have a copy of the AS/NZS 3000:2007 WIRING REGULATIONS BOOK.My hubby wants to go down to validate and also get his A licence in WA.It will be very helpful if he had the book to study before he went.We have just finished the meds and we are waiting for our 176 WA sponsored visa.He has done his vetassess and has his OTSR(I think its called) He is a general electrician and will go for the mechanic on.

Thank you very much

Guest krysiajay

hi all

Got all vetassess done and got OSTR. Can i now apply for ARTC and where do you apply, i am also still in uk. Can i apply for it while still in uk.

Hope to be going to Brissie, if my potential employer pulls his finger out from Maidenhead, Berks.

hi all

Got all vetassess done and got OSTR. Can i now apply for ARTC and where do you apply, i am also still in uk. Can i apply for it while still in uk.

Hope to be going to Brissie, if my potential employer pulls his finger out from Maidenhead, Berks.

Hi Krysiajay, If you read back a few pages on this thread you will see that Chris Mac was turned down for applying for his ARTC because he had gone thru vetassess. However, there are cases on the britishexpats website of people doing this. As I have stated before, and it is only my opinion , I believe that had Chris not declared his OTSR to the TRA in his application for an ARTC then his application would have proceeded without complication.

You can apply for an ARTC from the UK but you must provide an Australian address for correspondence. Also, you can only apply for an ARTC once you have your residency visa in your passport.

For details on how to apply follow this LINK Applying for an ARTC will allow you to the PEER wiring regs course which you can do by correspondence in the UK and then you have to go to Adelaide for a few days to sit the test, get your SA licence and transfer it to a Queensland one under 'mutual recognition.

However, with an OTSR there is another quick way to get an A grade licence and that is by doing an ENERGY SAFETY course in Western Australia for two weeks and get a WA licence and transfer that to a QSLD one. This means that you don't have to bother getting an ARTC as they also accept OTSR applicants . For more details on this route follow this LINK

Hope this helps. Regards Derren

Guest krysiajay

Hi Derren7

thanks for the reply seems like south and western australia are a lot easier and quicker to get your licence than queensland.

Can you tell me what position i am in at the moment. I have a job offer and all going through at the moment. If i were to go out once i get my visa with just my OTSR, can i just walk in and get my provisional licence with my OTSR and start working for my employer, supervised and sort out my licence will working, or could i come up against some problems just trying to get my provisional.

cheers

jason

Hi Derren7

thanks for the reply seems like south and western australia are a lot easier and quicker to get your licence than queensland.

Can you tell me what position i am in at the moment. I have a job offer and all going through at the moment. If i were to go out once i get my visa with just my OTSR, can i just walk in and get my provisional licence with my OTSR and start working for my employer, supervised and sort out my licence will working, or could i come up against some problems just trying to get my provisional.

cheers

jason

Hi Jason,

Yes you can apply to the Queensland Govt. for a training permit (restricted licence) which will allow you to work under supervision whilst filling in a log book. For info on that follow this LINK and look under sub heading for overseas applicants.

One of the RTO's that they speak of is called Queensland Electrical Training www.qet.edu.au/ I have been in contact with them and they speak of a 3 month time frame in obtaining a full Queensland A grade licence.

Regards Derren